I didn't choose mathematics extension 1 for year 11, is there any pathways i can take? I want to do mechanical engineering in UOW or UNSW which has ma (1 Viewer)

haiiic

HSC
I didn't choose mathematics extension 1 for year 11, is there any pathways i can take? I want to do mechanical engineering in UOW or UNSW which has mathematics extension 1 as assumed knowledge

Aeonium

HSC
N/A
I didn't choose mathematics extension 1 for year 11, is there any pathways i can take? I want to do mechanical engineering in UOW or UNSW which has mathematics extension 1 as assumed knowledge
assumed knowledge ≠ prerequisite
you can still enrol in those courses but they'll assume you've done the content (thought UNSW has math 1131/1141 which pretty much goes through it, although at a much quicker pace)

sheppy123

HSC
you can still get into the course even if you did math advanced.

mx1 is assumed knowledge but they go through the mx2 course within the first couple of weeks. you seriously need to grind after your HSC if you don't want to be 4 weeks behind everyone else and end up completely bombing it.

A bridging course will not be sufficient in your preparation for the course. You also must evaluate whether you'll be capable of doing maths at a level which may exceed/at the same level as 4u maths. Just something to consider.

SamDavisEnjoyer420

HSC
im doing compsci at unsw whilst barely getting through 2u (35 raw mark 😊)

while my degree is definitely not as maths heavy as mechanical engineering, maths at uni is rough... a lot of exercises i'm doing assume knowledge of combinatorics and writing up proofs which i did not know anything about until last week. they do run you through most things you need to know early but they do so at a very quick pace. so it is not impossible to get through maths courses without doing 3u or 4u but just know that you will be in a world of hurt if you don't make an effort to keep up early.

anyways, as uni progresses the differences between those who did advanced and 4u will even out as you gain more knowledge so if you really really want to do mechanical engineering and are willing to put in the work then i wouldn't worry about it too much for now

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)