I didn't speak Chinese for YEARS Should I do Background Speaker? (1 Viewer)

JJ_Lin

HSC
Hi!
I am very confused now, because I barely speak chinese anymore 1 year ago.
but for the preliminary course, I need 12 units and I am currently 11 now, so only 1 unit is missing. I don't know should I go with CBS and drop it in year 12 or just no do it at all

Thanks!

xxstef

languages are my world <3
HSC
well you need anotehr subject, so its either got to be chinese or pick up something else. if you have nothing else in mind, then go chinese, then drop it like you said.

H4wk1n4t0r

HSC
Probably not, but that depends on your previous knowledge of Chinese, and how much of it you can still remember. I've heard that its bloody hard, and doesn't scale that well either.

samthebear

HSC
Are you still fluent in chinese? (ie: can you think continuously in chinese without a break in thought where you go "What was that word again?")
How long have you been living in Australia? if its about a year or two, you're still alright for background chinese. any more and you'll find it'll be difficult because your fluency standard would've dropped expoentially from the time you arrived here and stopped using chinese as your main language for communication.

do background chinese if you think you're fluent enough to cope with the background chinese course but if at the end of prelims you find its too difficult or you just couldnt be bothered with it, just drop it. and its alright to fail epically on prelims since none of it counts.

vivaaviva

HSC
N/A
Hi!
I am very confused now, because I barely speak chinese anymore 1 year ago.
but for the preliminary course, I need 12 units and I am currently 11 now, so only 1 unit is missing. I don't know should I go with CBS and drop it in year 12 or just no do it at all

Thanks!
Well, if your written Chinese is good, then you just need more practice for speaking. Only 1 year isn't that bad! I would encouraging you to do CBS. After some practice I am sure you'll be fine.

ninetypercent

ninety ninety ninety
HSC
u can always do it and then drop it.
is there anything else you can pick from?

HSC
Uni Grad
lol don't do it coz it's so damn hard that not even mainlanders who come straight from China doing this course do well...
in fact its probably one of the hardest and worst courses you could possibly take...
its so hard and yet it scales so terribly...
and its hard to do well either...

student6625

HSC
you'll get raped by those internationals students for sure
Not really, I'm not an international student (came to Australia when I was 5) but I was still ranked in the top 10 for my assessment last year out of over 100 students (basically everyone was an international student). It doesn't really matter if you're not as good as them. As long as you know what you're writing you'll always get a reasonable mark.

Chinese Background = Standard English....

even internationals get 80s and scaled down to shit...
Apparently if you get above 90 it doesn't scale that bad...is that true?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)