I dont know how to study properly (1 Viewer)

HSC
the thought that im going up against 80000 students stresses me out. I dont know how im going to do this. Can someone give me their study tips or any guides that helped them. Much appreciated.
Standard math
Standard english
legal
business
pdhpe

MONONYMOUS

HSC
For me, I thought to make a flexible schedule was great. I knew a lot of kids that made like a timetable sort of thing, followed it for about 3 weeks and then stopped. If you have work, extracurricular activities, etc - this is great. So, I made a little table in a google document for each day, and it would say the time of day and next to it was the activity (whether it be school, study, etc). Having it on google documents meant I could access it on my phone from anywhere and make quick adjustments. For Math, in particular, you might say that you want to study 30 - 60 minutes a day because it's one of those subjects you really need to stay consistent with. As for Business, PDHPE and Legal, I'd have notes ready for the lesson in advance so when you're in class you're actually revising. I say this because they can be content-heavy (rote learning) subjects, and it'll benefit you to be hearing and re-learning content that you've already made notes for. For English, well, that subject is just fkd up. But I did quite well in all my internal assessments for Standard English, I just made sure I knew my prescribed text well - I suggest you submit several drafts to your teacher before handing in assignments. One more tip, when you get an assessment notification - start it legit straight away when you get home, there is usually nothing stopping you, so don't wait a week or two, just start it and keep submitting drafts.

Cherrybomb56

HSC
How? when did you start studying that much hours? From year 11?

idkkdi

HSC
the thought that im going up against 80000 students stresses me out. I dont know how im going to do this. Can someone give me their study tips or any guides that helped them. Much appreciated.
Standard math
Standard english
legal
business
pdhpe
The scaling of your subjects is pretty fked. If you are trying to get >90+ ATAR, your stress levels need to be at all-time highs, thereby forcing you to study. If you don't know how to effectively study and you're entering year 12, you're probably even more fked if you're aiming for 90+.

Travis Scott

HSC
Standard math
Standard english
legal
business
pdhpe
Wassup I am in the same pain as you, I want an 90+ atar but I want to maximize my study too.

HSC
For me, I thought to make a flexible schedule was great. I knew a lot of kids that made like a timetable sort of thing, followed it for about 3 weeks and then stopped. If you have work, extracurricular activities, etc - this is great. So, I made a little table in a google document for each day, and it would say the time of day and next to it was the activity (whether it be school, study, etc). Having it on google documents meant I could access it on my phone from anywhere and make quick adjustments. For Math, in particular, you might say that you want to study 30 - 60 minutes a day because it's one of those subjects you really need to stay consistent with. As for Business, PDHPE and Legal, I'd have notes ready for the lesson in advance so when you're in class you're actually revising. I say this because they can be content-heavy (rote learning) subjects, and it'll benefit you to be hearing and re-learning content that you've already made notes for. For English, well, that subject is just fkd up. But I did quite well in all my internal assessments for Standard English, I just made sure I knew my prescribed text well - I suggest you submit several drafts to your teacher before handing in assignments. One more tip, when you get an assessment notification - start it legit straight away when you get home, there is usually nothing stopping you, so don't wait a week or two, just start it and keep submitting drafts.
dude ur a beast thank u for this

Drdusk

HSC
Uni Grad
For English, well, that subject is just fkd up. But I did quite well in all my internal assessments for Standard English, I just made sure I knew my prescribed text well - I suggest you submit several drafts to your teacher before handing in assignments. One more tip, when you get an assessment notification - start it legit straight away when you get home, there is usually nothing stopping you, so don't wait a week or two, just start it and keep submitting drafts.
On the contrary I did so bad for all my English internals, but my schools internal moderation for English standard was so large lol. I got nothing but 60s in all assessments and my final mark was 85(external and internal) imao. I thought I would never reach my course requirement of a 96 atar lol.

deceased

HSC
id recommend experimenting with a bunch of study techniques and find your optimal study environment, plan eg study session length of 30min/1hr/2hr (though you should have done this in year 11). i think you should reflect on your year 11 results and how you studied, and think how you could have achieved better results. what would you change about your year 11 studies? what could you change? from there do the same thing for year 12.

in terms of study tips its the obvious - ensure you are not distracted, chuck your phone to your parents or lock it somewhere, go on airplane mode etc. its mostly about self-discipline and willpower tbh. good luck!

pikachu975

Premium Member
HSC
Standard math
Standard english
legal
business
pdhpe
Just don't think you're competing with 80,000 others. In reality you're competing against yourself - can you achieve the best possible mark that you can get? IMO after every assessment/exam you should reflect on what worked, what didn't work, then evaluate your study methods for next time. For example for me, memorising essays worked in year 11 english. Then year 12 came along and I did bad in 2 assessments that involved an essay so I was confused why it wasn't working anymore. I decided to memorise quotes instead then went from nearly lost out of 35ish students up to 5th. Another example is 4u maths where I got I think 77 in the final trial (we had 3 trials) and I decided that I needed to change HOW I approached the past papers. For example I tried to develop a better mindset when thinking of how to do questions by looking at the solutions and thinking "how did they think of this step, what info should I look for to determine my first step". Rather than just scanning the solutions and being like "oh ok I get it" this was much more effective and I ended up getting 90+ raw in the HSC.

Anyway for memorising subjects I printed out the syllabus and highlighted the dot points I DEFINITELY was confident in answering. If I was 50/50 I didn't highlight it. Then I just went through and studied each dot point by reading the notes a few times then trying to summarise the main points without looking (in my head or out loud). After I was done I just highlighted it. I found that highlighting it as you go gives you motivation as it makes you feel like you're making good progress!

I think flash cards can be quite useful too, I used the app called anki a little bit (not too much I mainly did the method above).

For maths definitely the approach I described earlier with doing a lot of past papers and for hard questions thinking of new ways to approach them. Also I found that understanding the content helped since if there's an unexpected question that you haven't seen before you can still answer it well.

ALSO A GREATTTTT method when I was doing biology was to get a friend or friends and do the same past paper then give it to each other to mark and give feedback on. My friends and I were strict on each other and doing this allowed us to see how others would answer the question while also getting feedback on our own answers. I ended up getting 96 in biology and this was definitely a key factor - WORK WITH YOUR PEERS!!

Sorry long answer hope it helped!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)