I don't know if I should drop or continue chemistry (1 Viewer)

ni2h

HSC
Heeyy, i was wondering if i should continue or drop chemistry because i got quite an average and low (barely passing) mark for my term 1 exam. The cohort average was 50% but the highest mark was 80%. My teacher is also extremely annoying and scolded me in front of everyone for getting low saying he had high expectations for me. Its not necessarily the subject I find hard but I definitely have to pull all nighters sometimes since its a LOT of content and my teacher just gives us so much homework. I honestly just hate the teacher a lot and he really makes me want to drop. I want to do medicine in university, preferably orthodontics or dermatology which don't really need chemistry. I'm also doing advanced math and english, biology, business studies and visual arts

Cherryy9

HSC
You may think you don’t need chemistry, but it will come up in uni during the first couple years!

Armon

HSC
Heeyy, i was wondering if i should continue or drop chemistry because i got quite an average and low (barely passing) mark for my term 1 exam. The cohort average was 50% but the highest mark was 80%. My teacher is also extremely annoying and scolded me in front of everyone for getting low saying he had high expectations for me. Its not necessarily the subject I find hard but I definitely have to pull all nighters sometimes since its a LOT of content and my teacher just gives us so much homework. I honestly just hate the teacher a lot and he really makes me want to drop. I want to do medicine in university, preferably orthodontics or dermatology which don't really need chemistry. I'm also doing advanced math and english, biology, business studies and visual arts
First of all, basing it just on your subjects getting into medicine will be practically impossible, I don't know a single person who did it without 4u let alone terrible scalars like VA and Business. There is arguably more chemistry in a medicine degree than there is biology, and you will certainly need to do plenty of it in uni, although uni chemistry is way different from HSC. Additionally, HSC chemistry is not considered content heavy and I have no clue why you would be pulling all nighters for it; thats probably whats hurting your marks. If you're serious about doing something health related, get a tutor and give it another go. Not like you can drop right now anyways because you need 12 units for year 11.

SadCeliac

done hsc yay
HSC
Regardless of what @Armon is saying, you can still find ways into Med via gateways and other similar degrees (I know lots of people doing things like Biomed as a pathway) even without doing 4u / getting 99.95 ATAR. Of course keeping Chem is up to you, if you think you'll be able to do better by dropping it and focussing more on other subjects, you could try that? Another suggestion could be to really sit down and try figure out where and why you are not performing as well in Chem - eg maybe you missed crucial understanding in a chem Mod, or maybe it's your exam technique, or maybe you just need to find a better way of learning the content (e.g. mindmaps vs note taking - idrk). In the end it will be your decision, but before you (if you choose to) drop, you should speak to your Chem teacher and/or to a different advisor (our school had a head of learning, maybe you have similar)?

Good luck with the decision, and if I were you, I would reach out here to hear from what other people have to say :)

Last edited:

kkk579

hello
HSC
Its only prelims so i wouldnt make such a rash decision to drop yet LMAO, i agree with armon that you should probably find a tutor which can cater to your needs. A tutor will also also help reduce your workload, stress and give you more time to do practice qs since they have all the learning material ready for you instead of you trying to search for things and teach yourself.

kkk579

hello
HSC
Its only prelims so i wouldnt make such a rash decision to drop yet LMAO, i agree with armon that you should probably find a tutor which can cater to your needs. A tutor will also also help reduce your workload, stress and give you more time to do practice qs since they have all the learning material ready for you instead of you trying to search for things and teach yourself.
As for the teacher aspect best thing you can do now is push through, improve and prove him wrong🤷‍♀️🤷‍♀️

SadCeliac

done hsc yay
HSC
Oh yeah I forgot - Year 11 is usually harder than Year 12 imo lol

ni2h

HSC
trueee hahah a lot of smarter people have dropped already which made me consider if I'm even smart enough to do this but I don't wanna be too quick in finalising my decision

ni2h

HSC
First of all, basing it just on your subjects getting into medicine will be practically impossible, I don't know a single person who did it without 4u let alone terrible scalars like VA and Business. There is arguably more chemistry in a medicine degree than there is biology, and you will certainly need to do plenty of it in uni, although uni chemistry is way different from HSC. Additionally, HSC chemistry is not considered content heavy and I have no clue why you would be pulling all nighters for it; thats probably whats hurting your marks. If you're serious about doing something health related, get a tutor and give it another go. Not like you can drop right now anyways because you need 12 units for year 11.
Oh damn 😭 I see, I'll keep this in mind
thank you for your replyyy!!

ni2h

HSC
I mean I found it much more annoying in year 11, but that might have been because I wasn't used to it?? Idrk lol
Yeahh I think I just need to study harder haha, I feel like I got the topics down but its always during the exams where I mess everything up :frown2:

Armon

HSC
Regardless of what @Armon is saying, you can still find ways into Med via gateways and other similar degrees (I know lots of people doing things like Biomed as a pathway) even without doing 4u / getting 99.95 ATAR. Of course keeping Chem is up to you, if you think you'll be able to do better by dropping it and focussing more on other subjects, you could try that? Another suggestion could be to really sit down and try figure out where and why you are not performing as well in Chem - eg maybe you missed crucial understanding in a chem Mod, or maybe it's your exam technique, or maybe you just need to find a better way of learning the content (e.g. mindmaps vs note taking - idrk). In the end it will be your decision, but before you (if you choose to) drop, you should speak to your Chem teacher and/or to a different advisor (our school had a head of learning, maybe you have similar)?

Good luck with the decision, and if I were you, I would reach out here to hear from what other people have to say :)
You would be correct about all of this, but unfortunately my ATAR was higher than yours so you are not. Cheers 😄

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)