I don't know what I want to study :( (1 Viewer)

cripysandwhich

HSC
I'm a first year currently studying science as a Dalyell scholar at the university of Sydney and I'm really unsure of the degree I want to study. I don't particularly see a future in what I'm studying now and if I want to continue in science I think I would like to transfer into Bachelor of Vetsci/ Doctor of Veterinary med or try (Human) medicine. However, I also know I'm better at design and art, and I'm not sure if I should pursue this through UTS (bachelor of communications and creative intelligence uts) or USYD (bachelor (hons)/ master of architecture) although I haven't felt inspired to make any art/design since the end of high school.
I would like a financially stable/ well off future (because I grew up relativity poorish) but I also don't want to be blinded by this fact.
Any suggestions are welcome please!

quickoats

HSC
I'm a first year currently studying science as a Dalyell scholar at the university of Sydney and I'm really unsure of the degree I want to study. I don't particularly see a future in what I'm studying now and if I want to continue in science I think I would like to transfer into Bachelor of Vetsci/ Doctor of Veterinary med or try (Human) medicine. However, I also know I'm better at design and art, and I'm not sure if I should pursue this through UTS (bachelor of communications and creative intelligence uts) or USYD (bachelor (hons)/ master of architecture) although I haven't felt inspired to make any art/design since the end of high school.
I would like a financially stable/ well off future (because I grew up relativity poorish) but I also don't want to be blinded by this fact.
Hi! Don’t stress too much - a lot of people are in the same boat in first year (me included :)). What major/double major/minor are you doing in your science degree at the moment? What inspired you to pick it? Do you enjoy it or hate it at the moment?

cripysandwhich

HSC
Hi! Don’t stress too much - a lot of people are in the same boat in first year (me included :)). What major/double major/minor are you doing in your science degree at the moment? What inspired you to pick it? Do you enjoy it or hate it at the moment?
thanks for replying!!
I'm doing a major in Biology and Visual arts because those were my favourite subjects in high school and I couldn't choose 😅.
I'm enjoying sitting in lectures and learning about bio and my animal subjects but the maths in science is not fun. at all.
Visual arts is ok but I think thats mostly due to the fact we're doing foundations (which I'va already done alot of in highschool) and social isolation hasnt allowed us to do much studio work.
Any suggestions?

Drdusk

HSC
Uni Grad
thanks for replying!!
I'm doing a major in Biology and Visual arts because those were my favourite subjects in high school and I couldn't choose 😅.
I'm enjoying sitting in lectures and learning about bio and my animal subjects but the maths in science is not fun. at all.
Visual arts is ok but I think thats mostly due to the fact we're doing foundations (which I'va already done alot of in highschool) and social isolation hasnt allowed us to do much studio work.
Any suggestions?
Do you enjoy it?

What is the reason you don't see a future in it? Is it the lack of jobs, or the pay, or that you don't enjoy it THAT much etc etc..?? What's the specific reason because it makes a world of difference as to what would be the best choice.

cripysandwhich

HSC
Do you enjoy it?

What is the reason you don't see a future in it? Is it the lack of jobs, or the pay, or that you don't enjoy it THAT much etc etc..?? What's the specific reason because it makes a world of difference as to what would be the best choice.
I do quite enjoy it (but I will say its hard to gauge because of social isolation, I haven't had many classes)
I think with doing a Biology major the pay isn't fantastic and It's too broad. I'm also liking enjoying my Vet elective more. I think I just feel as there are better, more fun and interesting things to learn.
PLus I have no idea where Visual arts would lead anywhere so I was thinking Architecture or Visual communication would lead to a better creative career.
Sorry I'm SO indecisive! :awesome:

pikachu975

Premium Member
HSC
Honestly I agree that it's so hard to know what you want to study because I started actuarial studies in 2018, then in 2019 I thought I didn't like it since I literally had zero motivation so I changed to data science. However when I enrolled in the 3rd trimester and still I had no motivation I realised it was just my mental state so I went back to actuarial studies in 2020 with improved mental health. Anyway even back in my original degree I do have doubts sometimes like, damn what if I was doing comp sci rather than this, what if I tried hard in that UNSW trimester then applied for dentistry (since I originally wanted to be a doctor).

But yea then again I realised that, at least in my opinion, you won't FULLY enjoy your job your entire life, unless I guess it's your ultimate passion that you've wanted forever, but I'm sure after like 20 years, everything would get a bit boring at least. I guess it's good to pick something that earns good money but you won't hate/at least decently enjoy.

I think I'm in the same boat as you and want to be well off in the future, due to growing up poorish (average), e.g. family renting our whole life, struggling sometimes with bills. So in that sense I don't think it's bad to pick something for the money if you at least decently enjoy it - so that your kids and obviously yourself can have a better future of course.

Anyway sorry for the long post but in specific relation to your post I guess the only thing you could do is research a lot what various jobs are like - ask friends, family, etc. You could connect with people in the fields on LINKEDIN and ask them what their job is like if you really wanted to! Ask friends and family for advice too - when I made my decision to change it was a bit impulsive so definitely ask people around you for advice, they're there to help.

Let me know if you need more help! Just remember that even if you waste 3 years doing a degree and you don't like the job, you'll still only be like 21-22 when you start your next degree which is quite young :)

HSC
N/A
Honestly I agree that it's so hard to know what you want to study because I started actuarial studies in 2018, then in 2019 I thought I didn't like it since I literally had zero motivation so I changed to data science. However when I enrolled in the 3rd trimester and still I had no motivation I realised it was just my mental state so I went back to actuarial studies in 2020 with improved mental health. Anyway even back in my original degree I do have doubts sometimes like, damn what if I was doing comp sci rather than this, what if I tried hard in that UNSW trimester then applied for dentistry (since I originally wanted to be a doctor).

But yea then again I realised that, at least in my opinion, you won't FULLY enjoy your job your entire life, unless I guess it's your ultimate passion that you've wanted forever, but I'm sure after like 20 years, everything would get a bit boring at least. I guess it's good to pick something that earns good money but you won't hate/at least decently enjoy.

I think I'm in the same boat as you and want to be well off in the future, due to growing up poorish (average), e.g. family renting our whole life, struggling sometimes with bills. So in that sense I don't think it's bad to pick something for the money if you at least decently enjoy it - so that your kids and obviously yourself can have a better future of course.

Anyway sorry for the long post but in specific relation to your post I guess the only thing you could do is research a lot what various jobs are like - ask friends, family, etc. You could connect with people in the fields on LINKEDIN and ask them what their job is like if you really wanted to! Ask friends and family for advice too - when I made my decision to change it was a bit impulsive so definitely ask people around you for advice, they're there to help.

Let me know if you need more help! Just remember that even if you waste 3 years doing a degree and you don't like the job, you'll still only be like 21-22 when you start your next degree which is quite young :)
This was so reassuring to read! It’s good to know other people are also struggling through this stuff! Best of luck for your degree!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)