I don't understand... (1 Viewer)

HSC
okay so

the school sends in our school marks and school ranks.

then we do the hsc. the raw marks we get for the hsc are "aligned"??? Is this aligned mark know as the "external Mark"???

Our school marks then get aligned in accordance to my school's HSC performance. So this is now the "school mark"

So then we now have a school aligned mark and an aligned external Mark. This is then averaged. So we now have a "HSC mark", from the school and external combined.

This HSC Mark then gets sent to the UAC for further scaling.

But does the UAC's new scaled mark appear on our HSC report??!?! Do we actually know what it scales down to?

I'm confused or have I got this all wrong....

aphorae

HSC
Uni Grad
School mark -> you mean internal mark
Hmm it's not 'further' scaling, it's just 'scaling' (vs. aligning)
No it doesn't appear, but you can view the scaling report for each year which gives you a pretty good idea.

You basically have it right though. Think of the ATAR as a rank out of the entire HSC cohort. Since each subject has a different difficulty, they have to 'scale' it to determine an appropriate rank, otherwise it'd be pretty unfair.

2010 UAC Scaling Report
http://www.uac.edu.au/documents/atar/2010-ScalingReport.pdf

BOS explanation of the Record of Achievement (+ other stuff) + pics
http://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/hsc-results/credentials.html

HSC
thanks so much!!!

I get it now. I was thinking how screwed I was if I got the marks that UAC scaled me with.

Say I got 80 in legal (average of moderated, aligned INTERNALS + aligned externals) , and it scaled down to 60 after UAC, then how terrible would it look if I got 60 on my HSC report of marks?!

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
thanks so much!!!

I get it now. I was thinking how screwed I was if I got the marks that UAC scaled me with.

Say I got 80 in legal (average of moderated, aligned INTERNALS + aligned externals) , and it scaled down to 60 after UAC, then how terrible would it look if I got 60 on my HSC report of marks?!
Scaled marks don't appear on your HSC report because the scaling is NOT done by the Board of Studies and is a separate thing.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)