• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

I dug my own grave today (signed up for ex2 english) (4 Viewers)

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Giant Lobster
I think i made a big mistake... now that i look back at why / what i did, i just cant comprehend. like, i already got my ext2 math signed (cos im a math nerd) but out of impulse i got my ext2 english signed. now i got both. am i dead? yes.
and secondly ppl say shit like if u survive ex2 english ur a war hero (wtf?!) omg omg omg wats a major work? i dont wanna do one. but im a dumbass that signed up for ex2 eng and now im in for a ride. yeh ino some of u r gonna bash on my actions immediately, but i wanna see how far i get before i break down and pull a school shooting out. hahaha im so dead

can u ex2 ppl gimme some insight as to how dead i am / what im in for? i.e. is it hard? to what extent? suicidal thoughts? self mutilation? daily ritual animal sacrifices? erm... hmm.. thanks.

....and thus the corruption begins!!!

muahahahha welcome to the dark side!!

Giant Lobster

HSC
Don't forget that you have to relate what you do to either the EE1 course of Advanced course from year 11 or 12.
ohhh crap.. didnt see that one coming.

so wat shud i do if im not analytical nor creative? besides dropping... :) hmm

For example, I constructed a website on Fairytale Psychology.
see i have this thing with webdesign where i spend 90% on how cool it looks and i wont get any actual content in for a long time... do markers care whether ur site looks aiight or not? and does the site need to stick to one set purpose, like say u did fairytale psychology, was ur site wholly analyses on psychological insight / implications etc of fairytales? if so, that be kinda hard cos its a website. it it were somefin like a crit response then i cud see it being done but... ugh so confused.

Saul

*ss
HSC
i do 4 math, 4 english physics and chem, and by far the hardest is 2 unit english.

D

Desperado

Hey I'm in year 11 and also chose ext 2 for next year...
I'm kinda worried though cos I'm also doing drama... which means im gonna have 2 major works due within about a week of eachother i think... kinda freaky...
I think I'll probably do a critical response, I'm not completely sure what on yet, what kind of critical responses have people done in the past?

babydoll_

wat
HSC
N/A
if you have a look in the forum, youll see that both Jinglebell and I have done critical responses on "The Simpsons".

mine analysed "The Simpsons" in terms of its reflection on American society.

Jinglebell related "The Simpsons" to Shakespearean aspects - i think thats right!

you can write a critical response on almost anything, as long as you can relate it to an aspect of your regular English course, and as long as you have a thesis to follow.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Desperado
I'm kinda worried though cos I'm also doing drama... which means im gonna have 2 major works due within about a week of eachother i think... kinda freaky...
I think I'll probably do a critical response, I'm not completely sure what on yet, what kind of critical responses have people done in the past?

he dun worry, friend is doing, all creative arts ( music, drama and art ) and basically he is screwed hehe

but its not that hard...trust me...haha nah who could trust me :D

Jinglebell

HSC
Originally posted by babydoll_
if you have a look in the forum, youll see that both Jinglebell and I have done critical responses on "The Simpsons".

mine analysed "The Simpsons" in terms of its reflection on American society.

Jinglebell related "The Simpsons" to Shakespearean aspects - i think thats right!

you can write a critical response on almost anything, as long as you can relate it to an aspect of your regular English course, and as long as you have a thesis to follow.
nice remembering babydoll, basically i just compared the two in terms of the themes of race, religion and gender...

and yeah, pretty much anything goes...of the two other critical response girls at my school, one did the interrelationship of love and death in victorian literature, and the other did good and evil in 'lord of the rings'...although all three of us were mightily upstaged by the other girl who did an absolutely hilarious video:p

Giant Lobster

HSC
EXTENSION 2 ENGLISH IS OVER!!! WOOHOO!!!
ur sig dun look very promising... :(

how long is a critical response? i always struggle with word length... and do u find urself running out of commonly used phrases / words like "in turn - in doing so - therefore - furthermore - in relation to - in contrast with - in comparison" etc etc ? cos i can see that they wud be used heaps if it were a critical response. unless i got my definition of a critical resp all wrong / i dunno how to write beyond a yr 10 lvl :rolleyes:... i imagine that would be hard to overcome if a response was 7k++ words long... .woe is me. :(

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
dont worry it comes to you naturally...youll have many many revisions to fix everything up, dont think of it as one project think of it as an ongoing series of tasks culminatiing in the major work...since your response would probably change from the original concept, etc....

speaking from experience my original intention to do a website was dashed and then the story not only changed from a conventional hero/badguy to schizophrenic rock self eulogising upon the true nature of humanity and its ultimate destruction..

soo you see its a good choice and like i stated b4 i wuld not swap that year for anything else

Giant Lobster

HSC
uhh but its possible to finish the whole work in say 1 or 2 weeks of holidays right? if i dedicate say 4 hours / day to get it all done...

Saul

*ss
HSC
yeah thats what i did, and got it done alright

babydoll_

wat
HSC
N/A
uhh but its possible to finish the whole work in say 1 or 2 weeks of holidays right? if i dedicate say 4 hours / day to get it all done...
that COULD work but you shouldnt really do it like that.
After a term or two of extensive research, you should start composing... that way you have about 1 term to compose... 1 term to edit... and you must also take into account that you'll have tasks such as the Report, the Viva Voces etc. to do as well.

fwuxed

Channeling Ki
HSC
ahh crap, work for more than 1 day?
that's not cool
:(

fuk dat, i'll just drop it :D

----------

wtf's a viva via viw weweee whateva?

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
ARE YOU INSANE ??? .... sure you probably could... but that would defeat the purpose of doing Extension 2!!!...you signed in cos you WANT to be stressed, to be panic-striken, to be driven to the point of madness ( or pushed over )...thats what it is to be a true Extension 2 student :D

Saul

*ss
HSC
from experience, doing the whole thing in a single week (more or less), can be very stressful. Don't listen to all these people who say you got to spend an entire year on the work. i mean, you can if you want, all it does is alleviate the stress off a single week in the holidays, right before trials. You can do it in a week if you got any motivation, and if you already got the ideas.

Jinglebell

HSC
Originally posted by AsyLum
ARE YOU INSANE ??? .... sure you probably could... but that would defeat the purpose of doing Extension 2!!!...you signed in cos you WANT to be stressed, to be panic-striken, to be driven to the point of madness ( or pushed over )...thats what it is to be a true Extension 2 student :D
exactly...i say that those who finish early and condescendingly watch the stress-monkeys half kill themselves are bad sports and not a true part of the ext 2 community.

babydoll_

wat
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by fwuxed
wtf's a viva via viw weweee whateva?
at our school, it is a 6 to 8 minute presentation (or speech) about the research and process of composing your MW.

Giant Lobster

HSC
apart from the viva voce is there any other reason of why i shud spread my workload throughout the year?

wat i figured was to fabricate everything (i fabricate everything, from experimental data in sciences to... life in general:D). i.e. have an archive of some sort, and being able to pull out journals for relevant dates. that wud be cool, having everything prepared after the christmas holidays. wud that work? hehehe

sugaryblue

Living on deficit
HSC
Originally posted by Desperado
My advice for you is that make sure you have a well-organised timetable. and Most IMPORTANTLY follow it!!

you see, this girl in my school. she was doing two major works at the same time. DT and English Ext 2. She started late in Ext 2 and I mean really really late. I don't know her progress in DT but she ended up dropping it.

Ext 2 english is not as freaky as it sounds if you plan yourself well. in fact, it is a subject that i really enjoyed doing. I dare say that it's the most relaxing subject that I have done (not necessarily saying that I am gonna get a good mark for it though. I grow to hate my MW. In fact, I grow to hate everything I do! Anywayz...)

There is a diversity of critical responses and some of the styles are very unique. I suggest you to have a look at the Major Work Showcase (you lucky year 11, so many show cases to look at!!)

Good luck and have fun!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 4)