I gained an interview for a UNISS scholarship, but I am a little torn. (1 Viewer)

Shakugan

HSC
To my delight, I discovered a letter from the Engineering department of the University of Newcastle in my mailbox. It turns out, my application for a UNISS scholarship (Electrical Engineering) has passed the initial stages.

Thus, I have an interview scheduled in the near future.

Here is where my problem begins. The company that has professed interest in my application is a power distribution company. Unfortunately, my interest in electrical engineering is primarily in the electronics field.

I worry that this fact will be quite obvious during the interview, as I will not lie to gain the scholarship. I am sure that each company will want chose an individual who they believe has a high chance of working for them in the future.

Even if I did somehow manage to gain the scholarship, would it even be worth it? I belive the UNISS scholarships have a years break before 4th year in which the scholar works with the company in question. If this work is unrelated to my intended field, does it defeat the purpose of having the scholarship in the first place?

The best thing of course would be if the company in question has some sort of work that suits me, but I am not sure how realistic that hope actually is.

Any input would be appreciated.

jumb

mr jumb
HSC
Shakugan said:
Even if I did somehow manage to gain the scholarship, would it even be worth it?
Is free money worth it? It sure is.

It's what I want that's easy. It's getting it that
HSC
how do you know that you won't love the different direction unless you try it?
Don't limit yourself with your preconceptions.

Try to win the scholarship, not the job. Once you have the job and the degree, then you can follow the electronics field. You'll be the type of person potential employers would want to listen to at that point (ie: knowledge and experience) if you decide that you really dont want to stay with the 'UNISS company'

Last edited:

Captain Gh3y

Rhinorhondothackasaurus
HSC
I've done an interview for an EE uniss scholarship so ask me anything :D

You're 10 times more likely to get a job in electronics with 5 years experience in power than no experience at all, plus you'll be about 80 grand ahead, so take it 100%, if you can.

Captain Gh3y

Rhinorhondothackasaurus
HSC
3unitz said:
is it free money? dont you have to work for them for a year and the amount of money you get out of the scholarship similar to a starting salary?
they pay yer uni fees & you work in the holidays and also work for one year between years 3 & 4 of the degree

how much cashmoney it's worth depends on which company sponsors you, when i went for one EnergyAustralia was worth 80k and macquarie generation was worth 47k (from memory!) so it depends :D

mrbassman

0.38 posts per day...meh
HSC
1. what do you mean by electronics?
2. EA or MacGen? Integral, Country?
3. Take the first three years then bail out before your years work.

Big money in power electronics/engineering

Ashlee4988

HSC
My friend got into a UNISS scholarship for Chem Eng in 2005 and he's still stuck in it and hates it because he has to work for them in the holidays for virtually nothing and a few other things that are restricting what he wants to do with his career. I guess it depends on what kind of person you are and what you want to do, but he's told me he thinks he would've been better off to just collect the HECS debt coz its not like its that hard to pay off in ten years when you're earning 80k+

random1990

HSC
what sort of things are you preparing for the interview, and how long are these interviews typically? what sort of questions will they ask and what information do you think we'll need to know?

Captain Gh3y

Rhinorhondothackasaurus
HSC
Obviously you have to know what the format of the scholarship is

Be prepared to talk about yourself a lot, in detail

Have a whole pile of extracurricular activities that make you look like an upstanding community member, and if you don't I'd probably fake some, this is really important

You'll probably (well, I did) get a little test on basic circuit theory like Ohm's law and transformers so make sure u know that stuff, they just ask u do do it in the interview lol

Don't mention school when they ask you what you like or what you're good at because everyone who gets an interview is, it just pisses them off lol

Have some elaborate reason for why you want to get a scholarship and why you should get a scholarship

Have a really elaborate understanding of what things like "leadership" and "teamwork" are

Prepare some questions to ask them other than relating to money or the technical details of the scholarship

It's about half an hour, depends how elaborate your responses are I guess, the more you say the better.

Last edited:

random1990

HSC
thanks a lot!!
Captain Gh3y said:
Obviously you have to know what the format of the scholarship is
what do you mean by this?

Captain Gh3y said:
Be prepared to talk about yourself a lot, in detail
i should be able to do this

Captain Gh3y said:
Have a whole pile of extracurricular activities that make you look like an upstanding community member, and if you don't I'd probably fake some, this is really important
things like say charity (walk against want, red cross calling door knock appeal etc?

Captain Gh3y said:
You'll probably (well, I did) get a little test on basic circuit theory like Ohm's law and transformers so make sure u know that stuff, they just ask u do do it in the interview lol
just like V = IR , P = IV, and how how transformers work based on conservation of energy and that "changing magnetic field induces a changing current" thing?

Captain Gh3y said:
Don't mention school when they ask you what you like or what you're good at because everyone who gets an interview is, it just pisses them off lol
could i say things like i have an interest in computers, and electrical things. since i was young i've been playing with little electrical toys, pulling broken things apart with dad etc. then also interests in computers, sports, hanging out with friends?

Captain Gh3y said:
Have some elaborate reason for why you want to get a scholarship and why you should get a scholarship
is it better to say that you're interested in the scholarship for the industry links and recognition, and you consider the monetary value a bonus? and what's a good way to say why you should get the scholarship without sounding up yourself? "i've always had a very keen interest in electrical engineering and i think i would perform very well in this course. i beleive when you have an enjoyment in an area, you will naturally put more time into it and perform better"?

Captain Gh3y said:
Have a really elaborate understanding of what things like "leadership" and "teamwork" are
i'll find better definitions, but could i say playing ice hockey, being a captain, being a referee has developed my leadership qualities and teamwork skills?

Captain Gh3y said:
Prepare some questions to ask them other than relating to money or the technical details of the scholarship
i really have no idea what to ask lol :( any ideas?

Captain Gh3y said:
It's about half an hour, depends how elaborate your responses are I guess, the more you say the better.
thanks again!! you have no idea how much i appreciate it

Captain Gh3y

Rhinorhondothackasaurus
HSC
random1990 said:
thanks a lot!!
what do you mean by this?
Just the first 3 years of uni, one year of work and then final year of uni, how it works sort of thing, they'll ask you that first.

things like say charity (walk against want, red cross calling door knock appeal etc?
Yeah I guess. That's not essential, stuff like sports & hobbies and so on are good

just like V = IR , P = IV, and how how transformers work based on conservation of energy and that "changing magnetic field induces a changing current" thing?
Yeah, voltage or power drops with V=IR on series and parallel circuits, the change in current/voltage with transformers and also identifying components in circuit diagrams.

i'll find better definitions, but could i say playing ice hockey, being a captain, being a referee has developed my leadership qualities and teamwork skills?
yeah that sort of thing, then they might say "how have they?" so cover that too

random1990

HSC
thanks =]
it's all over now!! hope i did well =]
whats heaps shit though is that overall for UNISS there are 68 interviews and 27 scholarships being offered, so chances are pretty good, but for electrical engineering there were 7 interviews with only 1 scholarship being offered...
leaving for schoolies this arvo! =]
thanks again =]

jumb

mr jumb
HSC
better than a slap on the face

random1990

HSC
turns out i did get offered it but now i have to choose between UNISS and the energy australia cadetship!

blue_chameleon

Shake the sauce bottle yo
HSC
random1990 said:
turns out i did get offered it but now i have to choose between UNISS and the energy australia cadetship!
Definately go with Energy Aus. You can basically write your own pay cheques in electrical engineering (as mrbassman stated earlier).

My brother has come from the bottom up through Country Energy, got in through TAFE qualifications, and is now doing his part of his degree by distance ed. He's 24 and on six figures, even without a degree yet.

If I had the brains for engineering, thats where I'd go for the money.

Last edited:

random1990

HSC
blue_chameleon said:
Definately go with Energy Aus. You can basically write your own pay cheques in electrical engineering (as mrbassman stated earlier).

My brother has come from the bottom up through Country Energy, got in through TAFE qualifications, and is now doing his part of his degree by distance ed. He's 24 and on six figures, even without a degree yet.

If I had the brains for engineering, thats where I'd go for the money.
Yeah I was pretty sure I was gunna go with Energy Aus.
Both are 5 years, with basically same structure (first 3 years uni with work in the holidays, 4th year full time work, 5th year back to uni).
I can go to Newcastle Uni with both.
I guess UNISS is more prestigious and industry recognized.
The Energy Australia one is a cadetship, whereas UNISS is a scholarship (not actually sure if there is a difference between the two).
Energy Aus is worth around $130k before taxes, whereas UNISS is around $80k.

So at the moment I'm leaning towards Energy Aus.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)