I get wat HECS-help is..but what is with the contrib. of $500+ to get a 20% off (1 Viewer)

Arowana21

HSC
N/A
yeah, i was just wondering what this extra bit is about?
I know what HECS is...but just wondering with the student contribution of at least 500 dollars and u get a 20% off or something?

What does it mean?What do u do?

plz help..

uhawww

Flakes
HSC
Fairly straight forward. You pay off over $500 of your HECS as a voluntary payment and you'll get a 20% discount on whatever you pay.

КГБ

Banned
HSC
i thought you if you pay a $500 voluntary payment they count that as $625 being payed?

Arowana21

HSC
N/A
what do u mean 20% of whatever i pay for???
From what i have read.
U fill in the HECS form and give in ur TFN to the ATO and thus all the uni fees will be handled by the ATO and thus in the future u will have a debt with ATO.
From what ur saying is it that, if u pay $500, then whatever ATO pays in regards with uni fees, u will get 20% off those uni fees and thus supposedly, in future will work out to be less debt?
If i dont explain my worries that well, i will give u an example of what i think this whole thing is about.
EXAMPLE:
If u didnt give the 500 dollars, and lets just say ur semester 1 uni fee is $3000 ( i dunno whether the fees are per semester, so correct me if i am wrong), and then with HECS u will have to pay the 3000 back when u start working later.

If U DID pay the 500 contribution, then using the top example, u would get 20% off the 3000 dollars for the semester?right??? and then 20% off the next fee and so on right?????

please explain more??.....

kerlon44

HSC
I still haven't found out the student fees per semester I have to pay for civil engineering. Could anyone please give me an estimate or something?

sunny

meh.
HSC
u would get 20% off the 3000 dollars for the semester?right??? and then 20% off the next fee and so on right?????
Not 20% off $3,000! There's not a lot of incentive to pay more than $500 if you get the 20% discount straight away is there? You get a discount equivalent to 20% of the amount that you paid, so they more you pay up front, the bigger the discount is going to be.

kerlon44 said:
I still haven't found out the student fees per semester I have to pay for civil engineering. Could anyone please give me an estimate or something?
Subject fees vary based on which faculty teaches it.
University of New South Wales - - Tuition & Study Fees - Fees & Living Expenses, UNSW International

DownInFlames

Token Member
where I spend the vast majority of my time
HSC
what do u mean 20% of whatever i pay for???
From what i have read.
U fill in the HECS form and give in ur TFN to the ATO and thus all the uni fees will be handled by the ATO and thus in the future u will have a debt with ATO.
From what ur saying is it that, if u pay $500, then whatever ATO pays in regards with uni fees, u will get 20% off those uni fees and thus supposedly, in future will work out to be less debt?
If i dont explain my worries that well, i will give u an example of what i think this whole thing is about.
EXAMPLE:
If u didnt give the 500 dollars, and lets just say ur semester 1 uni fee is $3000 ( i dunno whether the fees are per semester, so correct me if i am wrong), and then with HECS u will have to pay the 3000 back when u start working later.

If U DID pay the 500 contribution, then using the top example, u would get 20% off the 3000 dollars for the semester?right??? and then 20% off the next fee and so on right?????

please explain more??.....
If you only contributed $500, you wouldn't get 20% of the whole lot.

I'm paying my whole fee up-front, so I'm not 100% sure,

but basically how it works is:

If your semester fees as $3000,

by paying up front you will only need to pay $2400

if you make a contribution of $500 up-front, and defer the rest of the fee, they will take $625 off your debt, so you now owe $2375 (note they will not discount this amount the 20%

if you pay any amount over $500, the calculation is $A divide by 80, multiply by 100 = amount you reduce your debt by.

They should send you an information booklet that details exactly how this works, and you'll need to fill out an application form for HECS-HELP

Kujah

HSC
N/A
$500 = $600 dollar off your contribution (add 20% extra)

Arowana21

HSC
N/A
Oh man I'm so confused now, is it $500 plus 20%, or pay 80% of the larger amount? well, shit. I'm sure you'll figure it out from the book thingo.
just read this
Payment options & HECS-HELP
they actually give examples

either u defer all ur payment.

or u pay exactly 80% of ur fees and the govt pays 20%, and u dont need to repay them the 20%.

or u pay AT LEAST $500 to get a bonus 20% of added value to what u contributed, so there u are contributing $600. Minus this value from your total school fees. so for example if ur fees are $3000 then u do, 3000-600=2400. BUT since ur with HECSHELP, the govt also pays the 2400, BUT, then u incur a HECS debt of 2400. PS: you do not need to repay the extra 20% of added value to the govt, ONLY the 2400.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)