• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

i HATE maths (1 Viewer)

Danoz The Great

HSC
omigodwhenover said:
i suck at advanced maths, ive failed it in year 9 and was put into intermediate where i excelled and i find it not easy but not hard, not really challenging. I think there should be another maths inbetween, what do you guys think?
I was easily capable of doing 3 unit if I kept working in year 10 the way I did in year 9, however I grew up. :rolleyes:

Anyways, to answer your question, after the marking of last years HSC papers there was some discussion by maths teachers about this. Their arguements were:
* standard maths students cannot comeplete general maths: general maths was originally constructed for standard students to be able to continue.
* the large differences in course difficulties between general and mathematics.

But I've heard nothing of this issue since. :(

success

HSC
finally, a thread i belong in! LOL

I hate maths too!

although, it is a lot easier if you can appreciate the practicality of it. although there is a fair bit that you may never use, there is some relevant stuff, particularly the financial mathematics-one area that i get 100% lol!

anyway, goodluck everyone in your mathematical adventures! lol

p.s. i hate maths!

beezjaxx

HSC
Bad move.... i don't agree!

I topped advanced maths all through high school... including year 11.... but this year i went down to general........ and it's the best decision i made because i do art and design and tech which both have practical work.... no time for maths......

AussieSwimChick

HSC
i'm doing general maths and its absoloutly shit. i went from an advanced student in yr10 to a general student in yr11 &12 and i faild in yr 11 and still failing in yr 12. i'm screwd

cro_angel

<3<3<3
HSC
Maths is fun and you should all love it =D
If you bother doing homework every night when it is set, you can really do well and it can rock your UAI. I regret having an 'I hate maths' attitude right up to my trials.. I could have done so much better if I had put consistent effort.. rather than teaching myself the whole course again before the HSC and killing my exam (but then my assessment mark brought me down).
Have faith.. nobody is screwed!

Pace_T

HSC
dark`secrets said:
hrm heaps of ppl actually fail gen maths
my WHOLE year that does general maths failed the trial. lol.
luckily i dnt do general maths :p

HSC
I think the problem with maths is, regardless of its difficulty, that if you haven't done the work before and you don't do any work that you keep getting shot back and each topic derives knowledge (well some) from the other, and if you have any holes in knowledge in maths, its not like a theory based subject where you may not be able to answer a 2-3 mark question, instead you could be shot down and find yourself that the topic dominates the exam, every HSC they dominate the exam (at least for general) with a topic, for example 2004 paper general maths had a fair bit of measurement and finance

Danni07

happy little vegemite
HSC
I never enjoyed maths in junior school. I didn't do terribly in it, and I was always in the top class, however, if I had a problem with one concept it would really frustrate me, along with feeling slightly discouraged by being towards the bottom of the class. When I started general, I was amazed. I was scoring in the high 90s and I began to actually enjoy maths. It feels more... realistic... Like I can see myself applying the things I've learnt to real life, unlike the things I was learning in year 10.

anita_wax

tehnaz
HSC
alissa_xoxo said:
Yeah, like me? 48% in the half yearly.

Ow, my feelings. :(
ditto i got 49 ive gotten crap ever since i came to this school im at for 11&12

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)