I hate my course :( What are my options? (1 Viewer)

Queenroot

I complete the Squar3
HSC
N/A
I guess if someone is willing to study hard they can do well in engineering without 2u

It goes for anything really

RishBonjour99

HSC
N/A
Stop being a fear mongerer. For Commerce/Economics, General Math is adequate and 2 Unit Math is more than enough. Besides, many people have done 2 unit and have done well in Engineering (although they're usually band 6s).
As a finance student, 2 unit is enough but you definitely need to put in extra work unless you're doing fluffy units like Behavioral Finance (majority of the finance guns at my uni cohort scored 95+ in 3u/4u - the only 'gun' that did 2 unit being one who state ranked 2 unit (hello zb m8). No one else I know that did 2 unit is is doing 'well' in finance). But you definitely don't need that to pass/get credits lol. General maths is definitely not recommended.

INADIKAP95

HSC
N/A
As a finance student, 2 unit is enough but you definitely need to put in extra work unless you're doing fluffy units like Behavioral Finance (majority of the finance guns at my uni cohort scored 95+ in 3u/4u - the only 'gun' that did 2 unit being one who state ranked 2 unit (hello zb m8). No one else I know that did 2 unit is is doing 'well' in finance). But you definitely don't need that to pass/get credits lol. General maths is definitely not recommended.
I only did 2 unit Maths - band 6. (Although I was easily capable of doing 3 unit and even 4 unit - something which I now regret not doing). I have a HD for every single subject in university (Commerce), aka GPA 7/7 (including the Finance/Mathematic subjects), and that's for 1 year FTE. So now you know of someone else who did just 2 unit and is a 'gun'.

Last edited:

RishBonjour99

HSC
N/A
I only did 2 unit Maths - band 6. (Although I was easily capable of doing 3 unit and even 4 unit - something which I now regret not doing). I have a HD for every single subject in university (Commerce), aka GPA 7/7 (including the Finance/Mathematic subjects), and that's for 1 year FTE. So now you know of someone else who did just 2 unit and is a 'gun'.
Are you at usyd? Not a single person in my whole commerce cohort has a gpa of 7/7 lol. No one calculates gpa anyway-all about dat wam

By 'gun' I was referring to people who were ranking top 3 in subjects with 500 plus students. Well done if you fit that criteria.

Last edited:

INADIKAP95

HSC
N/A
Are you at usyd? Not a single person in my whole commerce cohort has a gpa of 7/7 lol. No one calculates gpa anyway-all about dat wam

By 'gun' I was referring to people who were ranking top 3 in subjects with 500 plus students. Well done if you fit that criteria.
Oh, I mentioned in this thread. I did a year at UTS Business, and thus was advising the OP on the suitability of the degree for her circumstance.

In my 1 year FTE, I did half 2nd year Finance/Economics subjects (3 quantitative, 1 qualitative in nature) and the other half were 1st Year subjects (2 quantitative, 2 qualitative) and thus highlighting I was in a position to comment on the suitability of the mathematics required for Commerce. I did get a GPA of 7/7 - the whole purpose of me doing the 1 year in order to get into a certain other degree.

RishBonjour99

HSC
N/A
Oh, I mentioned in this thread. I did a year at UTS Business, and thus was advising the OP on the suitability of the degree for her circumstance.

In my 1 year FTE, I did half 2nd year Finance/Economics subjects (3 quantitative, 1 qualitative in nature) and the other half were 1st Year subjects (2 quantitative, 2 qualitative) and thus highlighting I was in a position to comment on the suitability of the mathematics required for Commerce. I did get a GPA of 7/7 - the whole purpose of me doing the 1 year in order to get into a certain other degree.
Wasn't questioning your gpa 7/7. Just that it wasn't usyd because that would be exceptionally unlikely. I've tutored finance kids from uts and my gf is also from uts so I've seen the content - course is materially different to usyd. Generally, if you want to perform well at least 2 unit. That does now exactly mean you'll be using the concepts you learnt in 2 unit - just the problem solving skills etc

Also you keep saying FTE which is a bit strange.

Amundies

Commander-in-Chief
HSC
Uni Grad
Not to try and put words into Rish's mouth but I think he assumes that in high school, students do the hardest possible maths subject that they can do. It doesn't really work if someone did general maths in the HSC but was concurrently studying 3u/4u material at home and understanding it well (so if they did finance and did well in it, you can't say that they did general maths and was still able to do well, because their understanding of maths during the HSC was at the same level as those who did 3u/4u).

INADIKAP95

HSC
N/A
Not to try and put words into Rish's mouth but I think he assumes that in high school, students do the hardest possible maths subject that they can do. It doesn't really work if someone did general maths in the HSC but was concurrently studying 3u/4u material at home and understanding it well (so if they did finance and did well in it, you can't say that they did general maths and was still able to do well, because their understanding of maths during the HSC was at the same level as those who did 3u/4u).
LOL. What a stupid argument. That person would then have be classified as having done 3u/4u NOT General. Use your brain. When I refer to myself (and others in the circumstance) I say I have the ABILITY to have done 3Unit (maybe 4 unit) but destiny had it that I didn't do those subjects (and for the good too). An Its like the other guy whom you refer to as "Rish' said. Its more the 'problem solving' ability that's important.

Jeez. I guess my final word on this thread is with this clichéd quote: Anyone can do well in anything as long as they put in the effort. Disregard fear mongerers and prove them wrong.

Last edited:

Queenroot

I complete the Squar3
HSC
N/A
If someone puts in enough effort, they can do well tbh.

I am saying from my own experience.

RishBonjour99

HSC
N/A
So much animosity. Relax.

I didn't assume that people do the highest level of maths they want because I did 3 unit when I was more than 'capable' of doing 4 unit because I chose to (i.e. a tactical decision so I had more time to allocate to other units which many people do as well).

Well no shit if someone puts in effort they can do well in anything. It's like my straight commerce friend who did GAMSAT and got 79 in science section without a single unit of science done in university. What I am saying is that to do well in finance/engo or whatever, you want to set yourself up well for it. So, do at least 2 unit.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)