I hate my course? (1 Viewer)

daniel4592

HSC
Hello everyone, I started uni only a few days ago, and I really am not liking my course, It does not interest me to the slightest bit and it is a health science course, coming out of year 11 and 12 I had not done any science since year 10 because I found it boring, god knows why I picked it, I guess I wanted to be a teacher at a primary school as it goes into a masters of teaching, But to be honest I cant see myself (Iam 100% certain) finishing this course as I simply dont give a crap about reading 75 slides on a human cell, or why the government affects peoples health.
I know I will get a backlash but Iam so confused as to what I should do now? should I quit and go to Tafe? or is there something else I could do, because I simply dont have the will to complete this course even this early on it is just so boring.

Bananaberry

HSC
Well do honestly know what you want as a career? You don't have to go to uni to be successful in life and maybe uni might not be for you. You have options:
-You could apply for a leave of absence or defer (if you still can) and have a year off to really think about what you want to do.
-You could keep at it and try and transfer to a course that will interest you
-You could go to TAFE, but what do you want to study?

daniel4592

HSC
I was thinking of being a draftsman through tafe, Adv Diploma in CAD Drafting.
I am so lost I dont know what to think anymore, In all honest as a man this is difficult to admit but I have literary cried everyday I came home this week from uni simply because I feel as though I have made a decision that I shouldnt have and wasted the effort I put into my hsc.

schtrevey

BBC/LLB
HSC
Go see the Course Advisor or Co-ordinator, they are there for you if you're worried about Uni or if you're considering to drop out. I'm sure they would be more helpful and when they were speaking about it during O-week, they emphasized in taking this course of action if you're having problems.

rokkuguhyo

HSC
If you want to leave uni, or change your course, do it as soon as possible, before the HECS census date (Which I think is about March 31?) Otherwise, there will be a penalty.

daniel4592

HSC
Yes I know you have to pay the debt off, Im really unsure what to do, I think I didnt look at the path to getting there, I simply looked at the net result last year of becoming a teacher, and as UWS offers no real Teaching Bachelor I dont think that it will work.

Bananaberry

HSC
Well if you want to be a draftsman then your best bet is to go to tafe. Have a think about what you will enjoy as a career, becuase you will most likley have to do it for the rest of your working life.
Don't fall into the mindset that if you dont go to uni, you will fail at life becuase it is definelty not true.

emilyo

apathetic member
HSC
Yes I know you have to pay the debt off, Im really unsure what to do, I think I didnt look at the path to getting there, I simply looked at the net result last year of becoming a teacher, and as UWS offers no real Teaching Bachelor I dont think that it will work.
well if you want to be a teacher see if you can move to a uni that offers teaching courses, it may not be too late. Or you can start in semester 2 of this year possibly, i have a friend that did this but not for teaching (im not sure if teaching is offered mid sem but you may want to check it out. If this course really isnt for you then pull out before census date and have a gap year and start what you want next year. Why not stick it out till the census date though, you cant judge a course on a week's worth of work!

Dont worry you are not the only one who feels like this. Uni isnt living up to what i thought it would be either. Im pretty disappointed and overwhelmed to be completely honest. And im locked into pay rent for 6 months so i dont know what I will do if i continue to feel so down.

daniel4592

HSC
I agree it isnt living up to what I would have liked it to be.
I find it hard to believe UWS isnt offering any bachelor of Education.
Thats the thing Im so unsure what I want to do right now my mind is like everywhere, but to be honest after High school Iam so sick of studying subjects I hate and I cant see myself passing these tbh because I think most of you know, when you dont enjoy learning about something, it will never sink in and the will to try and learn just collapses.
Iam also not enjoying the teaching methods of uni, like nothing is shown to you, its just blabering about something partially related and go home do it yourself, where on earth will you need this type of skill? dont tell me its the adult life :p, because every work place I have been to reminds me more of Tafe/High school where stuff is shown to you first hand and then you slowly get doing it.
I dont know I might drop out, do a Tafe course and maybe next year do some part time open university course because I cant be bothered going there.
Unless I can get into open Universities now?

Bananaberry

HSC
Iam also not enjoying the teaching methods of uni, like nothing is shown to you, its just blabering about something partially related and go home do it yourself, where on earth will you need this type of skill? dont tell me its the adult life :p, because every work place I have been to reminds me more of Tafe/High school where stuff is shown to you first hand and then you slowly get doing it.
I dont know I might drop out, do a Tafe course and maybe next year do some part time open university course because I cant be bothered going there.
Nothing is shown to you becuase uni is nothing like high school. They dont spoon feed you information. Your expected to be mature enough to take education into your own hands and learn it yourself. Lectures and tutors are happy to help you if needed, but for the most part, its your responsibility.

-Lemon-

HSC
N/A
I agree it isnt living up to what I would have liked it to be.
I find it hard to believe UWS isnt offering any bachelor of Education.
Thats the thing Im so unsure what I want to do right now my mind is like everywhere, but to be honest after High school Iam so sick of studying subjects I hate and I cant see myself passing these tbh because I think most of you know, when you dont enjoy learning about something, it will never sink in and the will to try and learn just collapses.
you're not fit for university sorry, join the infantry if you want to be spoon feed physical instructions.

(and why the f**k would you go to UWS in the first place if it doesn't offer a B.Education?...)

Solano17

AussieYAnKee
HSC
Yeah quit before the census date, then it wont cost you a cent for what youve done already, then re-enrol in a new course.

daniel4592

HSC
So what you are implying is when a workplace shows you procedures step by step it is childish...? and here I was thinking that a workplace is regarded more than uni ;).
I will probably be finishing my Bachelor of Education via open universities through Curtin uni in WA, atleast that uni can be kind enough to supply an education course, not to mention hundreds of positions higher than UWS in world uni standings.

Bananaberry

HSC
No offense, but if you cant handle uni when you physically attend, how are you going to do it via distance?

UWS do an education course, its just in a different format, and UWS is one of the top 10 education schools in Australia (Melbourne University "Melbourne Institute study)

Last edited:

schtrevey

BBC/LLB
HSC
That's why you get job experience in your related field? You can't have everything handed to you and it's your own fault for choosing a course you had no interest in.. No idea why you chose UWS when it didn't have the course you wanted. Yeah try Open Universities.. you do know it'll require more independent study? Which going by your posts you don't seem very independent when it comes to your study.

daniel4592

HSC
I know it requires independent study, but when that study is relevant to what you want to be then im fine with it, what I dont understand is with UWS is how on earth a bachelor of health science can give you a 1 year masters in primary teaching, going through open uni website, curtin uni requires 29 units all dedicated to primary teaching yet UWS manage with 22 health related ones and then just tack on 6 or so Education ones... would this even qualify you ?

Bananaberry

HSC
If you wanted to do Primary teaching why didnt you do this course?
UWS: Bachelor of Education (Primary - AREP Mode)

Your course in health science is only a path way to teaching. It is more targeted at people who want health/sport related careers rather than education, but would suit those who would like to teach PE/PD/Health. It is not an education course

I think its the case of you not choosing the correct course.

daniel4592

HSC
That course is only to indigenous students (Not sure why) and I looked at it back in june last year.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)