• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

I have an exam this Tuesday and (2 Viewers)

Twickel

HSC
I might get 1% you see the probelm is my school uses the MAth in focus book whic gives the easiest questions now from what I can see from the past papers, the questions are difficult, why would a school do this?

jcurry

HSC
If your not happy with the textbook your using in school why don't you go and get a harder textbook that you can work on at home so you can work on the harder stuff.
At least since your using an easier book you should know all the basics and can build up from there, id rather that than learning the extreme hardest stuff at school and not learning the basics

A High Way Man

all ova da world
HSC
Fitzpatrick and Cambridge Fitzpatrick and Cambridge Fitzpatrick and Cambridge Fitzpatrick and Cambridge Fitzpatrick and Cambridge Fitzpatrick and Cambridge Fitzpatrick and Cambridge Fitzpatrick and Cambridge Fitzpatrick and Cambridge Fitzpatrick and Cambridge Fitzpatrick and Cambridge Fitzpatrick and Cambridge Fitzpatrick and Cambridge Fitzpatrick and Cambridge Fitzpatrick and Cambridge Fitzpatrick and Cambridge Fitzpatrick and Cambridge Fitzpatrick and Cambridge Fitzpatrick and Cambridge Fitzpatrick and Cambridge Fitzpatrick and Cambridge Fitzpatrick and Cambridge Fitzpatrick and Cambridge Fitzpatrick and Cambridge Fitzpatrick and Cambridge Fitzpatrick and Cambridge Fitzpatrick and Cambridge Fitzpatrick and Cambridge Fitzpatrick and Cambridge Fitzpatrick and Cambridge Fitzpatrick and Cambridge Fitzpatrick and Cambridge Fitzpatrick and Cambridge Fitzpatrick and Cambridge

Twickel

HSC
IM going to buy Fitzpatrick intime for the holidays, its fine if the school uses Math in Focus but atleast teach us more difficult applications of circle geo, not just expect us to know it and put it in an exam.

Caitlin63

:-)
HSC
*sighs* Just do questions from past papers and ask your teacher for help, textbook questions and exam questions are different anyway so it doesnt matter what text book you use. But if you want to buy another one go ahead.

SpinCobra

HSC
Uni Grad
Yeah. Fitzpatrick and Cambridge is good.

If Maths in focus is all your school uses, then most of you are in the same boat.

If your maths foundation is good and you know all the basics of a topic, it shouldn't be too hard. Unless you basically haven't done anything even averagely challenging.

karnage

HSC
Yeah, try getting a textbook like Cambridge (has some challenging stuff in there, well challenging for me) to supplement your current textbook.

leoyh

mic`
HSC
yeah fitzpatrick and cambridge are good. terry lee is good too. and get just your hands on past papers and do them

Triple777ER

Vamos Rojas
HSC
You want to boost your marks up high, you need to do your own work other than the school's work. As everyone said get Cambride and Fitzpatrick along with the Success One HSC past papers and you are well on your way to asskicking.

Poad

HSC
*shrug* I did 2U Accelerated using the Maths in Focus book and got a 95. Now I know 3U is quite a bit harder, but still, you should be able to do alright if you know your stuff.

Twickel

HSC
Ok, so its alirgiht to fail this exam? I got to get my act together and study hard on a regualr basis from now on and I will get the NSM book.

ronnknee

Live to eat
HSC
Yea, never rely on just the school's textbooks
Our school supplied us the Jones Couchmon and man it was crap
That's why I bought myself the Cambridge books
And worked my way from there

My advice is, use a variety, possbly 2 or 3
I use Cambridge and Terry Lee for learning, and Fitzpatrick for revising

And no, it's not okay to fail

Twickel

HSC
Ohwell.....................................................................................................

10% lol.

Affinity

HSC
Twickel said:
I might get 1% you see the probelm is my school uses the MAth in focus book whic gives the easiest questions now from what I can see from the past papers, the questions are difficult, why would a school do this?
the book's probably cheaper.. and it's easier for the teacher..

Studentleader

HSC
N/A
jcurry said:
If your not happy with the textbook your using in school why don't you go and get a harder textbook that you can work on at home so you can work on the harder stuff.
At least since your using an easier book you should know all the basics and can build up from there, id rather that than learning the extreme hardest stuff at school and not learning the basics
Self motivated learning.

MOST high schools dont give a shit what UAI their students get, only the top ones are like LETS DO HARD SHIT SO WE GUD @ EXAMS.

My school for example, has alot of dropkicks who will get C/Ds in Calculus as the book is based on C/D level questions.

Thats why i bought the better book.

Iruka

HSC
N/A
Public schools often use the same textbook year after year because that happens to be the one that they have a class set of.

addikaye03

The A-Team
HSC
Twickel said:
IM going to buy Fitzpatrick intime for the holidays, its fine if the school uses Math in Focus but atleast teach us more difficult applications of circle geo, not just expect us to know it and put it in an exam.
The circle geometry section is the only section of the maths focus textbook that i have found inadequate, actually and binomial probability but coroneas really loves probability and has a shitload of questions, that are very much harder 3U

conics2008

HSC
hahaha we use the same book. maths in focus.. the challenge question aren't even hard... psst.. i just skip quesiton in that book. I prefer cambridge style... hardcore style question.. believe me i have this REALLY REALLY THICK year 11 3unit maths text book. it has some 4unit topics =)

I would suggest buy a 3unit YEAR 12 cambridge text book and stick with maths in focus ( only in class ) this is what i do , do them in class but skip question lol...

fishbulb

HSC
Twickel said:
Our school uses Maths in focus as well, its pretty basic, but most of the time it gives you the correct theory. Do the excercises and get a book with all of the HSC questions and do them. I wouldn't recommend cambridge as they are not quite with the syllabus, especially for 4 unit maths.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)