I have my prelm exams coming up and (1 Viewer)

Shoom

HSC
N/A
I have not studied at all, see I had assignments for physics chemistry bio and english, then I got a really bad flu I could not stand up because I had dizzy feeling, had very high temp and began to hallucinate I only slept for one hour and have not gone to school since last friday and the doctor said not to go back until Friday. The doctor also said I have tonselitas I am on so many medications I fell half asleep all the time.

I dont want to fail but it looks like I will.

bored of sc

HSC
Um, ask if you can not do the preliminary exams. That way, they'll give you averages based on your performance on earlier assessment tasks. In the end, year 11 marks don't go anywhere. Remember a doctor's certificate when explaining your absense from exams and school. Just try and get better before the HSC starts.

I don't know what to say. I'm sorry.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Try to wing the exams, and scrape a pass. And make sure you catch up on your subjects (particularly Maths), because you're going to need it for the HSC.

Shoom

HSC
N/A
oh do the prelim exams test every module for chemistry physics and biology or does it depend on the school

always.dreaming

sporadic attendee
HSC
N/A
if these were your HSC exam I'd say that you'd have a pretty good case to claim illness/misadventure, especially if you could somehow deliberately contaminate yourself with something concrete yet non life-threatening like syphilis or gonorreha.

With the help of your doctor's correspondence/help I’m sure you could sit out the exams - you won't get a 0, but rather a handy estimate based on your performance in your previous weighted tasks =]

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Shoom said:
oh do the prelim exams test every module for chemistry physics and biology or does it depend on the school
They generally should.
And by wing it - turn up, with minimal study, and still do well. :p

Shoom

HSC
N/A
Ok ill try to do well ;) so can someone help me with this chemistry problem, I dont understand a polar bond is a polar bond just something that has an uneven share of electrons? so whats the difference between a polar bond and a polar molecule. In an exam if they give a question about polar and non polar molecules will one example of each be the sufficient, cause I cant tell for the life me if a molecule is polar or non polar from its shape.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
A molecule with a polar bond is a polar molecule.

Cerry

HSC
When are the exams? By the sound of it, you should be able to get a doctor's certificate, which gives you a few options. You can sit the exams at a later date (not many schools will go for this, though); not sit the exams and get an estimated mark; or sit the exams, and have your illness taken into consideration, boosting any poor marks you get. It all really depends on your school's policy, though.

zzzz12345

HSC
Shoom said:
Ok ill try to do well ;) so can someone help me with this chemistry problem, I dont understand a polar bond is a polar bond just something that has an uneven share of electrons? so whats the difference between a polar bond and a polar molecule. In an exam if they give a question about polar and non polar molecules will one example of each be the sufficient, cause I cant tell for the life me if a molecule is polar or non polar from its shape.
A polar bond is a bond where there is an uneven distribution of electrons (due to the differing electronegativities of the atoms involved). E.g. A H-Cl bond is polar as chlorine is more electronegative than hydrogen. A polar molecule is one that contains polar bonds and has a net dipole, this means that although a substance can contain polar bonds it does not have to be polar but a molecule must contain polar bonds to be polar (somewhat like a square is rectangle but a rectangle is not a square thing).
Now I mentioned before that for a molecule to be polar it has to have a net dipole and not be symmetrical. For example CH4 (methane) contains polar bonds but because it does not have a net dipole the molecule itself is non-polar.
To find out if there is a net dipole you need to draw an arrow to the more negative end of each bond and then add the vectors of the charges to see if there is a net charge or if the charges cancel each other out. If you've done this in physics it would be easier, but essentially to see if a molecule is polar you first need to see if there are polar bonds and see if the molecule is symmetrical. Hope this helps somewhat, I apologise if I have further confused you.

Shoom

HSC
N/A
They begin Sep 8th.

See what im scared about yes ( scared) is my teacher telling me to drop ext math. You see the first test I got avg mark ( avg of the grade) but it w a fail, the second test I got 52% and the other ooe I got a 40 something % but in the tthir one I lost mnay marks because I did not put the abs value sign for the gradient formula and lost around 7 marks from thatt ( I got answers right but lost the 2 marks for each question because of the wrong equation). Im not prepared for these exams cause of illness and I know shes gonna say youve done crap you have to drop.

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
Shoom said:
They begin Sep 8th.

See what im scared about yes ( scared) is my teacher telling me to drop ext math. You see the first test I got avg mark ( avg of the grade) but it w a fail, the second test I got 52% and the other ooe I got a 40 something % but in the tthir one I lost mnay marks because I did not put the abs value sign for the gradient formula and lost around 7 marks from thatt ( I got answers right but lost the 2 marks for each question because of the wrong equation). Im not prepared for these exams cause of illness and I know shes gonna say youve done crap you have to drop.
Teachers cannot force you out of a subject, they can only advise you.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
kaz1 said:
Teachers cannot force you out of a subject, they can only advise you.
Actually, if they believe that you haven't been trying hard enough in Prelim, they can.

Shoom

HSC
N/A
Well I have been trying, just the marks are not showing it. However I realise now that to do well in Math and Math Ext one must put in atleast 20 minutes of math work ( not including the homework) everyday. I think if I do that I know that next year I will do well in those subjects.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Shoom said:
Well I have been trying, just the marks are not showing it.
That's different. They cannot kick you out because you haven't been achieving good marks. But in a lot of cases (not necessarily yours), poor marks only arise from lack of effort.

Ppen

HSC
Shoom said:
I have not studied at all, see I had assignments for physics chemistry bio and english, then I got a really bad flu I could not stand up because I had dizzy feeling, had very high temp and began to hallucinate I only slept for one hour and have not gone to school since last friday and the doctor said not to go back until Friday. The doctor also said I have tonselitas I am on so many medications I fell half asleep all the time.

I dont want to fail but it looks like I will.
I experienced exactly the same thing (with the hallucinating :eek:) about 4 years ago. Luckily i have my tonsils out now so it wont affect my studying/life that much.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)