I have no idea what to drop! Help? (1 Viewer)

HSC
Right now I'm doing:

English Advanced
English Ext 1
General Maths
Modern History
Ancient History
Legal Studies
Studies of Religion 1 (compulsory)

and I want to pick up English Extension 2

So...that will give me way to many units and I want to have 11 units, (please don't say you can do 10 because I want to do 11, so I have something to fall back on)

I like all my subjects and I'm doing pretty well in all of them so there isn't a definite one that I want to drop.

What should I do?

soloooooo

HSC
N/A
Don't drop anything. Problem solved.

Hila

HSC
Hey, your subjects are fairly similar to mine :) And my dilemma as well haha I pretty much enjoy all my subjects so It's hard to decide :p

My advice is, don't drop anything YET.
See how you go in year 12. You can always drop anything at any time if you have more then 10 units. If something gets boring/stressful/hard, drop it then. Don't worry about that now.

UCC

HSC
See how you go in year 12. I have a few friends who are doing Modern & Ancient history as well as society and culture, I know it was alot of content for them and stressful at exam time, but other than that, they've made it this far with great marks, so it's possible! Always keep the subjects you find the most enjoyable and the ones you do well at. That's prettymuch all the advice you can get, like everyone has said, you can drop subjects at any time during year 12 so there's really no reason to stress about it! You have more than enough units, and the fact that you're enjoying each class is a really great thing! Most people have the opposite problem than you have about units and liking courses so yeah, enjoy it!

enoilgam

HSC
Well, if you're comfortable with it, dont drop anything for now and try out all your subjects next term. This will give you a much clearer idea on each of those subjects and what you might want to keep/drop.

nexus_lad_69

Sikkest Lad in Livo
HSC
Uni Grad
Okay if you MUST drop then consider the following in order:
1. Consider your passions/interest for all your subjects.
2. Drop your most hated subject. Usually, your most hated subject should be your weakest or close to your weakest. The one you hate studying for.
3. If 2 doesn't work then drop your weakest subject in Year 11 or what you think will most likely be your weakest in Year 12. Weakest can be in terms of raw marks or ranks or whatever. Therefore, statistically the weakest.
4. If 3 doesn't work and you LOVE all your subjects equally then drop the lowest scaling subject. You want to maximise your ATAR for med so yeah.... Strategically, it could be beneficial.
5. If 4 doesn't work, you can resort to seeking advice from your year advisor and talking to all your teachers about your progress in each subject. Then from there, eliminate anything you don't want to drop for sure then you'll be left with maybe 2 or 3 subjects to choose from.. these 2 or 3 subs could be your inconsistent (in terms of marks) subs or the subs you don't like as much as your others. Look at your weakest/most hated from this bunch and you should be able to pick 1 sub out of the 3 or so to drop.
6. Worst comes to worst (I doubt this will happen, by Step 4 at the max.. I doubt step 5 will even happen..., you should have found something to drop by now), keep everything and just work extra harder?
^

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Right now I'm doing:

English Advanced
English Ext 1
General Maths
Modern History
Ancient History
Legal Studies
Studies of Religion 1 (compulsory)

and I want to pick up English Extension 2

So...that will give me way to many units and I want to have 11 units, (please don't say you can do 10 because I want to do 11, so I have something to fall back on)

I like all my subjects and I'm doing pretty well in all of them so there isn't a definite one that I want to drop.

What should I do?

Don't want a particular number of units. Pick up EE2 and try it for a bit, you don't want to have dropped something if you don't like it etc. I regret dropping Economics so early in the HSC before really experiencing it. DO them for a bit, and it may become more apparent once you start Yr 12 what to drop.

Rawf

HSC
If you're fine with the work load then keep them all. If you like them all equally and you're good at all of them equally, drop the one that scales the worst.

HSC
lol I completely forgot that I made this post! Yeah, I'm on 12 units at the moments :) I'm going to start off with EE2 and see how it goes!!! Thanks for all your help!! :)

ClassOf2013

HSC
If you're on 12 units, don't drop anything. At my school, they really discourage dropping subjects as students with 10 units consistently do worse in the HSC than students with 12 units.

elissajean

HSC
Uni Grad
I would consider not adding English extension 2. It adds way too much to your already heavy workload, and isn't likely to give you any real benefit. This is coming from someone who got the top band in English Extension 2. In your case I'd say it seems like it's more work than it's worth.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)