I have to do continuers? (1 Viewer)

lady_dilandau

Sharingan me!~
HSC
N/A
Well I'm in yr 10 and had to choose my subjects for next year. I wanted to do Beginner Jap but because my school is stupid they wouldn't let me do it (not in open high either), but I really really want to do japanese.
I'm prepared to study really hard until the end of this year to catch up 3-4 years of work ~_~ Any tips on what I should study? and how to study in this lil time?

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
It is impossible for you to take continuers, because it REQUIRES 400 hours of prior study (ie years 9 and 10). So really the only things I can think of are forcing the issue of open high, finding a satudray school with beginner Jap, or getting a better school...sorry!

lady_dilandau

Sharingan me!~
HSC
N/A
@.@ But a girl in year 11 now, has never done Japanese... she caught up with the class and now she's doing continuers..

kouri

well w t f
HSC
its possible to do continuers even without studying year 9 + 10...
if the teachers let you and you believe you can catch up then... its fine! :D :D

but you're goign to have to work your butt off.

see. i'm doing jap beginners, and i could've done continuers if i wanted to (my teacher asked me if i wanted to do it, because she believed i was at a higher level yada yada)
...but i thought i would've been disadvantaged cuz i didn't study it in yr9/10.....

and i sorta regret it. cuz jap begginners is shit boring. but i like the language :D

demo sa, suki ni shita houga iin da
soshite, isshou kenmai ganbare yo!

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
I stand corrected. However, even the Board discourages throwing students straight into continuers.

karnevil

HSC
Yeah you're in the deep end if you do continuers straight off the bat

kouri

well w t f
HSC
unless you're really really good at japanese already :)

demo ima... atashi wa mada ...chotto koukai suru no

karnevil

HSC
yeah still youd have to be damn good to make up 400hours

kouri

well w t f
HSC
yeah the difference is....
they were in years 9 and 10... which means, learning would be a lot slower then...which also means catching up isn't that hard :D

well its like beginners, learning years 9 and 10 work within one year or something

i'm not sure where i'm heading at...but

its possible :) since i dont think continuers look that hard oO

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
In general, if you are already bilingual you should be at a small advantage, because you can already think in more than one language (sort of like having two operating systems on one computer). If you show promise of being able to pick up another language without too much difficulty, by all means jump on it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)