• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

i have to drop something...somebody help! (1 Viewer)

beckles

at boarding school in the mighty town of Tamworth
HSC
hey there!
im not a HSC buff. i have 13 units and its too much for me.
if you know a little more than i do, (which is likely) any advice would be really appreciated!
here's my subjects

Advance English (2) possibly over 80
Extension English (1) 70 ish
Advanced Maths (2) 70 working hard
Chemistry (2) 70 busting my guts
Biology(2) 80 ish
Drama(2) 80 or 90
Modern history(2) over 80

i have used that UAI stimulater but it doesnt take much into account hey.
anyway, if you can help me out it would be awesome!
thanks a bunch, bec

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
beckles said:
hey there!
im not a HSC buff. i have 13 units and its too much for me.
if you know a little more than i do, (which is likely) any advice would be really appreciated!
here's my subjects

Advance English (2) possibly over 80
Extension English (1) 70 ish
Advanced Maths (2) 70 working hard
Chemistry (2) 70 busting my guts
Biology(2) 80 ish
Drama(2) 80 or 90
Modern history(2) over 80

i have used that UAI stimulater but it doesnt take much into account hey.
anyway, if you can help me out it would be awesome!
thanks a bunch, bec
Well if you want to basically be told what to do... I'd say your choices would be
a) keep all your units but drop to general maths
b)drop chemistry
c) drop ext. english
but really since math and chemistry seem to be taking the most out of you a) or b) seems to be the best solution

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
The prelim is supposed to be similar for maths but you should talk with your teacher about the consequences and repercussions. At my college they allow you to drop 3 weeks into this year if you were doing the higher courses last year.

Danoz The Great

HSC
beckles said:
is it not too late to drop to general maths? its completely different topics and i dont think i could catch up. would it not be wise to drop maths completly?
It's definately too late to drop to general.

On dropping maths altogether - it really depends on what you want to do after school. If you want to study arts or something like that, then go for it. But I'd recommend dropping chem over maths, well, that's what I'd do anyways

EDIT: lol, I thought you were my friend from school, I call her Beckles. I thought it was original lol

Trev

stix
HSC
dani_danoz said:
It's definately too late to drop to general.

On dropping maths altogether - it really depends on what you want to do after school. If you want to study arts or something like that, then go for it. But I'd recommend dropping chem over maths, well, that's what I'd do anyways

EDIT: lol, I thought you were my friend from school, I call her Beckles. I thought it was original lol
It is never too late to drop to general! NEVER! :p

table for 1

dreaming... sigh...
HSC
N/A
regarding dropping down to general, i think it probably would be too late. their topics are very different. and you're already a term and a half into the yr 12 hsc course, so you'd have 1 1/2 term of work to catch up on [that is, if you don't plan to do the yr 11 stuff]. i haven't actually had a look at what the general maths students do, but my friend who did the hsc last yr told me that her friend from general maths asked her to do a question, and she had no idea how to answer. imo, if you're thinking of dropping to general maths, you may as well just drop maths altogether. [that might sound harsh, but it's just what i think. i have something against general maths for some reason]

unless you are in yr 11, then i suppose it wouldn't be too late to drop to general maths.

anyways, if i was in your position [and assuming you're in yr 12], i would drop eng ext and chem or drama. or, i would drop either chem or drama and just have 11 units. but the problem with that is they only choose the best 10 units to get counted towards your uai. so, if you don't do as well in eng ext, they won't count it. so you would have worked really hard in 2 yrs of eng ext for nothing. the reason i say drama, even though you're doing very well in it is because i really don't think you need to do 13u [if you're in yr 12] and all these extra units are just taking a lot of time from you. so, if you dropped drama, you'd have more time to focus on your other subjects. but since you say you have to work really hard in chem, then you should probably drop that instead.

anyways, it really depends more on what you enjoy doing, what course you want to do at uni, and what you think you can improve on if you needed to. but whatever, trust your gut.

Danoz The Great

HSC
joe_m_2000 said:
yeah i agree...
never

i think its 2 late 4 me but :p
well that was just hipocritical!! Never to late, but it's to late for me...what the?!?!?

And it IS too late to drop to general. General has a much more different learning style than all the other maths subjects. It does (believe it or not :p) involve learning some things not taught in the higher maths too.

Don't diss General maths, it's cool.

beckles

at boarding school in the mighty town of Tamworth
HSC
thanks 2 table for 1

i appreciate the advice!
yes im in year 12, hence the urgency of dropping a subject...
im really leaning towards dropping maths all togther...HOWEVER...
i looked at both the adv. maths and chem papers from last year and i couldnt answer a single chem question, not even the multiple choice Q's..aaaahh!
not a good sign yeh?

table for 1

dreaming... sigh...
HSC
N/A
beckles said:
i appreciate the advice!
yes im in year 12, hence the urgency of dropping a subject...
im really leaning towards dropping maths all togther...HOWEVER...
i looked at both the adv. maths and chem papers from last year and i couldnt answer a single chem question, not even the multiple choice Q's..aaaahh!
not a good sign yeh?
you're welcome

:) yeah, i suppose that's not a good sign, but you've still got time and it could work if you were willing to put in the effort into studying and stuff. and since you haven't learnt the whole course yet, don't stress too much. however, if you dont think you would be able to get a decent mark, then it's probably wisest to drop it.

but like i said before, the choice is entirely yours, and you should trust your instinct as well as think it through

pirotess4

HSC
N/A
Careers Advisor

You should go and speak to your careers advisor, that's what i did when i wanted to drop a subject and it really helped me.

I think if you're thinking about dropping chemistry you should do it, some of my friends do chemistry and i see how hard the work is. If you keep it and concentrate to much on chemistry you'll have to work twice as hard to keep your other subjects to a satisfactory level. So my advice is to drop chemistry!!

I'm in the same boat as you though, i have 12 units and i'm starting to feel the stress of not getting any work done or having to work hard to get some of it done well............which reminds me i should be studying instead of putting posts up in forums.....Study time!!

(Hope i've helped)

Atticus.

how do i get out of this
HSC
if you are going to be purely UAI orientated about your decision id drop drama... lowest scaling... but then on the other hand i wouldnt do something i hated becuase itll reflect in your marks

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)