• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

i have under 14gb of memory left....what's next? (1 Viewer)

HSC
ok i am a memory hog, i usually love to download software, movies, songs and keep them in my comp, just to test them or keep them, but mostly use them for something i really need, anyways i was looking at how much memory i have left and i only have 14gb of total memory left, my disk space is very LOW lol. anyways i ask some of my mates about it and usually their memory left on their hardrive isnt as low as mine. i wanted to know what should i do, get a new hardrive to be added to my tower or anything similar? my comp isnt a built 1, its HP so yeah, can i add a new tower/hardrive to it, for my comp to have extra GB of memory...some things i need is

*what brand/s of hardrive should i go for

* the cost of the hardrive/tower etc

* should i get someone to do it, like send it to a computer store instead of myself doing it, im scared to kill my computer

* how much would it cost for them to fix it up

* would it have any effect on my current windows?

* and other related tower related, ummm my fan in the back of my computer, should i replace it with a cooler or new fan/ clean dust from it etc

i'll probably ask some more ideas/info as the info flows to my head, dont know if this thread like this been done before, but i'd be useful if theres threads like this and can provide with links, thanks for all the help provided.

sunny

meh.
HSC
14GB free space is quite alot! "Very" low is <50MB.

If you never clean your computer, programs like CrapCleaner can help you get quite a bit of space back by deleting temporary files etc.

mr_brightside

frakfrakfrakcackmackshack
HSC
It would be quite easy to get another hard drive.

Your looking at paying about a dollar a GB for an internal hard drive.

You should just be able to
Open up your case,
slid it into an available spot
connect the cables as it is on your other hard drive
and make sure it is set to "Slave" (read the back of the hard drive for Master and Slave settings)

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
How are you running Windows with 14gb of memory when the OS's limit is 4?

pritnep

Boredof?
HSC
All the above advice is correct and 14GB is certainly not a low amount of space left. :)

And don't you mean 'space hog' rather then 'memory hog' which gives the impression you are talking about RAM.

HSC
mr_brightside said:
It would be quite easy to get another hard drive.

Your looking at paying about a dollar a GB for an internal hard drive.

You should just be able to
Open up your case,
slid it into an available spot
connect the cables as it is on your other hard drive
and make sure it is set to "Slave" (read the back of the hard drive for Master and Slave settings)
thanks for the help

HSC
sunny said:
14GB free space is quite alot! "Very" low is <50MB.

If you never clean your computer, programs like CrapCleaner can help you get quite a bit of space back by deleting temporary files etc.
yeah true, but those i know have like 50+ gb of free space, i dl crapcleaner before its good but i only managed to get 1gb of junk removed, more after

HSC
Kid.@dmin said:
All the above advice is correct and 14GB is certainly not a low amount of space left. :)

And don't you mean 'space hog' rather then 'memory hog' which gives the impression you are talking about RAM.
yeah thats right memory hog lol, yeah im talking about RAM lol, i always get mixed up with things inside my computer system :confused:

Templar

P vs NP
HSC
ogmzergrush said:
Seeing as we're being pedantic, it will run with more than 4gb, just that it won't be able to be utilised by the OS or applications, assuming it's the 32 bit edition. :)
And just to be pedantic again, only slightly over 3GB is utilised by Windows, the rest is allocated to hardware. Not quite the 4GB.

mr_brightside

frakfrakfrakcackmackshack
HSC
withoutaface said:
How are you running Windows with 14gb of memory when the OS's limit is 4?
limit?

pfftsh.
Ive run XP with a Pentium 3 with 64mb of ram before.
Then it managed to open wordpad, media player, IE, solitaire and browse folders.

Serius

Beyond Godlike
HSC
brand: one of the goodones, seagate, western they are pretty good

cost: i bought my 250GB SATA HDD's for 150$ apeice, which is pretty good

Putting it togther: dont get someone else to do it, it is incredibly simple and would be a waste of money, also its highly unlikely that you will break your pc, you open case, slot it in and connect the cable.done

windows: wont really affect it, as its physically different drive, you can just store extra crap on it so under my computers instead od just C drive, you will also have D drive with 240GB or whatever of formated space.

if your comp is a HP touching it might void the warranty, but i wouldnt worry about it

AntiHyper

Revered Member
HSC
Serius said:
Putting it togther: dont get someone else to do it, it is incredibly simple and would be a waste of money, also its highly unlikely that you will break your pc, you open case, slot it in and connect the cable.done
you still gotta pre-calculate the extra wattage needed and see if your power supply would be powerful enough to handle the additional hard disks.

Templar

P vs NP
HSC
Modern HDD will put 10, 20W top load on a PSU. If your PSU were running less than that from max then it probably wouldn't have been very stable to start off with. If the computer hasn't been majorly upgraded (CPU & GPU) it should be able to handle the load (unless it's running a few HDD as a server, which I don't think is the case).

Anyone want to predict when PATA will be extinct? I want to wait until end to buy a few of them at a cheap price.

Serius

Beyond Godlike
HSC
The end is nigh!
sata came out like going on 3 years ago now mang, get with the times

faster transfer rates! sexy red cables! and err *takes up less wattage!

*note: this is a complete lie

Collin

HSC
N/A
What the hell? So are you looking for RAM or HDs?

For RAM, you slot the chips onto the motherboard RAM slots and restart your computer. Since you said your computer is an HP (perhaps Pavilion series), it's gonna come with chances are 2-3 slots. 2 is already probably used, so you may perhaps not even have any slots free. In that case, you need to remove one or more of your existing chips to make way for the new ones.

For hard disks, something typical like 300GB for around $200 right now. You can also consider SATA drives. It boasts a slightly faster transfer rate (although generally the benefits in that respect are negligible to many), but the best bit is the wiring -- it's alot thinner so easier to connect it to the motherboard. Make sure your motherboard supports SATA however, before you invest. If you're a real storage hog, Seagate has just released a 750GB disk, using perpendicular recording technology. For installation of typical hard disks, you slot it into the appropriate free bay, connect the IDE or SATA cables from the disk to the mobo, molex the HD up to the PSU and that's pretty much the main bit.

edit: Thank God I've got over 1TB of total storage space in my room. I remember the old days when I had a 66MHz 486 with a 250MB hard disk.. I practically had to uninstall a game if I wanted to install another. I only had 4MB of RAM too then aswell.. joy.

Last edited:

Serius

Beyond Godlike
HSC
you old bastard! lol i only barely remember those days

threadstarter is looking for HDD but is not computer savvy so expresses oneself in a dumbass way

out of curiosity what is the largest stick of ram money can buy? my mobo only has 4 ram slots so if i were to fill them up with like 4GB sticks[i doubt these are made] i could have over 14GB of memory!!!!

Collin

HSC
N/A
Consumer-oriented markets usually boast around the 2GB range, but I know companies like Samsung have made experimental 16GB chips. But you know, most people would rather not sell their car for a stick of RAM.. :eek:

HSC
Collin said:
Consumer-oriented markets usually boast around the 2GB range, but I know companies like Samsung have made experimental 16GB chips. But you know, most people would rather not sell their car for a stick of RAM.. :eek:
On top of the cost, there's also the question of what you could actually find to do with that much RAM :)

AntiHyper

Revered Member
HSC
omgzergrush said:
On top of the cost, there's also the question of what you could actually find to do with that much RAM :)
multi-task the hell out of that pc, have like 3 games running, 2 movie editors, a CAD application and browse the web while listening to music.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)