I just solved this. Can you? (MX2 students should have a go) (1 Viewer)

nightweaver066

HSC
Wow, forgot about this thread.

Yes, that's on the right track definitely.

How? Could you show working? I think you might've taken a limit wrong or something.

Limits of...?

Working is a bit long, but i combined the x and x^(alpha - 1), took out the constants (the T(alpha) and beta thing), considered the integral seperately, applied tabular integration, deduced what the integral would result in:

Subbed that back in to the integral, simplified and got

Edit: Nevermind, figured it out. I forgot to include something while integrating and now i have the answer. :)

Last edited:

bleakarcher

HSC
I got:

lim[R->infinity] I(A)=lim[R->infinity] AB*I(A-1) where A is alpha and B is beta.

?

jet

Banned
HSC
Are there any restrictions on and

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
I got:

lim[R->infinity] I(A)=lim[R->infinity] AB*I(A-1) where A is alpha and B is beta.

?
You don't take limits, you keep working it out. I(A) and I(A-1) are difficult to work with, so you simplify it down.

Are there any restrictions on and
As in...? I don't think so... or at least when I did the problem, I didn't think of that.

jet

Banned
HSC
You don't take limits, you keep working it out. I(A) and I(A-1) are difficult to work with, so you simplify it down.

As in...? I don't think so... or at least when I did the problem, I didn't think of that.
Care to post a solution?

RealiseNothing

what is that?It is Cowpea
HSC
I got:

?
That's what I'm up to.

@shadowdude or some one who did the question, have I nearly got the answer or is there still a long way to go?

jet

Banned
HSC
That only works if is a natural number. So unless shadowdude has left something out, that isn't the solution.

jet

Banned
HSC
Because the gamma function equals (alpha - 1)! only when alpha is a natural number non-zero. Otherwise it's defined by a complex integral expression.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
That's what I'm up to.

@shadowdude or some one who did the question, have I nearly got the answer or is there still a long way to go?
That's close. Bit more to go.

That only works if is a natural number. So unless shadowdude has left something out, that isn't the solution.
Ah, yeah okay... now I know what you mean. Alpha and beta are natural numbers. I think I implied it but didn't specify it - and the question from my book doesn't specify it either, but... I'll say they are natural numbers, so it'll work.

Anyways, here's how I did it:

Factor out the constants and combine the powers of x:

Let:

So we integrate by parts:

where:

Then:

Now, using the second given result:

So our expression simplifies to:

So as we have:

We can see that:

We solve this manually:

By integration by parts, as seen above:

Recall that:

So:

Use given fact one:

i hope that's right. my head hurts and i'd hate to see that i fudged the answer. <_<

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
So I just realised that the question didn't specify alpha and beta to be natural numbers because... they don't have to be.

So umm, I have to redo this question.

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

:(

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
So I just realised that the question didn't specify alpha and beta to be natural numbers because... they don't have to be.

So umm, I have to redo this question.

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

:(
Alpha was defined in the Gamma function, which already implies it being a Natural number (I doubt this question assumed knowledge of non-integer factorials..)

Beta was not explicitly defined to be an integer but we did nothing with it that required it to be an integer, so it's okay.

Last edited:

bleakarcher

HSC
ah shit, thats what i did wrong. I let I(A) represent just the integral without the limit...

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Alpha was defined in the Gamma function, which already implies it being a Natural number (I doubt this question assumed knowledge of non-integer factorials..)

Beta was not explicitly defined to be an integer but we did nothing with it that required it to be an integer, so it's okay.
I dunno, the... stats course I'm in isn't taught super well.

When we learned the gamma distribution it was like "Oh btw, there's this thing called the gamma function - here's what it is, here's three properties... and now this is the gamma distribution, that's the formula. Now the next distribution we have is..."

And then you know how tutorial problems have absolutely nothing to do with what's taught in lectures.

Maybe tomorrow I'll re-think what's going on and see if I actually do need to re-do the question, but you do raise a point.

ah shit, thats what i did wrong. I let I(A) represent just the integral without the limit...
you can do it that way, but you'll just have a whole lot of unnecessary terms when you sub it back in - all of which will be zero

jet

Banned
HSC

Actually, the question just states that the gamma function is defined as (alpha - 1)! when alpha is natural and non-zero, there's nothing there that specifically restricts alpha to be natural.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Actually, the question just states that the gamma function is defined as (alpha - 1)! when alpha is natural and non-zero, there's nothing there that specifically restricts alpha to be natural.
The original original original question is:

Let X ~ Gamma(alpha, beta). Prove E(X) = (alpha)(beta)

And then in that, you get an integral which I simplified and presented here... and I'm now 85% sure I did something wrong. dammit.

jet

Banned
HSC
Well if you learn about the Gamma distribution with alpha natural and non-zero, then you're fine. Otherwise, back to the drawing board.

bleakarcher

HSC
As I was falling asleep yesterday I realised what I did wrong. In setting up the reduction formula, I didn't take out the gamma function and the beta to the alpha LOL...shit.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)