I Know Whats In The Hsc Exam!! (1 Viewer)

rambo

HSC
ok i have a friend whose dad is the senior lecturer of chemistry at the university of nsw, and he is involved with setting the hsc chem paper. ok she told me that the board of studies aims to test all the dot points by the yr 2005, which means that this yr they will have to test all the stuff which they havent tested in past yrs!

ok ive gone through the papers, and he also told me other trends of the new hsc and this is what im SURE will come in the exam so study these sections especially hard:

perform a first-hand investigation to identify the conditions under which a galvanic cell is produced (you have to design this prac)

describe the way in which the above named radioisotopes are used and explain their use in terms of their chemical properties

identify acids such as acetic (ethanoic acid), citric (2-hydroxypropane-1,2,3-tricarboxylic acid), hydrochloric and sulfuric acid (KNOW THE STRUCTURES!!)

describe the purpose of using acid in esterification for catalysis (THIS IS A 6 MARKER, U MUST DRAW GRAPHS AND TALK ABOUT ACTIVATION ENERGY ETC..)

thats a few of them, if u wanna know more feel free to email me:
tru_buff180@hotmail.com

good luck guys!!

HSC
i wouldnt be surrpised if they tested the galvanic cell set up, they haven't before

Necros87

meh
HSC
N/A
well, you rekon you could get the actual q's out of him???... ok then, nm

did he involved in makeing the physics exam by any chance???

Captain Gh3y

Rhinorhondothackasaurus
HSC
rambo said:
My best friend's dog's boyfriend's owner's cousin is the president of the Board of Studies and facsimile'd me the exam paper a year ago.

Sorry, but I don't believe you. At any rate, if you're right, the test will contain this:

Captain Gh3y said:
- Catalytic or Steam Cracking
- Addition Polymerisation - the 2 methods
- The need for Alternatives to Petrochemicals
- Production of Ethanol from Sugar Cane and the Fermentation Process
- Galvanic Cell Experiments
- Instruments and Processes used to Detect Radiation

- Formation and Effects of Acid Rain
- Historical Development of Acids
- Buffers (Effects and Occurence in Nature)
- Occurence, Production and Uses of Esters in Cosmetics and Foods

- The Work of Practising Chemists in a range of and/or specific occupation
- Evaluate the Significance of Haber's Development of the industrial Synthesis of Ammonia at that time in World History
- Explain Evidence for the Need to Monitor Levels of one of a named Ion in Substances Used in Society
- Analyse the information available that indicates changes in atmospheric ozone concentrations, describe how the changes observed and explain how this info was obtained
- Something about all the factors that determine water quality, (concentratin of ions, TDS, hardness, turbidity, acidity, DO, BOD, heavy metal pollution, eutrophication..) how these are treated in the water we use, and the effectiveness of the treatments used...

HSC
they'll probably ask for in shipwrecks the last dot point on subsection 7 ... CSSA tends to be very accurate as for whats in the next exam

they where very close for VET IT :O

Haku

Casmira said:
they'll probably ask for in shipwrecks the last dot point on subsection 7 ... CSSA tends to be very accurate as for whats in the next exam

whats the last dot point?

and how does having sulfuric acid affect the activation energy of esterification?

Abtari

HSC
maritime project thingy

yeah i dunno about that one. i know its used as a dehydrating agent but dont see how it can be used as a catalyst, i.e. in speeding a reaction such as esterification..

HELP

physician

Some things never change.
HSC
Casmira said:

serious?.. interesting

I hope they dont ask that dot point, however something tells me they'll probably ask a question on the 4 scinetist, i.e Galvani, Volta, Davy and Farady...last year they asked a 4mark question on Farady...

hmmm, actualy on second thought, probably not. I just realsied they asked a 4 mark question in 2002, however it wasnt specific as to which scientist, it was basically all of em integrated!

Now that u mention it, if they are going to ask a question on the 4 scientists, i think it WILL be something like the one asked in the CSSA trial, "Compare the theories of Galvani and Volta" ( 2 marks )

Casmira were u refering to question 31 ( c ) in the CSSA?

meh, i hate electrolysis!

"With reference to the factors that affect an electrolysis reaction, analyse how an understanding of electrolysis has led to the development of efficient processes that can be applied in the conservation and restoration of marine artefacts"

( 5 marks).... prolly get like 2 marks for that, only because im lazy!

Abtari

HSC
Captain Gh3y said:
My best friend's dog's boyfriend's owner's cousin is the president of the Board of Studies and facsimile'd me the exam paper a year ago.

Sorry, but I don't believe you. At any rate, if you're right, the test will contain this:

rofl... :D:D:D

how can there be a 6-marker on the use of acid in esterification for catalysis? in the syllabus, its like an explain question... sorry but do find that hard to believe.

and with regards to things like identify structures of acids, the students who prepare well would have already got that under control at any rate. actually, wait, nvm :p

Haku

u need to know the damn structure?

not for citric acid... thats like so long.

HSC
perform investigations and gather information from secondary sources to compare conservation and restoration techniques applied in two Australian maritime archaeological projects

this big ugly question has yet to be asked, I'd place $50 that it will be asked

pravski

HSC
its not possible to test every single dot point in 4 years since the new hsc.

count how many there are

6 mark question on the use of acid in esterification...its a dehydrating agent and catalyst, that question was in our trial for 2 marks.

compared to trials HSC is easy, they dont ask ridiculous stuff like that for 6 marks

Haku

Abtari said:
maritime project thingy

yeah i dunno about that one. i know its used as a dehydrating agent but dont see how it can be used as a catalyst, i.e. in speeding a reaction such as esterification..

HELP
oh i get it, the sulfuric acid don't lower activision it just make it reach equiliburium faster by dehydrating out water. the reflux lower activation energy, cause the energy needed is too great so using reflux we can achieve such activation energy with lower heat from the bunsen

Abtari

HSC
nosadness said:
u need to know the damn structure?

not for citric acid... thats like so long.
doesnt matter. still need to know, obviously. :rolleyes:

Haku

but in my notes and stuff there has being no structure for citric acid. there isn;t even any for HCL or CH3COOH.

Abtari

HSC
nosadness said:
oh i get it, the sulfuric acid don't lower activision it just make it reach equiliburium faster by dehydrating out water. the reflux lower activation energy, cause the energy needed is too great so using reflux we can achieve such activation energy with lower heat from the bunsen
yes u are correct. refluxing allows the reaction to occur at a higher temperature than would be possible normally, as the volatile reactants arent lost...and hence can reach activation energy...

but the fact remains that most books talk about a double-barrelled reason for using acid in esterification

1) for dehydrating...and hence shifting equilibrium to the right
2) for catalysis...but i dont know how this works

SOMEONE PLEASE EXPLAIN THIS SECOND THINGY

Libbster

HSC
nosadness said:
um. i think reflux is used so as to ensure a complete reaction and to prevent any volatile components from escaping, i don't think it has anything to do with activation energy. or i could be completely wrong lol

Abtari

HSC
well the refluxing apparatus doesn't actually speed up the reaction. but it allows the reaction to occur to completion. true

Haku

Libbster said:
um. i think reflux is used so as to ensure a complete reaction and to prevent any volatile components from escaping, i don't think it has anything to do with activation energy. or i could be completely wrong lol
na, your wrong. well the second part is.

It's what I want that's easy. It's getting it that
HSC
rambo said:
ok i have a friend whose dad is the senior lecturer of chemistry at the university of nsw, and he is involved with setting the hsc chem paper. ok she told me that the board of studies aims to test all the dot points by the yr 2005, which means that this yr they will have to test all the stuff which they havent tested in past yrs!
Test everything in 5 years?! OLD NEWS! my chem teacher has been telling us that for the past two years. the BoS announced that when they released the new HSC.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)