i love you all...if u do this for me (1 Viewer)

shoo

hi everyone. i have something really inpotant to ask and it would be appreciated if i could get some feddback from someone...anyone!! see, for my PIP (which society and culture students would recognise as the personal interest project) i am rsearching that ' FEMALE LEBANESE HSC CANDIDATES ARE NOT AS AMBITIOUS TO EXCEL IN THE HSC AS VIETNAMESE FEMALE HSC CANDIDATES DUE TO DIFFERENCES IN CULTURAL PRIORITIES' what i need is for soem information relevant to this topic that may relate to either cultures, websites you think my be useful, people i could speack to, articles you've read or even your opinion if you are from either cultural background.

please please please i need everyone's assistance on this. know that your contribution will be greatly valued and beneficial to my research project. thanx guys (and girls) hehe

dezzy

HSC
geee, you've pick a hard one there....im of no assistance but..sorry!!!:(

kimmeh

Sleeping
HSC
shoo, what nash are you?
coz i'm viet and that topic is rather ambigous.. like i think i took it the wrong way. no offence or anything. i think its the whole 'race' divion thats got me hesitant. what made you pick this topic? just out of curiosity =]

crazylilmonkee

HSC
yeah.. its a bit of a difficult topic.. not that im lebanese of vietnamese but.. it could raise A LOT of issues.. good and bad

ameh

dirty trick
HSC
N/A
dunno mayb ppl from azn backgrounds, fobs, parents whose aprents went thru a lot of adversities raise their children up differently and do not bother with things such as religion bcos they noe it wont save them from simple things such as food, shelter etc.?

~*HSC 4 life*~

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by crazylilmonkee
yeah.. its a bit of a difficult topic.. not that im lebanese of vietnamese but.. it could raise A LOT of issues.. good and bad
thats the point...the pip is a mjor work worth 30% of ur HSC u have to write HEAPS on it, and it has to be a specific topic, and shoo has narrowed it down to speicifically lebanese and veitnamese FEMALES

i know someone who did their topic similarly to urs shoo, i'll ask them and get back to U
good luck,...i,m yet to find my topic lol

:: ck ::

Actuarial Boy
HSC
u've gotta be kidding me on this topic...

most obviously its a joke...

Actuarial Boy
HSC
ahahha yup i have long hair with dyed fringes T_T
oh and i wear black micro for skool

viet wannabe for sure :p

shoo

kimmeh, how did u take the question? what do u mean by race division? sorry if i sound aggressive, i just need to know for the research y'know. anyway, as to ur question about what made me choose it ill tell you. im a pretty good A student and i feel that there is really alot of pressure put on me to get in the high 90's in my hsc. im afemale, but suprisingly im lebanese, which makes my hypothesis sound really politically incorrect. i just wanted to know if my viet friends felt the same way and whether it was because of the culture ( i know that the viets strongly value education) or whether it was because of this preconcieved stereotype that all asians are geniuses. i also wanted to find out whether other lebanese females recognise the same stereotype that i have been exposed to ehich is that all lebs are either rapists, the girls alll get married at the age of 18 and have no brains and the parenst are all anti-western islamic fundamentalists? i know, i have strong opinions on the topic and it closely relates to me because of my gender and ethnic background so that is why i chose it. lengthy enough for u lol!

umm... "i know someone who did their topic similarly to urs shoo, i'll ask them and get back to U" thanx heaps i really need secondary sources.

ummm, ryan could u plz expand on why u think my topic is a joke...plz dnt get offended and think im upset i just would like to know ur thoughts...also, wat nash r u, just for the record...

thanx guys keep posting me if u find anyone or anything that could help me out..

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
That topic could actually be taken as racist, even though you don't mean it that way. I wouldn't be doing it....

Actuarial Boy
HSC
true
even if u dont intend ot be racist

it definately looks racist looking at the two races u mention

every1 knows theres always a bit of tension between lebanese and viets

kimmeh

Sleeping
HSC
Originally posted by Ms 12
That topic could actually be taken as racist, even though you don't mean it that way. I wouldn't be doing it....
i kinda was looking at it that way... :cold: though it wasnt intentional..

Originally posted by :: ryan.cck ::
true
even if u dont intend ot be racist

it definately looks racist looking at the two races u mention

every1 knows theres always a bit of tension between lebanese and viets
i so totally agree with ryan...
i'm a viet and my cousins keep bagging them out.. even my tutor does .. :confused:

swangal

it seems like uve chosen a good PIP topic becos aleady ppl are starting discussions about it!
just a few points to add though ( there only suggestions so if u dont like em its fine)...
y dont u broaden it from just ambitions in the HSC to education/learning in general? u would then be able to relate more to their native traditions in education in Lebanon and Vietnam...U could also possibly gain stats relating to University entrance data relating to the %'s of either nationality attending university
R u going to compare the education systems in Vietnam and Lebanon to Australia's approach to education or just specifically Vietnamese and Lebanese females in Nsw doing the HSC?
its likely ur topic will alter slightly as all of ur research starts to come together so dont worry if it changes!
Anyways good luck...I did the PIP this year and it not as big a deal as it is made out to be!

p.s. -have u posted this on the Society and Culture forum yet??

LiLLy_H

Hey!

The reason why many students of Asian descent are more ambitious to excel in the HSC is because most of the parents have low-paying jobs etc (No offense!). Most of their parents suffered adversity and some were destitute beofre arriving in Australia (referring to Vietnamese refugees during the Vietnam war) so now they pressure their children to do well in hopes that obtaining a UAI of over 90 will lead to financial security in the future....something many of them never had. The kids want to makes their parents proud.
However, no comment regarding Lebanese students are less ambitious.

myst

HSC
Shoo,

What did your teacher say when you told him/her about this topic??

From someone doing S&C you would need reliable methodologies for this kind of topic

ie; newspaper articles and a fair amount of quantitative methodologies to reinforce your argument

I still think you may need to change this topic. It could still be in the same general area about different cultures and their HSC ambitions, but maybe you could change your focus question---so it doesnt sound racist

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)