HSC
On the syllabus,,,one of the dot points are
"roles and impact of conservative parties and elites on the political process"

who are the elites?
other than Bruining and Hindenberg??

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
Ummm I think we had a tiny bit of stuff on industrialists.... we didn't have very much for this DP

This is all I had in my summary under that DP

Industrialists- financed the Nazis and SA, gave support to Hitler, wanted to increase army and stop communism- helped undermine democracy.
Army- wanted to stop communists, wanted right wing chancellors, oath of allegiance to Hitler (Aug 34), supported Night of Long Knives, interfered in politics through Schleicher influencing Hindenburg

Hmmm... maybe I need help on it too!

karl

I've got voices in my head. I can't beleive all th
maybe the Junker class? The Landed Prussian upper-class (-ish. I dont think they were always aristocrats as such). Disliked the Weimar idea, wanted a return to authoritarian imperial rule.

Supported right-wing / militaristic parties. I can't quite remember (I haven't started revising Germany yet). I think you'd just talk about how Hindenburg was convinced to give the Chancellorship to that "little austrian corporal".

timmii

sporadic attendee
Ok, another conservative group that is important to consider is the "Harzburg Front". This was the right wing media controlled by Hugenberg (think UFA film productions). A partnership of convenience gave hitler extensive exposure in the media, and they also gave a lot of coverage to his witness-stand speeches in the trial for the Beerhouse putsh of 1923 - more so than is ever afforded to witness testimony, and which actually resulted in Hitler garnering support from his conviction.

Ironically, the Harzburg front also used an instrument in the Weimar constitution designes specifically to foster democracy in germany, to undermine teh republic. The consititution allowed for ordinary citizens to hold plebiscites so as to have a hand in "direct democracy" (Think about what has been happening in california over the past year - citizens can actually suggest their own laws, and since they have been imposing price ceilings etc on utility prices there have been massive energy crises and budget deficits etc...which has now resulted in a recall election instigated by private citizens, but nevertheless i digress)

In 1928, the Harzburg gront organised a plebiscite to defeat the isntitution of the Young Plan - which like the Dawes plan of 1924 was intended to bring more funds into germany. The conservatives realsied that more money would mean more jobs, higher incomes, greater security etc, and their supporter basis, which relied on people being dissatisfied with the status quo would be diminished. Their plebiscite was narrrowly defeated, but it does exemplify the extent to which conservatives were willing to go in order to consistently undermine the fledgling republic.

jgirl:).....

i thought it was all about the different parties coming in and out of limelight in the Weimar Republic, all revolved around Ebert, and the KPD, and centre parties, and the changing of political process??

timmii

sporadic attendee
its about understanding all the forces of change in Germany at that time.

So yes, consider the left (and how its division facilitated Hitler's rise).

Consider the junker class and its desire for a return to authroitarianism. Consider the centre parties and their failure to adequately provide for the middle classes whose savings were wiped out in the hyperinflation of the early 20s and who lost their livelihoods in teh depression. Consider the role of the media and its portrayal of hitler as well as a force of persuasion for change. Consider the conservatives in control of the judiciary (light sentences for RW activists, harsh sentences for LW activists), the bureaucracy, the police, the parliament. Consider the influence that was exerted (or not exerted) by Hindenberg - a stauch monarchist left as the last defense of the republic. Consider the three chancellors - bruning, von papen, schleicher.

meh

if anyone wants something on this pm me - i have about 2 pages of info on it

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)