I Need help on Transformations (1 Viewer)

Bicey

Is there anyone that could give me a few tips on how 2 write a good essay on transformations: Hamlet and Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are dead, help would be appreciated
Thanx

LUVELS

no worries i fully understand what you mean. what i have done is found what stoppard has transformed from Hamlet to R&G. that is intertextuality (this is when he uses shakespeares text in his own version) humour and parody, a suggestive title (if you have already read Hamlet, you know R & G are dead, as the title suggests) shift in centre stage, (we are forced to change our vision from Hamlet in Shakespeare's text to R & G - shift in centre stage - ),and language the change from Shakespeares formal and sorrow serious text to Stoppard's ridiculed, parody full send up on life.
Hope this helps you
if anyone can add nething else that would be really helpful to me too
TA!!

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
treat each text equally, not more on one of them
include values, and how they have been altered

LadyMoon

HSC
What i suggest would be:
to make notes on each of the values, and how they are transformed...pick 3-4 major themes(death, fate or self determination, etc) , find out the (b)value(/b) of the characters/context, and make 5 points on each of the texts for each of the Themes (each point; 3-4 lines). Focus on (b)what(/b) Stoppard has transformed in the theme explored in Hamlet and the same theme explored in Ros and Guil, and why he has? (different contexts hold different values).

And MEMORISE them all!
(and integrate quotes into your points so that you don't have to remember quotes seperately, and it elevates the level of sophistication of your answer)

Also make notes on Structure and language/ maybe characters also...

Goodluck!

Edit: You MUST know the value associated with each theme. Value is NOT a Theme. For example the valuse associated with Death is "the belief in Afterlife"

Last edited:

+:: $i[Q]u3 ::+

Jaded Member
HSC
make a mind map!
put all the notes/info u have in a diagram or something with arrows, and try to link the important ideas together with a central thesis.
it's really important that you have something to say (the thesis) so that anything u have in ur essay relates to ur thesis.

with the question in the hsc, u can modify ur thesis just that little bit to suit (and answer!) the question.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)