I need help with coping with STRESS!! (1 Viewer)

Hampsters-rul

HSC
Here is the problem: i am nearing exam time 2 weeks to go!!! :eek:I have 3 assignments due before then one due this friday :eek:. I am starting to freak out i am getting butterflys in my stomach. Im losing sleep at night :sleep:. 2 weeks ago i was ill for a week and i missed 5 days of school. I have just about lost motivation on doing my homework and assignments and i dont know what to do!!!!:eek:
Help would be muchly appreciated

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
i know exactly how you feel, just about everyone does at some stage of their HSC.

when you feel a freakout coming on:

Stop.

Breathe deeply in through your nose and out through your mouth several times until your heart rate is back to normal (this does more then you can imagine to your brain to calm you down).

Tell yourself aloud "everything will get done, i am ok and i will get it done".

Then take 10 minutes break outside in the fresh air before you try again.

Its also a good idea not to drink coffee as this will only keep you on edge while working and make it more difficult to go to sleep. To help you go to sleep, don't go right to bed after studying cuz you will just lay there for hours with you're brain overly active. It needs wind-down time so go and watch some TV or have a cup of tea or something, this will help you sleep better.

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
Take a 10-15 minute relaxation time. Then do the wrk. Just shut up and do it, no excuses.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
tommykins said:
Take a 10-15 minute relaxation time. Then do the wrk. Just shut up and do it, no excuses.
Then MSN and BoS kicks in? :p

Tammi105

HSC
Feel calm before you start the work- play light back ground music and set a goal. e.g. A tv show to watch- you can only go watch it when you are done.
Remember to have a 5 minutes break every 30-40 minutes but DO go back to the assignment at hand.
I find that when doing this i can finish an essay in around an hour with out many problems if any.

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
tanjin said:
Relax, it's Year 11.
i lol'd so hard coz i thought it was another HSCer

year 11. oh man, get over it now, otherwise you'll neck yourself by the half yearlies.

emytaylor164

HSC
N/A
katie tully said:
i lol'd so hard coz i thought it was another HSCer

year 11. oh man, get over it now, otherwise you'll neck yourself by the half yearlies.
Year 11 is nothing to stress about..

Anyway
break everything you need to do into a series of smaller tasks.
make a list with priorities
and start ploughing through each one
you will feel you are making progress and will feel much more calmer

lionking1191

HSC
its yr 11...relax, i started studying for y11 yrlies a week b4 - u'll be just fiine..

but if ur stressed now you really need to get ur act together before the hsc. time management is the obvious biggie here.. spread ur workload thru out the yr, that way you won't be pulling ur hair out near exam time

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
babikakez said:
All of the people telling the year 11's that prelim isn't worth stressing over are unlikely to be helping them.
oh so we should pander to them and tell them it's ok?

it's not ok. if they're spacking out over year 11, they're retards. wait until 2 weeks before the HSC if they want to experience stress.

-tal-

HSC
Hampsters-rul said:
Here is the problem: i am nearing exam time 2 weeks to go!!! :eek:I have 3 assignments due before then one due this friday :eek:. I am starting to freak out i am getting butterflys in my stomach. Im losing sleep at night :sleep:. 2 weeks ago i was ill for a week and i missed 5 days of school. I have just about lost motivation on doing my homework and assignments and i dont know what to do!!!!:eek:
Breathe. You have 2 weeks. Make it a goal to do at least 2 hours of interrupted study/homework/note making/revision a day. Then start to build on the time. I like using post its to remind me of what I have to do and when.

Prioritise, and focus on one thing at a time.

Have confidence in your own abilities man - you'll catch up, get the stuff done, and kill the exams. Period.

If all else fails, pull an all nighter. They don't kill you.

marcquelle

a.k.a. Michael...Hi!
HSC
katie tully said:
oh so we should pander to them and tell them it's ok?

it's not ok. if they're spacking out over year 11, they're retards. wait until 2 weeks before the HSC if they want to experience stress.

Stress effects everyone differently. Eg. Last year i never stressed out once before exams. And for one we aren't retards.

My advice would to be relax every hour have a break for 10+ minutes. And just remember the more you stress the worse it will get. If your stressing now. Get offline and lay down for 10minutes.

Alternative: Try aroma therapy, meditation or a simple cup of decaffinated tea.

if your addicted to coke. go for the diet caffeine free. Tastes just as good, and won't stress you out as much.

bawd

HSC
I heard intensive exercise is good for stress, so I'd probably go out for a run around the block just to shake off the feelings of butterflies and to boost motivation.

Otherwise, you could just stock up on those UTS muscle man stress balls. (how does squeezing something relieve stress?)

Also, try googling 'how to cope with stress', or even just search this forum. I'm certain I've read a whole heap of threads just like this somewhere.

:)

Stang

HSC
don't stress out over year 11 =]
you need you go out to a good party and have fun :)

gloworm14

HSC
N/A
bawd said:
I heard intensive exercise is good for stress, so I'd probably go out for a run around the block just to shake off the feelings of butterflies and to boost motivation.

Otherwise, you could just stock up on those UTS muscle man stress balls. (how does squeezing something relieve stress?)

Also, try googling 'how to cope with stress', or even just search this forum. I'm certain I've read a whole heap of threads just like this somewhere.

:)
ooh i have one of those little muscle mans lol:)
i still dont get how 'pump up your uai at uts' works.:confused:
its only yr 11 so dont stress too much. i guess you can take something good out of this: doing assessments asap so you have more time to study for exams when you start yr 12?

HSC
Hampsters-rul said:
dont freak out too much - remember there are tens of thousands of kids in your position. i hav to admit id been stressing out a couple of weeks ago. you gotta take a break every now and then.

oh and 3 assignments? thats ridiculous - my school implements a 2 week assessment free period before the SC, prelims and HSC exams. i think it works well. we actually have time to study if we havnt.

EPHS '09

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
ser.en.dip.i.ty said:
dont freak out too much - remember there are tens of thousands of kids in your position. i hav to admit id been stressing out a couple of weeks ago. you gotta take a break every now and then.

oh and 3 assignments? thats ridiculous - my school implements a 2 week assessment free period before the SC, prelims and HSC exams. i think it works well. we actually have time to study if we havnt.

EPHS '09
I've heard of schools that do that, and that don't allow students to have more then 2 assessments at any given time. What i would have given to have that, Count yourself as very lucky!

Worst week of my life: 1st week back after the holidays, 5 in class assessments right before the trials.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)