I need help with Wifi! please! (1 Viewer)

JasmineNuytre

I AM ACTUALLY BIGPOLE
HSC
Ok I have a network adapter installed in my laptop,its the Atheros AR5007EG Wireless Network Adapter.

Now I've tried *EVERYTHING* but I can't connect to WiFi. I tried manually making a connection but everytime my DSi finds the access point I get a 500 error on my DS. Am I not doing it right?

I know this is a lot but can someone explain to a novice like me how to start a wifi connection/make an access point in very simple English since me and technology do not mix, obviously.

BTW: I'm running on Vista and on a PC Laptop not Mac

Thank you VERY much.

SnowFox

Premium Member
HSC
I know the "fucking answer" and lots of people post in it.

The Atheros AR5007EG Wireless Network Adapter allows you to connect to a wireless router.

Your DS has to connect to a Router to be able to function.

Buy a wireless router thats functional with DS and make sure its set to the right security settings.

JasmineNuytre

I AM ACTUALLY BIGPOLE
HSC
Thanks! damn people have been telling me theres a way you can connect without a router, like on a adhoc network.

sam04u

Comrades, Comrades!
HSC
Is your WiFi point secured or not? If it's unsecured you should have no problems connecting. Otherwise depending on the security measures in place ie;(Mac Address Prohibition/PS key's and what not) you're going to have to put that information into the DSi

I know for instance with the DS you can not connect wirelessly until prompted via the game in which case all the settings need to be fixed manually on the DS. (Don't know if the DSi is different).

Also, this thread was in the wrong place.

IF ALL ELSE FAILS:
Delete System 32.

SnowFox

Premium Member
HSC
Thanks! damn people have been telling me theres a way you can connect without a router, like on a adhoc network.
You can make a adhoc network if you really want to, but i dont think a DS will be able to function well with it.

sam04u

Comrades, Comrades!
HSC
You can make a adhoc network if you really want to, but i dont think a DS will be able to function well with it.
It's a DSi you illiterate cunthole atleast read the OP.

SnowFox

Premium Member
HSC
It's a DSi you illiterate cunthole atleast read the OP.
Oh sorry, in which case your royally screwed because DS games that pre-date DSi do not function with the new software.

JasmineNuytre

I AM ACTUALLY BIGPOLE
HSC
So guys if I buy the Nintendo Wifi USB thing (which is a rip off, but it's the only one thats simple enough to understand) and connect it to my laptop, I can get online with my DSi even with the games that predate the DSi?.

I really appreciate this! thanks.

SnowFox

Premium Member
HSC
No...any game manufactured BEFORE the DSi came out does NOT support the new software. No hardware is going to change it, unless you get your DS/DSlite and play it on that.

The game might come out in the future that supports the software though, Like Halo 2 did when the 360 wasnt backwards compatible with it.

JasmineNuytre

I AM ACTUALLY BIGPOLE
HSC
That sucks! I traded in my DS lite for the DSi....damn!

I guess no trading Pokemon for me :'(.

SnowFox

Premium Member
HSC
Hotspot=Online....

Borrow someones DS if your that desperate o_O

JasmineNuytre

I AM ACTUALLY BIGPOLE
HSC
This is the first time I hear of this, I totally thought games such as Pokemon pearl, diamond etc will work online with the DSi, fuck you Nintendo, fuck you.

I am desperate! I spent hours on this fucking game and now I cant finish it...what a waste...

JasmineNuytre

I AM ACTUALLY BIGPOLE
HSC
OMG you're such a liar snowfox, you can use your DSi online with games released prior to the DSi. I just checked online and people are able to go online with their DSi despite using an ordinary DS game.

Last edited:

SnowFox

Premium Member
HSC
OMG you're such a liar snowfox, you can use your DSi online with games released prior to the DSi. I just checked online and people are able to go online with their DSi despite using an ordinary DS game.
GameSpot Forums - Nintendo DS - How do i get dsi online? (only for "wep" users?)

Setting Up the DSi for Online
To connect your Nintendo DSi to the Internet, your system will need to be in a Wi-Fi capable “hotspot.” If you have broadband at home, you’ll need to set up a wireless router with a network name and a password. If the public hotspot requires users to enter login information via a webpage, this generally means that it will not work for DSi online play.

In the Settings menu, you’ll need to select one of the first three profiles and search for your compatible Wi-Fi hotspot. Once selected, you’ll need to enter the password of that hotspot. After a short test to see if the connection will work, as long as the information you’ve provided is correct your system will connect online. If you receive an error code, please note the digits and check Nintendo’s Wi-Fi technical support website at NintendoWIFI.com.

The Nintendo DSi is compatible with WPA or WEP hotspots, but if you’re connecting to the Internet in older Nintendo DS games, you must play in a hotspot that’s has a WEP password or isn’t protected at all. These settings are designated in settings profile 1, 2, and 3. WPA support is only for DSi-specific functions, and must be entered into Profiles 4, 5, or 6.

If you have a Windows-compatible computer, you can purchase a Nintendo Wi-Fi connector that installs into a USB port. This device shares the Internet connection with your Nintendo DS wirelessly and makes setup a breeze: simply tap the “Wi-Fi Connector” button and follow the directions on your PC.

Once you’re set up and online, the Wi-Fi light will illuminate and blink to let you know that your system is live and connected.

IGN DS: Nintendo DSi Starter Guide - Getting Online

Majority of Australia's hotspots are running WPA security and you dont own a wireless router by the sounds of it, so yeah...old games run WEP.

JasmineNuytre

I AM ACTUALLY BIGPOLE
HSC
Well can't you create a hotspot with a WEP password or with no security making your laptop the "hotspot"? I'm sure you can, and just use the USB.

SnowFox

Premium Member
HSC
Yes, but im basing all my information off hardware you said you had.

If you had a router/dongle that is WEP compatible, knock yourself out trading pokemon.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)