• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

I need Help!!! (1 Viewer)

Skitten

HSC
Hey,

I'm studying the Individual and Society and we have an assignment of 3000 word composition of letters between two members of nineteenth century society. The only problem is i'm having trouble writing in the way prople from Victorian England would speak. I really need some help here, my teacher marks really really really hard and expects this to be compelely authentic. It anyone has any advice, tips or maybe even knows some nineteenth century terms that they could share please help?!!?

stargaze

HSC
Heyhey,

I (and a lot of ppl in my class) also had problems in writing in an 'authentic' 19th century style. To my knowledge, there really aren't any study guide type of things that 'teach' u how to write in the language of that time period.

So the best thing I can recommend is to read as much as u can. By reading, i mean reading stuff written during the 19th century - letters, novels, short stories, articles - whatever. Initially, get a feel of it and ull notice that stuff like sentence structure for instance is a bit different to today.

I think the important thing is to highlight/take down very 19th century-esque terms that u feel u could incorporate into your own creative work. And remember, it's not just the phrases & language they use, but just make sure u cover the 'ways of thinking' aspect and understand what the concerns were of the ppl of that day.

Goodluck, i know that this can be particularly hard.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)