I need help! (1 Viewer)

M'broughRockz

HSC
i have chosen the collapse of the soviet union (i know im fuked), but how can i mould a focus question that will answer stuff about historians perspectives of the collapse and how their are interpretations of it...... sumthin like that.

I got one guy in mind "John Lewis Gaddis".

If anyone can help....be appreciated greatly.

hopeles5ly

Take Me Higher.
HSC
N/A
hmm well whats your objective for it? examples are like

do u want to affirm reasons for why the historian hold's his perspective on how it collapsed?

to evalute reasons for how the collapse of the soviet union has been changed or interrupted overtime? which is based on historian viewpoints

bring new light on the issue? like put in your own perspective for how it had collapsed or how "john lewish gaddish" interrupts it

but generaly your question can go something along the lines of ...

"evaluate the changing historical interpretations in relation to the the fall of the soviet union"

or you can get a quote from "john lewish gaddis" which states his perspective of your topic and just base your question around that.

Last edited:

Plebeian

The fall of the Soviet Union is a massive topic and you might do better to pick something more specific within that general region. I'm not sure what this could be, I didn't do modern history, but something along the lines of "the role of Gorbachev in the fall of the Soviet Union" or "the extent to which glasnost and perestroika contributed to the breakup of the Soviet Union", etc. Alternatively, if there is a particularly well-known work about it, you might consider a critical analysis of that work, comparing it with the opinions of other historians. Someone in my class did that for Gibbon's 'Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire', and it worked pretty well because he didn't have to research such a huge topic himself. However, the fall of the Soviet Union is pretty recent so you may not find that views about why it fell have changed much since then. Above all you need to pick a topic that is manageable in size and has opposing historical views. Your question will fall into place later on.

X

xeuyrawp

M'broughRockz said:
i have chosen the collapse of the soviet union (i know im fuked), but how can i mould a focus question that will answer stuff about historians perspectives of the collapse and how their are interpretations of it...... sumthin like that.

I got one guy in mind "John Lewis Gaddis".

If anyone can help....be appreciated greatly.
Natural focusing of questions come when you do research.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)