i need notes for salads and appetizers! (1 Viewer)

bybrainisinpain

HSC
I know it's only a small unit, but everything counts in hospitality (or so i've been told). If you have any, could you please help. (i'm feeling a little bit desperate) thanx :)

bybrainisinpain

HSC
for the whole unit! i've gone and lost my book, so i have none of the notes. my teacher won't let me photocopy the notes that she has, so this is a last resort.

wrangler

HSC
this topic isnt examinable in hsc as its not a commpusery unit as far as i no so i wouldnt stress to much, as long as u no the shear basics

Snow Pea!

Touch it Bring it Pay it
HSC
well we didnt do too much on that.. but ah.. i can have a look for you if you want and see wot i can do..
i have stuff on vegetables.. how to identify.. diff types of salads etc.. and maybe sumthin else.. PM me if needed

HSC
wrangler said:
this topic isnt examinable in hsc as its not a commpusery unit as far as i no so i wouldnt stress to much, as long as u no the shear basics
They can test u on whatever they like, so long as its in the syllabus..

and i think i have my old notes so i can email them to u if u like (and if i can find them..)

aurora_05

HSC
mmm. i haven't got much on salads (fairly shifty teacher)(i think she actually learns more from us than we do from her) but heres my random notes:

- Always use fresh produce when preparing a salad as taste, colour, and texture are important considerations
- Lettuce is a common ingredient in salads - the main types are cos (green), iceberg (green), mignonette (sp?)(deep reddy/purple), butter(green), coral (red and green), and oakleaf (red and green)
- Traditional salads include Greek (tomato, cucumber, black olives, onions, feta, oregano, olive oil), Coleslaw (shredded cabbage, carrot, onion, celery, capsicum, mayonnaise dressing), Waldorf (celery, apple, green grapes, walnuts, mayonnaise dressing and served on a lettuce leaf), Caesar (cos lettuce, bacon, fried croutons, anchovies, boiled egg, caesar dressing. often served also with chicken), and Tabouli (parsley, pre-soaked cracked wheat, spring onions, tomatoes, olive oil)
- Salads can be divided into 2 categories - simple (consist of only 2 ingredients and the dressing. eg. potato salad, green salad, and tomato salad) and Compound (contain a variety of ingredients such as fruit, meat, chicken, seafood, eggs, or croutons. They use both raw and cooked vegetables. eg. greek salad, coleslaw, waldorf salad, caesar salad)
- Salad dressings can be oil or vinegar based and should be well seasoned. An example of an oil based dressing is mayonnaise and an example of a vinegar based dressing is a vinaigrette which is made with 2 parts oil and 1 part vinegar then seasoned with sald and pepper or mustard.
- Dressing should be kept to a minimum as an excess tends to make salad greens soggy. Dressings should be added to salads just before serving time to preserve the quality of the salad ingredients.

mmm. yeah thats kinda all i have on salads. probably should have more but meh. Not really sure where my appetisers information went...spose I should find it before exams...Hope that helps :)

kornfreak

HSC
I am in almost the same situation except my teacher lost my book. I have most of my notes i just need some note on salads and appetizers! could anyone with any info plz e-mail me,
cheers.

aznangel1314

HSC
Yr 12 examination

Section 1 40 multiple choice questions (20marks)

Section 2 Short answe type questions

you will be questioned on these:
follow wokplace hygiene prcedures
develop and update hospitality industry knowledge

collegues and customers
clean premises and equipment
Follow Health Safety and security procedures
and possibly
Present Food
Section 3 ESsay type eustions (Choose One to write about)​
study:
Organise and prepare food
Present food
also have a god knowledge on the practical classes you have particpated in

NB: YOU DO NOT NEED TO LEARN
STOCKS, SOUPS, SAUCES
SALADS & APPETISERS
SANDWHICES
although these must be studied for Certificate 2 in Hospitality but not the HSC TRIALS or HSC

whitepointer

HSC
N/A
Salads and appetizers is no biggie... Learn at least three pices of legislation related to Hospitality Industry and be able to write them down exactly! As for salads.... they have one thing in common and this is vital.... salads and sandwiches undergo no further preparation or cooking.... you dont get the opportunity to zap any bugs that might be present so hygiene and HACCP and Food Safety Plan are vital... Write a food safety plan and HACCP for A roast chicken salad sandwich with mayonnaise ... you will find that you will cover all the necessary items. Learn a couple of salads and use terms like "simple salad" composite salad" "traditional salad" Id concentrate on writing a workplan for a end of year function .... christmas style or a corporate dinner and have a good working knowledge of the menu - equipment, skill level, seasonal availability OH&S etc

Dont stress over the exam..... predict what is on the exam and "write your own" exam

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)