I need some help please! (1 Viewer)

Aslightissue

HSC
Hi,

Skip to THE POINT if you don't like to read or listen to emo bitching.
STORY:

I spent heaps of time in the Year 11 Term 2 holidays and Term 3 going through Postmodernism stuff. I read all of the texts, because I thought I was going to be doing it in Year 12. I was the only one in my class (I do Distance Education, btw), so she let me choose. At the start of the year she thought it would be great, then she talked to me about Crime Fic, but I decided to keep going with Pomo. I asked her about good books on it, then spent $166 on books off Amazon, getting really pumped about it (bear in mind I did this with her blessing, not going off completely half-assed ;) ). Now guess what. She's got a new student, and he's a sports nut who's switched to distance so he can keep up with the sport he plays. Now my English teacher reckons he's not going to be able to cope with Pomo, based on past work and his sport workload, so she's putting both of us on Crime fic!

My question is as follows

THE POINT:

I've tried looking on the real BoS, to no avail, so this is my question. Does the entire class have to do the one module? I know it is the norm, but I can't see how, as I'm doing distance, it should matter. As I'm not in the classroom situation, I could just study the books and notes and do the assessments myself, which is what I would do anyway. it just means she has to mark two seperate types of work and send out different assessments.

I think I can get Pomo notes off another school, which is what my teacher was going to do anyway (Woodlawn, it's a Catholic outfit), so does anyone know of any real, board of studies rule or what-not that states that I cannot do this?

Thanks very much

HSC
N/A
hrm

Basically, it is easier for your teacher to teach the one subject to two students (even if they are distance students). She only has to prepare one set of notes, can compare responses etc... and this takes up a lot more time than you think :/ I wonder if it's possible to get another teacher...?

I could just study the books and notes and do the assessments myself
Are you serious...?

Whilst I suppose it's possible to 'teach yourself Pomo" (in a "my parents are both EE1 teachers and I've been doing uni-level work for two years now, this'll be easy" kind of way), but I think it's highly unlikely. Do not underestimate the depth of understanding EE1 requires, and unless you HAVE been doing HSC or uni-level work for at least a year, it's wise to not overestimate your capabilities.

Mind you, my opinion is coming from the perspective of one who cannot imagine getting through EE1 without the guidance of a good EE1 teacher. If others disagree, feel free.

Aslightissue

HSC
glitterfairy said:
hrm

Basically, it is easier for your teacher to teach the one subject to two students (even if they are distance students). She only has to prepare one set of notes, can compare responses etc... and this takes up a lot more time than you think :/ I wonder if it's possible to get another teacher...?

Are you serious...?

Whilst I suppose it's possible to 'teach yourself Pomo" (in a "my parents are both EE1 teachers and I've been doing uni-level work for two years now, this'll be easy" kind of way), but I think it's highly unlikely. Do not underestimate the depth of understanding EE1 requires, and unless you HAVE been doing HSC or uni-level work for at least a year, it's wise to not overestimate your capabilities.

Mind you, my opinion is coming from the perspective of one who cannot imagine getting through EE1 without the guidance of a good EE1 teacher. If others disagree, feel free.
Yeah, I know what you mean. I just don't know, cause I thought I probably wouldn't have much contact with her anyway. Maybe she was planning some kind of telephone schedule or something. Hmm. I just don't think I have a great argument, because if I do Crime Fic I can probably do alright, but she seems to think that if this guy does Pomo he'll fail. So it won't affect my UAI, but it will affect his. :S.

Anyway, thanks for your opinion, duly noted.

HSC
N/A
Another option is to ask whether you can do Pomo anyway. She might say yes, she might say no. Still worth a shot :)

Cactus

Sorcerer's Apprentice
HSC
I didn't read the whole question but:

In my HSC Physic class, the teacher was a bit of a loser, so me and another guy decided to ditch class for the elective topic, and teach ourselves another one. When you're in the exam room, and you are selecting which topic to answer, the school has no authority over you. Needless to say, me and the guy who didn't follow the teacher were #1 and #2 in the class.

So no, you're not obliged to do the topic your teacher has set, although ultimately it's a good idea because you probably sat through class for weeks learning it

madelyn

HSC
My ext 1 teacher was really absent-minded, procrastinated and he ended up spending most of the class rambling about random tangents: in short, we got no work done in class, to the point where I often stopped going because it was all so pointless.

Despite the difficulties encountered in dealing with really complex concepts and trying to write unbelieveably sophisticated and analytical essays without guidance (glitter fairy is right, guidance makes a WORLD of difference) I managed to get one of the top ranks while everyone else in my class got ranked quite badly compared to the classes with competent teachers. This was all thanks to my interest in the elective.

Guidance helps unbelievably, but you seem both dedicated and interested in the topic, and I think that will ultimately determine whether you do well or not.

Btw, Postmodernism is part of text and ways of thinking - one of the real challenges of this module is constructing an essay which combines discussion and evaluation of the paradigms with your concept and arguement about post-modernism, and links the two together. I really struggled with writing the essay intially, but managed to work it out in the end on my own. If you think you can do it, go for it.

*Ninny-mole*

The Power Is Yours...
HSC
Hmmm, this won't help you much... because we didn't do pomo and this post kinda doesn't make sense... but...
although I had a great teacher, I didn't really do much in class, and like with most english classes we just sat around talking and reading texts. Because I wasn't very attentative and didn't do much, I was forced to learn it all by myself just before exams. This resulted in pretty good assessment marks but totally shit exam marks. I am ranked 6/13 which is only due to my assessments, and now with the EE1 HSC exam this friday I am crapping myself because I don't know anything (it is my own fault). Point is, you should just go with your teacher and do crime fiction. I know it would shit you of because you've already read the books and bought stuff for it, but if she thinks you will get good marks in crime fiction you should do it...
Yeah, hope that sorta helped.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)