I Need Ur Help Pleaze! (1 Viewer)

sue89

HSC
Hey guys,i just reciently moved schools and am totally confused in geo itz not the same as last year and i am failing badly.I have just done a field study and am in the process of doing my SGPat skool.The problem is i had a crap teacher last year and am having trouble setting out my report.I have no idea how to write up methods, hypothesis etc i suck.I have no structure and dont kno where to start.Iwas given a topic question-investigate seral progression at seven mile beach? my major problem is what and how to write the methods.If anyone can give me tips on how to set out my report and the steps to take and especially what methods i could include or how to write them cause i have no clue it would be much appreciated thank u so much!!

Last edited:

becky175

becky175
HSC
my teacher sux

heya that totally suks your failing what 7mile beach are you doinf around what area? im having a real hard time in geography aswell my teachers so bad i dont understand anything he says he jus gets off the track its so hard to understand im in yr 11 and im just having to learn out of my test book as he doesnt teach us anything. well goodluck im sure you wil be fine hang in there

It's what I want that's easy. It's getting it that
HSC
sue89 said:
Hey guys,i just reciently moved schools and am totally confused in geo itz not the same as last year and i am failing badly.I have just done a field study and am in the process of doing my SGPat skool.The problem is i had a crap teacher last year and am having trouble setting out my report.I have no idea how to write up methods, hypothesis etc i suck.I have no structure and dont kno where to start.Iwas given a topic question-investigate seral progression at seven mile beach? my major problem is what and how to write the methods.If anyone can give me tips on how to set out my report and the steps to take and especially what methods i could include or how to write them cause i have no clue it would be much appreciated thank u so much!!
First of all, you dont suck - i had the same problem...either that or we both suck...hmmm

With the writing of the method there are two main ways to do this:
1. You can write it in directive language (ie like a recipe) where it says 'do this' and then 'do that'
2. You can write in past tense: i)Firstly, this was done
ii) The next thing was then done
I did my SGP last year and ended up winning an externally marked competition run by a research foundation. Not trying to boast but simply suggesting that this information is fairly trustworthy - because it works!
I used the second form of method because it sounds more impressive (ie: You actually DID the fieldwork rather than just planned it)

OK, i think that might be enough to get you started with the method...i don't know much about ur topic to elaborate anymore

With Structure, our teacher gave us this set-up. it was really easy to follow and got everything covered:
i) ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS
This is where you thank people who have helped. Not necessary but is nice and sounds professional (good advantage if you put the name of the teacher who is marking in there with a little comment because it gets them in a good mood before they start reading the rest of the report...lol)
ii) TABLE OF CONTENTS
You probably know what one of these are, but they look good and fills up a page so that the report looks more sustained which is normally part of the geography marking rubric. remember to number all of your pages and check this table of contents at the end of your report to make sure that the numbers correspond. I would probably do this section last.
iii) INTRODUCTION
Introduce the topic area (ie 7 mile beach) and talk about the process of seral progression in general. basically this section is to give the marker the background information to the report because, remember, YOU did the report, not them. Good to put in a location map here.
iv) AIMS, OBJECTIVES AND HYPOTHESES
Aims: what you want to investigate
Objectives: how you are going to do it (eg: secondary research, first hand investigation/fieldwork)
Hypotheses: what you expect will be the result
I did these in point form for my three main aims and colour coded them throughout the report. you can do different if you feel more comfortable. just make sure the marker understands which result etc corresponds with which aim.
v)METHODOLOGY
wrote about this already, you can write in point form if you like but if you arent too bad at elaborating paragraphs look more professional as if gives the illusion that the report is sustained. This is basically a DESCRIBE section
vi)RESULTS:
Basically EXPLAIN and INTERPRET what you discovered from your research. I found that when i had multiple methods to fulfil an aim it was handy to use sub headings.
vii) CONCLUSION
Sum up everything you found. outline your main arguments
viii) EVALUATION
This is where you look at your report and discuss its flaws and benefits and how you could improve it in the future. Discuss whether it was reliable and or valid form of investigation.
ix)BIBLIOGRAPHY
Be sure to set it out properly. your school will prbably have a prefered style to do this. basically acknowledge all of your secondary sources.
x)APPENDICIES
Any newpaper articles, surveys etc put in this section

REMEMBER: be sure to refer to ANY map, photo, appendix, diagram etc in the writing of your report. if you dont the marker may think they have just been placed there to fill up space (which in many cases they are, but u MUST intergrate them into the report to suggest that they are necessary to the report.)
Use BIG CLEAR headings. i find that a new page for each section is also a good way to keep everything nice and logical.
Finally dont leave all of this to the last minute. trust me, there is nothing worse.

ANYWAY, hope i helped, better get back to study for exams

sue89

HSC
Thanx

The_highwayman said:
First of all, you dont suck - i had the same problem...either that or we both suck...hmmm

Thank u so much i really appreciate what you did for me, i feel heaps more confident now!I tried 2 send you a personal e-mail but couldn't get through.Once again thanx you've been a great help...luv sue

rockets

HSC
N/A
Hey highwayman or anyone else,
How do you study summarise geography. Do you just go through all the dot points? Can you help us out as you seem know what your talking about. This is for Years 11 and 12.
Thanks in advance for your imput.

HSC
I summarise notes by going through all the dot points and writing things from my notes in dot point form. the summary usually gets to about 13 pages for each topic (types size 11 font - including necessary diagrams) then i go through and summarise these onto about 2 A3 sheets writing down key words, key examples etc. It takes a long time but it is worth it. it saves so much stress and is handy when writing practice essays because u can do an entire essay from just a small, concise bundle of paper

also remember to summarise as u go...perhaps u could ask ur teach if they will mark them for you and get them to organise a date for it to be due that way u might actually do it. i know it works for me

Last edited:

rockets

HSC
N/A
Thanks again 'highwayman' you should think about becoming a mod for this subject!!! they were cool tips you gave us. Ever thought of putting your year 11/12 notes up for others to see how its done???

HSC
i have considered it rockets. but as u can see i am only a new member and am still a little unsure of how BOS runs. also i just had my trial HSC exams over the last two weeks so i havent really dwelled on the concept of putting my notes on BOS.

As with the Moderator thing? it would be nice but it isnt really my choice is it? However, i think geography does deserve its own moderator

AbeGettysburg

HSC
hey highwayman

hey highwayman, does ur user name and quote come from a poem? how do i go about putting in a picture and quote in all my posts?????

HSC
my username is derived from the brilliant poem 'The Highwayman' by Alfred Noyes. My signature quote changes frequently and saying where i derived my current one from would just confuse people down the track who may be reading this after my signature has changed.

In regards to adding a picture or quote to your posts, refer to this http://www.boredofstudies.org/community/forumdisplay.php?f=61

More particularly http://www.boredofstudies.org/community/showthread.php?t=66218#header3
(assuming u mean you want to add a picture to your signature. If you just want one under your name then go to User CP and go to 'Edit Avatar')

Last edited:

rockets

HSC
N/A
Please,please Put Up Your Year 11 Geography Notes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HSC
rockets said:
Please,please Put Up Your Year 11 Geography Notes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I've got my summaries? (except for the first half of the biosphere topic...we did Kosciuszko national park...) I spose i could put them up but it may take a while for them to get through...depends, i've never done that before.

I think it is just easier for me to ask questions. in the mean time i will see what i can do about those summaries.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)