i&s Andrea del Sarto (1 Viewer)

steffiduck

HSC
We've just finished reading Andrea del Sarto in class, and i was wondering how this fit into the nineteenth cenury and ways of thinking. the analysis of the poem we were given doesn't (as far as i can see) make any connections with 'individuals and society", nor with Browning's context.

all i can see is a man who's art hasn't reached its full potential because of the choices he has made in life (eg his wife, paying off lucrezia's lover's debt etc)

HSC
This poem made me cry and you KNOW IT!
Firstly, his art being turned into a way of material gain rather than just ART is the critiscm of the materialism and importance of wealth at the time of Brownings context.
Thats all i can think of for now because im freaking out over something else, but ill think about more later :)

steffiduck

HSC
Ok

Post half-yearlies, and i can kinda see some link between andrea and the C19th (like how browning is criticising those who sell their integrity in order to be temporarily pleasured etc).

but i'm still having some probs relating it to the Browning's context especially who he is criticising in his society, like is it a particular class or group of people (like the upper class, the clergy etc)

bento

HSC
Browning reflects the real society of the 19th century. Unlike many other composers, Browning reveals the scandal of the 19th century. By choosing the dramatic monologue he is able to portray the truths of people rather than the stereotypes, ie a stereotype would be female powerlessness, but this is not the case as Lucrezia has ultimate control over Andrea (psychologically, economically - she tells him to paint for money, and spiritually- he loses his creative integrity by not painting out of passion, but out of materialistic needs). I love this poem as well lol.
So to relate to I&S, women have power, men can be dominanted by women (ironic), also as was mentioned earlier the condemnation of materialism, you can also look at the role religion plays in society, omgosh now you're making me want to write about Andrea instead of the Bishop...ok some more, even art relates to status, the typical role of the gentleman...

I can't think of anything else atm...ive gotta prepare something for the trials for extension arrhh

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)