"I+S" related material dilemma (1 Viewer)

madelyn

HSC
hey all,
I really want to use Austen's Mansfield Park or one of her other books as a related material, but have been told that since the prescribed text, Langdon's P+P, is already based on an Austen novel, i shouldn't use it because its too repetitive.
Has anyone used/is using an austen text as a related? Since p+p is technically langdon's text and in filmic medium, isn't that different enough? What should I do...

Jamo-S

HSC
I have not read Mansfield Park, but I am assuming it has many or at least some of the same ideals portrayed in the BBC series of Pride and Prejudice. Although it will help you convey the paradigms and such across to the marker easily, you're teacher is right, it's too repetitive. Langton's P&P is based heavily on Austen's P&P. Andrew Davies pretty much relied solely on Austen's text to successfully convey the 19th century styles of dress, mannerisms and language.

And choosing Mansfield Park as a supplementary would be like choosing another poem (or novel if he wrote one - unlikely i think) of Coleridge's to use as you're supplementary. The markers are looking for variety in you're texts. Choose something from the list of supplementary texts from the sticky above. Or better yet, ask your teacher if she has any recommendations.

You can also ask on these forums if any previous HSC student that was in the same situation as you are now.

EDIT: Actually I had a look at the sticky at the top, and it does suggest some novels by Austen, but most likely the people who suggested those novels did not study Langton's P&P.

Last edited:

grk_styl

is hating uni & study
on the dance floor with a bottle of tequila
HSC
My teacher once told me that in EE1, it is expected that we have gone outside the square we live in, in order to find different types of texts, whether that be different multimedia or different authors. I think that in doing Mansfield Park (while you may have read a variety of supplementary material), the marker may think you just took your Prelim notes (for example) or have not read outside the square you live in.

Have you asked your teacher? Using Mansfield would definitely be great in comparisons for your essay, but I think the marker may see it as a cop-out. There are plenty of other great texts so you can show that not ONLY was Jane Austen an Individual (or Fanny Price), but so were Dickens, Elliot, Tennyson, just to name a few.

Check out the I&S Supplementary Texts Thread for more options of texts :)

madelyn

HSC
Prelim notes? Lol, no I just wanted to do MP because it's one of my favourite Austens...
Thanks for your advice. I'm still not sure I want to give it up, because I feel like it's one of the stronger points in my essay and I remember seeing exemplar sample essays which used an austen related. Has anyone here used one?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)