I want to get into medicine, What should I do? (1 Viewer)

Triage

HSC
N/A
I am currently in year 10, and have started seriously thinking about what I will do when I leave school. I really want to medicine in Australia, or overseas. I feel as though I have a medium chance of getting >99 and feel it is a lot more reasonable to aim at completing an undergraduate degree before I start medicine.

My issue is I do not know how legitimately hard it is to get into medicine as a graduate. eg, Melbourne university, ANU, newcastle university, UNSW and university of sydney.

Do not read this as me cowering away from a tough task, I understand that it is very hard to do medicine.

I would really appreciate some advice as it will help to give me direction and motivation through year(s) 11 and 12.

Thanks.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Well, try your hardest and see how you go. By the middle of your HSC year, you'll know whether medicine is a realistic chance or a dream.

Alkanes

HSC
Well, try your hardest and see how you go. By the middle of your HSC year, you'll know whether medicine is a realistic chance or a dream.
This is true. Your dream may be shattered by just 1 single exam e.g. UMAT. So it is wise for you to think of other career choices too.

Memento-mori

HSC
In terms of graduate med, I have a cousin who is in her second year of med at University Of Notre Dame Australia. She majored in history prior to this. She was in the top 10 of her high school, and if you are thinking of graduate, consider

-GAMSAT (above 50 to be competitive)
-GPA (aim for HD and Ds)
-Interview (communication skills, etc)

Undergraduate med is incredibly competitive and very difficult to get into. Most people get in by graduate entry.

Sainteced

HSC
Uni Grad
I think most people get in from undergrad, and that undergrad is easier. Regardless you are at a good position if you know what you want to do now, better than me when I was in year 10. Study smart and goodluck!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)