I wanted to do a IT degree until I heard this................. (1 Viewer)

sghguos

HSC
N/A
I was thinking of maybe doing a bachelor of computer science IT at the UTS.

This is what I heard from people the other day. "I highly recommend you shouldnt do an I.T degree if you want a stable job, this is because the degree you are holding will get outdated so fast, its not worth effort and money you put into the degree"

What do you guys think?

a c

HSC
What was the background of the person saying this? Do they have extensive and recent personal experience in the IT industry?

Half the guys I know are computer science students, or graduates, and they come across as generally very optimistic.

I would try to get a few more second opinions before you rule anything out.

Whatever degree you do will get "outdated so fast" if you don't continue education, any university degree these days requires life long learning. There's no reason once you're in the IT industry you can't keep up with the changes.

MrBrightside

Brightest Member
HSC
N/A

This is what I heard from people the other day. "I highly recommend you shouldnt do an I.T degree if you want a stable job, this is because the degree you are holding will get outdated so fast, its not worth effort and money you put into the degree"

What do you guys think?
That's false. You have to continuously update your knowledge with the latest technology coming out. If you can do that, ur set. Even law students will have to keep updating their skills to keep up with the modern world. And since nearly everyone in today's schooling and working world uses a computer, I don't see I.T being an unstable career.

btw in the I.T degrees, rather than teach you specifics on current technology, they teach you about the processes and methodologies that will stay with you for the rest of your career. You then apply these learnt concepts with the updated knowledge you have found through Google (as an example) to master your Job.

Who told you this btw? Was it someone who likes maths or finance?

SnowFox

Premium Member
HSC
What brightside said.
As an extranote IT knowledge is always increasing due to advances in its hardware/GUI/software, but the basic foundations behind it remains the same.

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC

What do you guys think?
What a joke. IT is just about the most useful degree you can take! In fact, I'd strongly argue it definitely is the most useful.

There's just nothing else that comes close to it in terms of utility, high-pay, working conditions, mentally rewarding work, diverse job options, and personal empowerment.

I started out doing a comp sci degree in 2006. I dropped out. I figured it wasn't for me. Started a science degree a few years later, got a distinction average, and realised I was kidding myself - that there's just nothing that was going to come close to IT in terms of job satisfaction. So I transferred to a Bachelor of Engineering with a focus on embedded systems, networks, and software engineering. I have been having an absolute blast ever since and my life has suddenly started to just click into place because of it.

Moral of the story: if you like IT, and could see yourself doing IT as a career, just do it. IT is probably the one degree that is LEAST likely to get outdated, unless you foresee a dark age coming up some time in the near future.

MrBrightside

Brightest Member
HSC
N/A
What a joke. IT is just about the most useful degree you can take! In fact, I'd strongly argue it definitely is the most useful.

There's just nothing else that comes close to it in terms of utility, high-pay, working conditions, mentally rewarding work, diverse job options, and personal empowerment.

I started out doing a comp sci degree in 2006. I dropped out. I figured it wasn't for me. Started a science degree a few years later, got a distinction average, and realised I was kidding myself - that there's just nothing that was going to come close to IT in terms of job satisfaction. So I transferred to a Bachelor of Engineering with a focus on embedded systems, networks, and software engineering. I have been having an absolute blast ever since and my life has suddenly started to just click into place because of it.

Moral of the story: if you like IT, and could see yourself doing IT as a career, just do it. IT is probably the one degree that is LEAST likely to get outdated, unless you foresee a dark age coming up some time in the near future.
Sounds like you went through a slight journey, only to end up wanting what you started out to be as. As long as you're happy, that's the main thing.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)