• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

i was pretty stupid: can i get some advice? (1 Viewer)

mattk210

HSC
I put my first preference in for the wrong reasons and I regret it - i thought there was no chance I'd get into it. My second preference was commerce+science(advanced maths) at UNSW.

After getting offered my first preference I realize I would vastly prefer my second preference. Is my only way to resolve the situation to change my preferences and hope someone declines a comm/math place at UNSW so I get in? With an ATAR of 99.7, what do people think my chances are like?

edit: I just discovered someone doing my course is deciding to decline it to study interstate. I'm hopeful I'll have the highest ATAR of the people wanting to fill the spot so I'll be able to do the course I wanted!

One thing I'm a little concerned about is enrollment though. According to my friends the tutorials are filling up quite fast. Is there any way I can reserve lecture/tutorial times before I actually get the offer?

Last edited:

Without Wings

Super Moderator
HSC
N/A
Accept your current offer (as a backup) and change your preferences for the next rounds and hope for the best. Good luck! :)

chefman21

HSC
N/A
I think your pretty much left with hoping people defer or don't accept. Not much else you can do I don't think. I may be wrong though. Good luck!

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
I think your pretty much left with hoping people defer or don't accept. Not much else you can do I don't think. I may be wrong though. Good luck!
Yes you are wrong. Without Wings is correct. :)

mattk210

HSC
thanks for the replies, I guess it's my own fault.

Stupid question, how do I accept an offer?

Andi0390

HSC
To the right of your offer is a clickable "How do I respond to this offer?" or something like that. Click it.

Sorry you didn't get what you wanted. Accept this offer and hope that the next round brings you what you want. There are always chances.

HSC
i'm kinda on the same boat as you......
i think i died a little inside when i found out that there are no current vacancies according to the UAC report.

side question: anyone have any idea if international & global @ usyd offers in later rounds? :uhoh:
or would it purely be dependent on vacancy status?

runnable

HSC
Usually there will be offers in Late Round. I regretted my Main Round preferences too and had to change it for Late Round and did get it eventually. With a competitive ATAR like yours, you may have quite a decent chance. I believe you can find a pdf document with previous years' Late Round Cut-Offs.

P.S Here it is...
http://www.uac.edu.au/documents/uai/co09_late.pdf

I believe Comm/Adv Maths is a new course so the cut-off for Comm or Adv Sci is unreliable.

B Int & Global Studies 's late round cut-off was 95.20 last year.

Last edited:

rx34

HSC
I suggest you run to the faculties tomorrow and ask for an irregular offer of some sort. Make yourself known to the staff there. Call them too. Be proactive.

HSC
B Int & Global Studies 's late round cut-off was 95.20 last year.
oh that gives me some hope. thank you!

except...seeing as the cut-off for 09 main round was lower than 09 late round, would you say my chances may be dashed seeing as this year's main round is 95.70, which is exactly what i got? D:

mattk210

HSC
wow, thanks a lot for that document, runnable, it's very reassuring, I was thinking I had very little chance at all. Worst case scenario I can do normal commerce+science at usyd or unsw. I'll still accept the med offer as a backup though, as suggested.

thanks also rx34, I'll call them and explain the situation, see what they have to say, although I'm not too hopeful that route will get me very far.

runnable

HSC
oh that gives me some hope. thank you!

except...seeing as the cut-off for 09 main round was lower than 09 late round, would you say my chances may be dashed seeing as this year's main round is 95.70, which is exactly what i got? D:
The Late Round cut-off is often higher than the Main Round. Not sure about USyd Bonus Points system but for UNSW, HSCPlus also applies for Late Round. So whatever bonus points you got, it still applies for Late Round.

You're welcome matt.

HSC
The Late Round cut-off is often higher than the Main Round. Not sure about USyd Bonus Points system but for UNSW, HSCPlus also applies for Late Round. So whatever bonus points you got, it still applies for Late Round.
ajdhajklhfljrheuijdnlnc. if only usyd had an hscplus thing too...
alrighty, thanks very much :)

ademayd

HSC
Ummm. Even if you don't get accepted theres always next year; just do maths subjects for the time being and transfer next year. And you'll get in for sure. Dw uni really isn't that mean and a private talk with the dean adressing the problem will also get it fixed IMO.

rx34

HSC
thanks also rx34, I'll call them and explain the situation, see what they have to say, although I'm not too hopeful that route will get me very far.
hey matt, that actually worked for my friends applying for RMIT courses. I'm not sure about UNSW though. But good luck.

mattk210

HSC
I just discovered someone doing my course is deciding to decline it to study interstate. I'm hopeful I'll have the highest ATAR of the people wanting to fill the spot so I'll be able to do the course I wanted!

One thing I'm a little concerned about is enrollment though. According to my friends the tutorials are filling up quite fast. Is there any way I can reserve lecture/tutorial times before I actually get the offer?

runnable

HSC
No way to do that I'm afraid. I only enroled with a late offer but my timetable didnt turn out too bad at all.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)