I went to MacQuarie info day yesterday... (1 Viewer)

thommy

HSC
N/A
and they said that for the assessment mark we received, it was the exam mark of the person who came whatever rank you come internally.

Say for example John comes 2nd in Maths in internal results, and gets a raw percentage of 85%. Then Sally comes 2nd in the external, at that school, and gets 90%. John's assessment mark ends up 90%. Is this right? I can be quite slow at understanding things like this.

runnable

HSC
Not quite that straightforward. The difference of marks between ranks is also considered.

eg

1. 99
2. 74

is not the same as...

munchiecrunchie

HSC
whilst the difference in marks between ranks is considered, sometimes the gaps can be squished together/stretched out too. all the depends on the range of marks the school gets.

thommy

HSC
N/A
There are two things I can't understand about it though.

1. For Business Studies, I came 27/95, with a raw mark of 65% internal. It said for assessment mark, I got 84, and external I got 81. That would mean that I would have come lower than 27th in the external, with a much higher mark (81 to 65).

2. For Advanced English, I came 57/169, with a raw mark of 75% internal. It said for assessment mark, I got 84, and external, also 84. That would mean that I would have been exactly the same rank, with a considerably higher mark (84 to 75). I mean what are the chances of coming exactly the same in internal and external, and I doubt 57th place at my school would have been a mark of 84. It would have been lower, no offence.

Can someone please help me with this?

Timothy.Siu

Prophet 9
HSC
thommy said:

1. For Business Studies, I came 27/95, with a raw mark of 65% internal. It said for assessment mark, I got 84, and external I got 81. That would mean that I would have come lower than 27th in the external, with a much higher mark (81 to 65).

2. For Advanced English, I came 57/169, with a raw mark of 75% internal. It said for assessment mark, I got 84, and external, also 84. That would mean that I would have been exactly the same rank, with a considerably higher mark (84 to 75). I mean what are the chances of coming exactly the same in internal and external, and I doubt 57th place at my school would have been a mark of 84. It would have been lower, no offence.

dude, how can u now that it wudn't have been, and thats not EXACTLY how it works, its just a rough idea, those things dont seem unreasonable at all.

lionking1191

HSC
thommy said:

what? a higher mark is normal. your hsc marks get aligned, your report marks don't. scenario 1 is perfectly understandable.

as for scenario 2, you'd be surprised at the no. of ppl who get the same external and internal marks. especially at the higher end. and moderation does wonders to ur scores, you have no way of knowing what 57th place at ur school would be getting.

runnable

HSC
thommy said:

Your raw internal marks mean NOTHING. Nothing at all. It all depends on your cohort's performance in the HSC.

thommy

HSC
N/A
Okay, please bare with me because I absolutely suck at understanding how the whole HSC in general works.

So in Scenario 1, I would have definitely come lower than 27/95. If my internal mark was 81, and internal 84, I would have come about 30-36, roughly?

In Scenario 2, I would have come EXACTLY 57/169 in both?

thommy

HSC
N/A
thommy said:
Okay, please bare with me because I absolutely suck at understanding how the whole HSC in general works.

So in Scenario 1, I would have definitely come lower than 27/95. If my internal mark was 81, and internal 84, I would have come about 30-36, roughly?

In Scenario 2, I would have come EXACTLY 57/169 in both?
BUMP. Please, can someone tell me?

Timothy.Siu

Prophet 9
HSC
scenario 1, its impossible to tell, u'd have to know how everyone else went, and we do not know if the marks were really bunched out or spread apart, theres no real point of finding out anyway..

scenario 2, not necessarily, the external mark isn't EXACTLY done by
internal rank--->same external rank mark
its NOT ALWAYS the same, we'd have to how ur cohort performed and even if we knew that we still cant tell, its complex algorithms...

in conclusion, dont worry about this too much, its not that important, but then yeah u probably did come 30-36 or watever u said and around (doesn't have to be exactly)57th

thommy

HSC
N/A
scenario 1, its impossible to tell, u'd have to know how everyone else went, and we do not know if the marks were really bunched out or spread apart, theres no real point of finding out anyway..

scenario 2, not necessarily, the external mark isn't EXACTLY done by
internal rank--->same external rank mark
its NOT ALWAYS the same, we'd have to how ur cohort performed and even if we knew that we still cant tell, its complex algorithms...

in conclusion, dont worry about this too much, its not that important, but then yeah u probably did come 30-36 or watever u said and around (doesn't have to be exactly)57th
Thankyou very much. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)