Ian Thorpe quits professional Swimming (1 Viewer)

runtlocks

the diff'rence
HSC
Just saw this on the news, not to compete in the WOrld Championships or Beijing 2008.

matt#1

HSC
N/A
He has achieved so much already...and will undoubtedly go down as one of our greatest ever sporting heroes...but I still can't help but feel that he could have achieved so much more. Perhaps he will also go down in history as one of the biggest ever wastes of such a sublime talent?

In the end I guess the decision is his. Good luck to him.

cl3nta

HSC
matt#1 said:
He has achieved so much already...and will undoubtedly go down as one of our greatest ever sporting heroes...but I still can't help but feel that he could have achieved so much more. Perhaps he will also go down in history as one of the biggest ever wastes of such a sublime talent?

In the end I guess the decision is his. Good luck to him.
it is good he woke up - most people don't...

BlackDragon

HSC
i don't feel that sad that he's left. he sort of, overshadowed the rest of the teams (male and female) in a way, and i didn't like him that much. i just hope he stops getting headlines now that he's left and the rest of the aussie teams shine through into a new era of greatness. :D

timlay

is gonna lawyer you
HSC
what did he do after the olympics?

"train" in the us? more like. make a clothing line. etc. etc. -__-

he'll be one of the B-grade celebs. pffft.

well whatever. he DID win gold medals before. can't take that away from him.

i think it's disappointing he quit so young! haha..just watched news headline

"too young to retire, but he's hit a wall"

davo_

good kid
HSC
Sure he could have achieved more, but there's no point playing if ya hearts not in it. Its a bit harsh saying that he might go down as a waste of talent - he holds several records that probably won't be broken for some time. Australia's male swimming squad has died a little in the last few years - now there is only Hackett left (correct me if there are some others). I expect Australian swimming to go through a bit of a recession in the next few years.

bmc

HSC
let him go who cares. he made us look good at a couple of olympics. He would rather design fashion (ie. put his name on other stuff) so let him.

BlackDragon

HSC
davo_ said:
I expect Australian swimming to go through a bit of a recession in the next few years.
well that's not true. our women are world dominators. but yeah, males, not as strong.

timlay

is gonna lawyer you
HSC
yeah.. 9 olympic medals, 5 gold... a legend .

hmm. did anyone see his picture on the paper? looked really retarded :)

SiZmOs

"Shaken, not stirred."
HSC
how can you say he's lazy? he's been swimming for nigh on a decade, and he wants to try other things. it's his decision, and his alone. who knows, he might make a comeback into swimming. though i doubt it.

davo_

good kid
HSC
Even the women swimmers aren't what they were about a year or 2 ago - all of the Australian records have been broken by the Germans pretty much.
And despite his young age he has been at the top for about 10 years; if a footballer started playing firsts for an NRL club when he was 20 and finished when he was 30 you wouldn't call them lazy (and I realise the obvious higher injury rates of rugby league so don't point it out to me).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)