IB (at private school) or HSC (at selective school)?? (1 Viewer)

Neocso

HSC
Should I do the International Baccalaureate (IB) at my current school or take up the place I was offered at the selective school and do the HSC?? I always wanted to do the IB as I like the course and the teachers say it is intellectually more rigorous than the HSC but now I got accepted into a selective school I am wondering if it is best to take that opportunity which would mean doing the HSC? Anyone with any ideas??

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
Neocso said:
Should I do the International Baccalaureate (IB) at my current school or take up the place I was offered at the selective school and do the HSC?? I always wanted to do the IB as I like the course and the teachers say it is intellectually more rigorous than the HSC but now I got accepted into a selective school I am wondering if it is best to take that opportunity which would mean doing the HSC? Anyone with any ideas??
I would probably go for the IB - from what I recall a bare pass in that is valued similar to someone who got approx 78/79 for their UAI while getting even ten marks above a pass is enough to get you into practically everything at USYD. You also get a wider range of subjects in the IB (*sigh* psychology).

Ultimately though, a better way to base your decisions would be on whether each school would permit you to do each of the subjects you want and how confident you feel in each school's respective teaching faculty. Another factor that may come into it is if you feel that you would be ok with the change in environment as not everyone is good with new environments and so on.

HSC
N/A
I have an idea:

You should've decided this at least two months ago, probably more. Before you apply for AND accept an offer you don't even know if you want. That's what. :rolleyes:

There are so many clueless people around.

ianc

physics is phun!
HSC
2006 is the last year that UAC will be scaling the IB as insanely high. I know someone last year, who could barely write an essay and in the HSC would have been lucky to get 85, ended up with 96. So it will be interesting to see what the IB UAIs are like in the next couple of years.

But if you're happy at your current school, and are happy with all the subjects you've got for the IB then I say stick with it.

If you're not happy, or are only doing the IB for its scaling which won't be as high as it is now, then the James Ruse offer (which sounds excellent) is definitely worth considering.

airie

airie <3 avatars :)
HSC
ianc said:
I know someone last year, who could barely write an essay and in the HSC would have been lucky to get 85, ended up with 96.
Wow. That sounds kinda unfair.

Zephyrio

HSC
vulgarfraction said:
I have an idea:

You should've decided this at least two months ago, probably more. Before you apply for AND accept an offer you don't even know if you want. That's what. :rolleyes:

There are so many clueless people around.
They give you virtually one day to decide.

I don't know why you're being so edgy about it. People have second thoughts and muddied minds. Not to mention the underlying pointlessness and unconstructive nature of that post.

And, I don't know what IB is, but hey, do what makes you feel good okay? Make a decision soon, stick with it, have one mindset and no regrets, right? IB sounds like a really good thing to get into.

Last edited:
HSC
N/A
Zephyrio said:
They give you virtually one day to decide.

I don't know why you're being so edgy about it. People have second thoughts and muddied minds. Not to mention the underlying pointlessness and unconstructive nature of that post.

And, I don't know what IB is, but hey, do what makes you feel good okay? Make a decision soon, stick with it, have one mindset and no regrets, right? IB sounds like a really good thing to get into.
Actually, there's at least two and a half weeks between receiving your results and deadline for enrolment. And about two more weeks between deadlines for application and enrolment. Not to mention time to think before you send the application. So know what you're talking about before you speak.

Edgy? Well, there are heaps of people who want places and apply for them, and pointlessly lose them when people, en masse, apply and then change their minds. And it's not a one-off thing. Just think and decide. It's not that hard.

So, no. Don't expect me to be sympathetic and/or constructive. :rolleyes:

Zephyrio

HSC
Apparently, according to your logic, postage is all fixed and sent at regular intervals. Untrue. My friend got his application package and the letter told him to make up his mind in day before the deadline.

And, people who apply and then change their minds - their spots are taken up by people who have been put on the reserve list. Simple.

Some people are indecisive. Let them be. The world doesn't run according to your pace.

So now I put this simple preposition to you: Know before you speak, and don't hijack threads just to emit any kind of delusioned superiority you feel you have.

To the threadstarter: Have you made up your mind?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)