IBP Assessment 1: Wicked problem essay HELP!!! (1 Viewer)

koolkid59

HSC
Hey guys
So this is the Q....Discuss how the issues associated with broken food systems might be understood as a wicked problem
Can someone please tell me how to structure this essay and what this Q is exactly asking?
Really struggling atm...someone plz give ideas on how theyre going about tackling this essay Q
Can any1 plz send me some sample essays from the past?
Thanks in advance

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
You should start off by defining what a wicked problem is and try and relate back to the topic constantly. If you want I'll upload mine when I get home if I can find it? Its for a different question though.

builder2818

HSC
You only have one question to answer. Last year ours had two parts and a 600 word limit. Start by introducing your topic and what it is about. Then introduce the concept of a wicked problem and what they are, remembering to quote references.

After you have done that, relate the concept of a wicked problem and your topic together and explain how the discussion topic is a wicked problem - give examples and quote from your peer referred journals. Lastly discuss what is being done to try and address the problem and end with a conclusion.

It really should write itself - you will have trouble trying to get it under the word limit. Once I got the information I needed to know for my topic, I wrote mine in 20 mins.

Another tip: Having to source peer referred journals is a joke, you don't need to read a lot of the drivel you download off the data base. Read the abstract and/or introduction and pick one or two sentences out of them to quote or rephrase then expand on that in your own words.

Last edited:

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
Ok, here it is. As i said mine was a different wicked problem - digital divide not broken food systems. I got 17/20 which is just scraping a HD, main problems with it if i remember correctly was my referencing through out was really thin (as they were an after thought since it was last minute lol). I was lazy and didn't directly reference the H.W.J. Rittel and M.M. Webber text despite clearly mentioning it in the essay - definitely reference that as it was the first mention of the whole wicked problem concept so it's kind of the authoritative source. So make sure you reference more than i did and reference that source!

Also, to anyone reading this don't even bother trying to copy parts. You will have to submit your essay to Turnitin and this has already been through there.

http://www.mediafire.com/view/?amud9xmocbjhr9m

kwu1

HSC
Ok, here it is. As i said mine was a different wicked problem - digital divide not broken food systems. I got 17/20 which is just scraping a HD, main problems with it if i remember correctly was my referencing through out was really thin (as they were an after thought since it was last minute lol). I was lazy and didn't directly reference the H.W.J. Rittel and M.M. Webber text despite clearly mentioning it in the essay - definitely reference that as it was the first mention of the whole wicked problem concept so it's kind of the authoritative source. So make sure you reference more than i did and reference that source!

Also, to anyone reading this don't even bother trying to copy parts. You will have to submit your essay to Turnitin and this has already been through there.

Hey Brent, did you receive any other feedback on your assignment? Are we allowed to integrate the discussion of the wicked problem into separate paragraphs? On UTS Online, they had examples of previous essays that identified all the wicked problems in one paragraph? (we weren't given an idea on the mark range)

Thanks

broncos123

HSC
N/A
I'm going to be honest. If you guys are having a hard time with this, goodluck with University

koolkid59

HSC
It says in the marking criteria to relate the wicked problem to business issues.
So i think we have to relate it to how it provides threats and opportunities to the business just like the other years.
Can someone plz tell me what threats and opportunities broken food systems provides to business?...ive been reseaching for ages

barsorce

HSC

hi,

so are you saying you were referencing more to Conklin's perspectives rather than rittel and webber's? Is this what cost you the marks?

dizzlemizzle

HSC
these electronic sources for books, articles on uts library online are annoying me... when you download it, you can only download 32 pages at a time and once downloaded can't even command f to read the important stuff ahhh !!

barsorce

HSC
these electronic sources for books, articles on uts library online are annoying me... when you download it, you can only download 32 pages at a time and once downloaded can't even command f to read the important stuff ahhh !!
those books are all useless.

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
Hey Brent, did you receive any other feedback on your assignment? Are we allowed to integrate the discussion of the wicked problem into separate paragraphs? On UTS Online, they had examples of previous essays that identified all the wicked problems in one paragraph? (we weren't given an idea on the mark range)

Thanks
It really helps to integrate the discussion - especially when we were given a 600 world limit (+- 10%). The comments on mine iirc were just on the (low) quantity of references and that i didn't bother listing (well, i never used it) the obvious one.

hi,

so are you saying you were referencing more to Conklin's perspectives rather than rittel and webber's? Is this what cost you the marks?
Don't know if it cost me marks, but the tutor said he really would have liked to see Rittel and Webber referenced in addition to what i already had. Particularly when i essentially informally referenced that source within the essay anyway (laziness on my part). University isn't like school, very rare to get full marks for stuff in most subjects and it's not always evident why you lose marks - a HD usually means you have satisfied all criteria and your work is pretty good. Full marks are awarded for stand out work.

The thing to be careful of in this assignment is referencing correctly - need to follow the Harvard-UTS method perfectly. I believe the average mark across the cohort for the first IBP assignment last semester was something like 11/20 and it's because a lot of people stuffed up referencing or didn't address the question.

HSC
could you send ur essay for me o have a look? thx very much!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)