Idea strong enough? (1 Viewer)

vanitysnare

HSC
Realism is my forte so I have decided to do a concept about the 'Tough guise' boys/men (some of them) are taught to have, like a don't cry, don't show feelings thing. My idea is to do 6 panels of a3 drawings of 5 actors faces and the sixth is my boyfriend. is a3 big enough? Oh and their faces will have war paint on it (because I need to link the idea of macho-masculinity to these sensitive men, whose faces will express a range of emotions - anger, despair, sadness, affection, smugness glee, something like that.

good idea? one art teacher has approved as long as I can execute it, but other art teacher (they share a class) doesn't get it because she has the brain of a tube of paint. is the idea not obvious enough?

im good enough that the faces are identifiable (well the actor's faces) and its clear that its war paint. any ideas? keep the idea?

William92

HSC
Your idea sounds fine, and similar to what the other two guys in my art class are doing - in the broad sense.

It depends on how big you want to do them. You've got 6m^2 if you're just doing drawing - so if they're all going to be the same size ~1m^2 each would be max. size.

A video on loop, of the men standing there with their guise on could help to strengthen your idea. Close ups of their faces, the arms crossed, then v. short clips of their guise faltering perhaps. Whatever you choose.

fuzzy09

HSC
I like your concept, but i think it might be a bit obvious with the war paint.
Anything that makes your BOW's concept obvious wont get you a band 6... Portraying your concept in a different/challenging way is a better way to go about your BOW.
Think about other things like location and other sorts of symbolism

vanitysnare

HSC
I know, but I want to keep the close up facials and scarring them with wounds might make them unrecognisable? Also, what else would I put on their faces? (just honestly asking cause I have no idea)....

Video you say? Like clips from their characters doing tough or sensitive stuff of both?

William92

HSC
Looking at your example, if I hadn't read what you're ideas are, I don't think that I'd understand your concept. All I can see from your example is that there is a close-up of a face with two big, bold lines underneath.

You need to provide the markers with some sort of context to which they can relate this man - and the other five - with. Personally, I think it would be better for you to focus on one (or two) person(s) in particular because that would allow you to develop a personal connection(?) with one of them. Do what fuzzy09 said and think about location and other sorts of symbolism.

& with the video thing, an example would be: 17 sec low angle shot of man, arms crossed; 3 second high-angle shot of man cowering: with that on loop. That's just a basic idea of what it could be like, if you wanted to do that.

Hope this helps.

vanitysnare

HSC
Yeah I know, I've been thinking about that today actually. Okay, what about just the one person with a few panels of them with different emotions? And a video loop? maybe the images in the loop could be the screenshots im referencing to add more intergrity?

vanitysnare

HSC
And thankyou yes I love the help :)

So if I did one person still portraying that idea of macho/sensitive contrast (sorf of thing, real men cry etc) it would still make sense to show this person doing all the emotions (in the drawn panels) and maybe, just maybe a video?

Now would I need the video if I did this -

panel one - acting in a play - theme is sadness

panel two - in a movie - theme is anger

panel three - in a tv series - theme is joy

panel four - in another play - theme is despair/angst

panel five - receiving an award for acting - happy

Its the one person, and it gives that person more of a context. still kinda close up but not as close, and with a bit of background such as a theatre curtain.

that sounds near perfect only, then how would i represent the machoness if not with war paint? the war paint would seem a bit random and i definately dont want him in a football jersey each time,

?

cheers

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)