Ideal Units in HSC. (1 Viewer)

Ideal Units in HSC.

• Total voters

shuttle_bus5

HSC
accelerate some units ;]
i personally reckon 11-12 is best though. but that's just me, i get stressed very easily so 10 units would kill me. and i don't think the work load of 12 units is all that bad, it's pretty manageable.
How could doing less units stress you?
Like I said, anyone doing 12 units because they are worried about failing a subject and need 'back up' shouldn't be sitting the HSC.

nutcracker

the restaurant at the end of the universe.
HSC
go away muffinman >>.

i meant because if i do the exact amount of units there's more pressure to do well in all of them (as i think someone before already mentioned). but with an extra one or two there's room to bomb out but still do okay in the end.

edit: b00m mentioned it! it was him!

Last edited:

Imaginaryfriend

HSC
N/A
If you need 12 units because you are scared of failing one a subject then you really shouldn't be doing the HSC.
The only reason you would do 12+ units is if you have a genuine interest in everything and didn't want to drop it because you enjoyed it so much.
Agree. If you want to get a high ATAR, study the subjects that scale relatively well. Most students with high ATAR took: Ext2 maths, Advance English, Physic and Chemistry (10 units). If you want to do it for interest and the subject is poorly scaled, make sure that you are confident to top the state!
I recommend 10Units, if you want to do it for interest, do it in Uni

nikkifc

HSC
lol @ "ideal units"... it's almost like you're saying that "ideal students" exist...

57o1i

Premium Member
HSC
Lol I picked some of my subjects for such bad reasons. Eg 4U Maths because I promised my friend back in year 9 that I'd do it + 4U English because I liked the teacher and I was promised at least one pizza party. But I'd probably have stabbed myself in the head if I'd done any less than 14 units (would even have taken 14 without accelerating in S&C). Variety is the spice of life after all.

Misyndo

HSC
wouldnt you worry if you are doing standard English and Accounting, and you want a 98+ ATAR?

You probably need to be top 90th percentile for accounting and be very good in standard English (that scaled so poorly :()

octopie

HSC
11 is best imo. its not too much time wise whilst giving you some form of back up. free periods are a bonus =D
Mm. The poll didn't have a "10-11" option, I would've chosen that. I'm definitely not doing 12 units, and whether or not I do 11 units is if I can do MX2 xD

mirakon

nigga
HSC
The only reason i'm doing 14 is because I'm doing 4 a year earlier. Otherwise I have no idea how someone can cope with that many in one year, let alone having them all fit practically on a timetable.

gracee09

HSC
I think it really depends how confident someone is with each of their subjects,

But I prefer doing 10 units because I'm not putting extra effort into a subject that won't count for anything. This means I have more time to work on the subjects I have.

:)

Lauchlan

HSC
if you like your prelim subjects enough (and are good at them) then don't drop them.

if you don't like one or two (and are not getting the results you want) then drop them (1-2 units or so) but make sure you know what your doing.

in summary, those who choose the right 12 units generally won't drop down to 10 units.

more than 12 units and 1 unit courses, however, involve risks - only do this if you can manage them effectively.

Misyndo

HSC
If you do not believe me, Then it is your choice. But can you tell me what HSC Marks you need to achieve for each subject of YOUR SUBJECTS to get a ATAR of 98.5?
Standard English scaling poorly? I lol'd

Standard English 85+
Economics 90+
Accounting 90-95 (estimated mark that ive already received)
MX1 93+
MX2 90+

Also, inb4 unrealistic marks.
I go to a school in the top 50 ranking.
And also that you forget that its a goal that I'm AIMING and WORKING towards on so suck on my dick you stupid fuck.

Why don't you go and bash on everyone else for their ATAR GOALS/AIMS BECAUSE "OH ENGLISH ADVANCED SCALES SO POORLY" since you said English Standard scales poorly.
(In case you haven't picked up on the subtlety, English Standard and Advanced scales the same.)

maplestory

Autoplay Member
HSC
10 units would work for people who have self confidence.
11-12 for those who are not sure
~14 for smart pants/skirts

pwoh

O_O
HSC
Uni Grad
If I did more than 10 units, I would give myself too much leeway with each subject. That and, business studies bored me to death.
The only thing I've stuffed up majorly is English, which is going to count anyway (fml)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)