Ideas and thoughts on my PRELIMINARY CHEMISTRY TASK : ENERGY & HEAT OF COMBUSTION (1 Viewer)

Gussy Booo

Mathematics <3
HSC
Hey guys! Just using this as a form of research.

So this is my 3rd task of chemistry and falls under the topic of: Energy

So I'll type the general task:

In this task you are to design and perform an experiment to determine which fuel, out of the two fuels(methanol and ethanol), would be the better choice to take on an overnight camping trip. These results need to be compared to published data.

Your camping trip will be at a national park, so you may not use wood. You will need to consider the heat of combustion and safety of the fuel in making your final decision

Aim: To determine the experimental heat of combustion of the selected fuels, to decide which would be the better choice.

To present a report with experimental results justifying the choice.

This practical will be performed at school.

So, I'm thinking of using a calorimeter to determine this through the principles of water and it's heat capacity.

What I'll do first is perform some accurate theoretical study, and then see how I can obtain my experiment results to make them as close as possible to my theoretical results. (discrepancies)

Anyways guys, any advice, ideas or thoughts would be very much appreciated. It's due in two weeks, so I am in no rush. I just want to start early.

Thanks guys !

Last edited:

Shoom

HSC
N/A
Brahhh, I did the exact same assignment at MCK last year and got 82% for it, that was around 4th, I still got a copy of it in my PC.

shady145

Banned
HSC
i remember doing that prac. we used spirit burners XD

jet

Banned
HSC
Yeah, spirit burners and flasks of water suspended using retort stands. There's no point using a calorimeter as a styrofoam cup would melt. Be careful with methanol - it's extremely volatile AND toxic i.e. it will evaporate easily and may cause blindness etc. Ethanol is fine.
Though, if you are thinking of a calorimeter, just melt a hole in a block of styrofoam. That's what I did in my prac last year for heat of solution of NaOH, and I was 2 decimal places off the accepted value.

Gussy Booo

Mathematics <3
HSC
Thanks a lot jet. Got some risk assessment information from your comment.

Gussy Booo

Mathematics <3
HSC
HAHAHAHHA MICHAELLL !!! WHATS WITH UR NAME

MDM92 ! LMFAOOOOOOOO ! I LOVE IT ! hahahahah :)

Gussy Booo

Mathematics <3
HSC
Where on earth did you get mdm92 from?

Anyways ! HELP ME OUT HERE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I need to come 2nd in chemistry ok !

mdm92

HSC
In the marking criteria for the method dot point 3 do you get what it means by "shows clear evidence of modification"

Gussy Booo

Mathematics <3
HSC
Now you remind me what I was mean't to ask sir !

Ask tommorow I suppose.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)