Ideas for Major Works (1 Viewer)

xinxin89

HSC
I'm examining the historical validity of Jung Chang's Mao: the unknown story, looking her historical methods and her context etc and comparing it to other historians' works on mao

can someone tell me if this is a valid investigation.....does it actually have anything to do with all the historigraphical stuff we supposed to link back to?

haven't come up with the essay question yet, is that bad at this stage?

Triangulum

Dignitatis Contentio
HSC
xinxin89 said:
I'm examining the historical validity of Jung Chang's Mao: the unknown story, looking her historical methods and her context etc and comparing it to other historians' works on mao

can someone tell me if this is a valid investigation.....does it actually have anything to do with all the historigraphical stuff we supposed to link back to?
I think that could come under the syllabus guidelines of "a historian’s or archaeologist’s work", "contrasting approaches to a historical personality, issue or event" or "critical analysis of a major historical work", so I think you're right with your topic area.

xinxin89 said:
haven't come up with the essay question yet, is that bad at this stage?
Depends when your proposal is due. That said, if you've got your general area sketched out, the fact that you haven't phrased an exact question isn't too much of a worry. Probably ought to do it soon, though - you can edit it later, but it might help to focus your thoughts a bit more.

mallie89

Almost free!
HSC
I'm doing "how the representation of Robin Hood is affected by his context" focusing on 3 different contexts..
Why is it every way I spin that, it sounds stupid. What I'm really trying to do is to explain why Robin Hood has certain characteristics and characters in certain eras..

ybnormal

The depths of my mind are the safest places
HSC
maddy_d, human rights laws (for some reaosn it wont qote for me:burn: )

sounds good, find sum1 doing legals, cos thats one of the first (brief) topics we have to do. theyll at leats point you in the right direction, not to mention have some resources for you to look at and get ideas from...

cucum3rs

Queen Of The World
HSC
i have decided to focus my extension major work on Judas Escariot, but im not sure if hes covered in the syllabus already. im super stressed cause ive already done the proposal as well.

yeaaaaa i know. not the best idea in the world.

Triangulum

Dignitatis Contentio
HSC
cucum3rs said:
i have decided to focus my extension major work on Judas Escariot, but im not sure if hes covered in the syllabus already. im super stressed cause ive already done the proposal as well.

yeaaaaa i know. not the best idea in the world.
Judas isn't in any syllabus I can think of. He might fall partially under the 'Historicity of Jesus' case study in Hist Ext, but if you're not doing that one I'd say you'd be fine.

El-Tasho

HSC
Is it valid that the 1421 hypothesis and other examples of radical revisionism should have such a high profile when they so drastically rejects the orthodox?

Thats the question im thinking of doing, throwing in a couple of other examples apart from the 1421 hypothesis, looking at the sort of thing like, is it fair they should just be able to publish their ideas without them first undergoing peer review. that sort of thing.

maddy_d

Taper Jean Girl
HSC
ybnormal said:
maddy_d, human rights laws (for some reaosn it wont qote for me:burn: )

sounds good, find sum1 doing legals, cos thats one of the first (brief) topics we have to do. theyll at leats point you in the right direction, not to mention have some resources for you to look at and get ideas from...
thanks so much for the good idea but i actually changed my topic because i wasnt comming up with much. thanks again tho :)

georgie.girl

HSC
im doing something on the national museum.
Theres heaps of interesting stuff, lots of historians invovlved (reynolds, Windschuttle etc).
Very political. lots of recent stuff too, especially SMH articles.

Other people in my class are doing WW1 Generals, which is always good coz there is heaps of info & historians on ww1 and everyone wants to blame the generals.

Vietnam war has lots of stuff to look at.

Also.. Abraham Lincoln is quite an interesting chap. I did my yr 11 history project on the portrayal of him as either an emancipator/racist/oppurtunist. US Civil war is pretty broad too

Choose something you'll enjoy it makes it easier and dont be too scared to change topics if you come across something you really like... theres still time

GOOD LUCK EVERYONE!!!!

georgie.girl

HSC
mallie89 said:
I'm doing "how the representation of Robin Hood is affected by his context" focusing on 3 different contexts..
Why is it every way I spin that, it sounds stupid. What I'm really trying to do is to explain why Robin Hood has certain characteristics and characters in certain eras..
What about:

How has the representation of Robin Hood changed/been transformed over time.

georgie.girl

HSC
Or:

Account for the changing representations of Robin Hood over time

I dont know... good luck.

X

xeuyrawp

El-Tasho said:
Is it valid that the 1421 hypothesis and other examples of radical revisionism should have such a high profile when they so drastically rejects the orthodox?

Thats the question im thinking of doing, throwing in a couple of other examples apart from the 1421 hypothesis, looking at the sort of thing like, is it fair they should just be able to publish their ideas without them first undergoing peer review. that sort of thing.
*runs for cover*

I'm such a cynical conservative. I think I read the book in about 3 hours and dismissed it as quickly as the Zheng He and Kangnido Maps, that dodgy medal which was found in the Great Plains, and the alleged 'arrow head' from China.

With your question, I don't understand 'Is it valid'. Do you mean 'is it right'? Or do you mean to say 'Is it valid to say that the 1421 hypothesis has such a high profile, simply because it so drastically rejects the orthodox'?

Last edited by a moderator:

sickdog12

HSC
omg i just have been reading through the whole thread and realised that i have absolutely no idea on what to do?!?

none of the suggestions overly appeal to me!

i havent even started anything! i do modern and have always liked a bit of ancient i am interested in wars, personallities and yeah.... :confused:

i was disappointed that my teacher didnt go with the crusades option and im kinda interested in that also (religion aspect even constatine to some degree) but im afraid that will be to large and i will drown in my hectic life

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)