Ideas that have been done to death... (1 Viewer)

Grey Council

Legend
HSC
Originally posted by AsyLum
but tis a short story :)
What do you mean? You wrote a short story?

o

"my rock got 49/50", thought rock meant music. SHIT, it can't be music, can it? lol, its english. rofl @ myself

grk_styl

is hating uni & study
on the dance floor with a bottle of tequila
HSC
Originally posted by picaresque
They're looking for originality, but I'm pretty sure (fingers crossed etc) that the Ancient Greek and it's literature/mythology etc is a diverse enough 'muse' to cater for quite a few original students.
I'm doing Ancient Greek literature. Well no one in my school is doing it, so I guess it's pretty original. :p Anyway, doesn't one marker mark each school? Or is it region?

spin spin sugar

it's gotta be big
HSC
Originally posted by sugared plum
teen angst is probably not a good idea.
you'd think so, but there was a girl from my school whose work was like PURE teen angst and she got 48/50... definitely surprised me, i think the english teachers are on crack?

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by spin spin sugar
you'd think so, but there was a girl from my school whose work was like PURE teen angst and she got 48/50... definitely surprised me, i think the english teachers are on crack?
nah despite everything, they are looking for originality for those pieces within the showcase, apart from that doing a relatively safe story or whatnot can still get you decent marks

Cicciolina

HSC
I was going to do blondes portrayed in film (film noir, Mae West, Doris Day, Lana Turner, etc) and do a documentary on that but was told that it's been done so many times over.

smegger_em

Clever Cookie
Melbourne, or as it shoulda, could, woulda been ca
HSC
Gotta remember, a terrificlly done teen agnst will get you better marks then a poorly written poetic/dance/interperative film which not a person in the history of history has thought of before

No matter how many times a format (short story) or genre (comming of age/teen self discovery) have been done, as long as you avoid the cliches that go with them your safe. The quality of the writing is going to be worth the first 75%, the 'originality' is more icing on the cake marks

ps, i think the blond idea is terrific

Will_Sparky

Left BOS 8/7/2005...
HSC
Originally posted by grk_styl
I'm doing Ancient Greek literature. Well no one in my school is doing it, so I guess it's pretty original. :p Anyway, doesn't one marker mark each school? Or is it region?
Dont the markers all go in and just grab them off a big table (if so use Bright colours on your covers people, or ull end up with boring markers!)

Well thats what I heard somewhere

fuckfoot

has no soul
HSC
Originally posted by Will_Sparky
Dont the markers all go in and just grab them off a big table (if so use Bright colours on your covers people, or ull end up with boring markers!)
lol! i'd love to see a herd of markers burst into a room and scramble over all our MW
but i think they do mark by school or else some markers may get their own schools... and i'll be damned if the rest of you are getting more marks just 'cause your teachers can be bothered with marking for more dough!
btw, how much do teachers get paid to do marking?

Cicciolina

HSC
Originally posted by spin spin sugar
damn, are you serious? i think that sounds like the coolest idea
Originally posted by smegger_em
ps, i think the blond idea is terrific
I loved the blondes idea and so did my teacher, but then she was telling some of the other markers (she marked 3u, and the other markers had experience in 4u) and they said it's been done SO many times before and mostly not really well either - since they thought the topic was a bit superficial and shallow (no pun) and not literary enough. And basically if I did it I'd be taking a huge risk mark-wise. :(

So now I'm doing Revolutionary Poetry: Wordsworth, TS Eliot and Robert Lowell, and on a website. My teacher said all the markers are really excited about it :rolleyes: :p

cheeky_panda

HSC
Originally posted by Giant Lobster
heh... anyone know of whether my idea has been overdone?
I was planning to do something on The Matrix and its religious symbolisms / allusions
I was planning on focusing on the Matrix aswell but I was told it definitely has been overdone plenty of times. But if you do a really good job of it and blitz it you'll have nothing to worry bout.

grk_styl

is hating uni & study
on the dance floor with a bottle of tequila
HSC
Originally posted by fuckfoot
lol! i'd love to see a herd of markers burst into a room and scramble over all our MW
but i think they do mark by school or else some markers may get their own schools... and i'll be damned if the rest of you are getting more marks just 'cause your teachers can be bothered with marking for more dough!
btw, how much do teachers get paid to do marking?
It's illegal for them to mark their own schools.

Giant Lobster

HSC
my teacher is a marker
im not sure if i heard right but i think she mentioned getting paid like over $1k a week
but i guess its pretty hectic, a week of full days of non stop marking, with 30 min break for lunch in the middle

shoo

hey i'm doing discovery but its about a twenty fiv year old...would writing in the style of the nineteenth cnetury for some of my story be a cliche? i'm hoping i'll get a no?!!!

aud

HSC
There are so many people doing a piece that relates to Christianity and stuff in my school... especially The Matrix - steer away, it's become very popular...
Which clashes with my piece :D Doing critical analysis of how an author's (or producer/concept developer/writer/director etc...) purpose and target audience shapes the way Wiccans and Witches are perceived and portrayed in a modern society... so I'm using Harry Potter (which I don't like, but still), Charmed (my fav. TV show), and The Mists of Avalon (which is sooo good~!)... so it's like a negative/neutral/positive argument...
Does it sound too out there? I mean, I don't even want my parents to see my teacher on parent/teachers night because of it, they have no idea what I'm doing :D

Llyrai

My Beast?? 48/50 !!!
HSC
AAWWWW!!!
The registration of this site sure does bring up a whole shitload of twoble for me!
....*sighs Im doing bloody teen angst....
But at least with a twist, and not so in a cliched way.

Do you think there are many people writing about a gay teen?
Well, the story doesnt exactly focus on that, my protagonist is gay, but as a personal aim, im trying to get the audience to forget that he is...
Im focusing on him as a human being, his thoughts and such, rather than a homosexual one.

Its not THAT cliched...is it?

I figure since 95 percent of the population are straight, and how society looks down on homosexuality, that it wouldnt be such used idea. How many straight people write gay literature?

Anyway, get back to me. Byes

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)