HSC
hey guys does anyone know this technique:
"all brittanies are dumb. all jameses are arrogant. all hughs are cute"
thanks!

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
I was having a look at a technique list from https://artofsmart.com.au/literary-techniques/

Three techniques from their list seem to me like they could apply to the quote you provided:

1- Antithesis:

Using two sentences with contradictory or contrasting meanings close to one another, sometimes even in immediate succession.

There's a bit of contrast between immediately successive sentences: "all jameses are arrogant." and "all hughs are cute."

2- Juxtaposition:

Placing one character, idea, theme, object, setting, etc. parallel to another in order to compare and contrast the two.

In this case, three "types" of characters are being put together for the purpose of comparing and contrasting them.

3- Syntax (sentence structure):

The way a sentence is constructed – short, long, fragmented, compound, complex, etc.

The three sentences that make up this quote are all pretty short, so I believe you can definitely talk about syntax being a technique here.

I hope this helps! 😄

pikachu975

Premium Member
HSC
hey guys does anyone know this technique:
"all brittanies are dumb. all jameses are arrogant. all hughs are cute"
thanks!
Since english is a subject of bs'ing to the best of your ability, I can recommend some techniques I had in the back of my mind when I needed to BS the most:

- Truncated sentences
- Emotive language

That's all I remember atm

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)