Identity Definition - Advanced English (1 Viewer)

Aplus

HSC
N/A
lyounamu said:
Thanks for that. I shall copy and paste some of the definition to my own speech.
Hopefully your teacher hasn't viewed this post :p

Bobness

English / Law
HSC
N/A
bored of sc said:
Would someone be able to give me some more ideas to add to this definition of the area of study concept for Advanced English - Identity?

Identity

Identity is the individual, the whole self; the set of characteristics that define a human being. Each individual is unique, thus each individual has a different identity. This is shaped by personal, impersonal, communal, health-related, behavioural, physical, psychological, temperamental, cultural, spiritual, economic, political, emotional, sexual, philosophical and ideological factors. An individual has a distinctiveness that tends to reflect their values, ethics, morals, paradigms, beliefs and archetypes. One’s prejudices, assumptions, social constructs, stereotypes and experiences also play a powerful role in the influence and development of their identity.

Identity is not limited as a prescriptive, stagnant, unchanging means of classification and differentiation. It is dynamic, ever-changing and evolving in its nature. It can be shaped by both intrinsic and extrinsic motivations. Intrinsic motivations include physiological, safety, love/belonging, esteem and self-actualisation wants and needs. Extrinsic motivations include the influence of the environment, parents, friends, peers, paradigms and popular culture (e.g. the media, literature, music, visual arts, technology etc).

The individual’s awareness of themself and their placement in the world is a personal, conscious identity. How others perceive this individual is an external, impersonal identity. It is not limited or finite, nor can it be fully understood. Identity is complex but basically, it is who, what, when and where a person is as an existing entity or life-form.
This is a very comprehensive summary of identity. The only thing it lacks, is a link to universal conditions such as human nature and ontology and meaning.

Very good though, i will recommend this to my students.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)