If a teacher who marked a x-subject for the HSC for x-amount of years a good teacher (1 Viewer)

HSC
Uni Grad
If a teacher who marked a x-subject for the HSC for x-amount of years a good teacher in general?
If not, why not?
If so, why?

Appleorange

Banned
HSC
Re: If a teacher who marked a x-subject for the HSC for x-amount of years a good teac

No.

Reason? My IPT teacher. (If you went to my school, you would know)

She has taught IPT for 20 or so years, and has marked the HSC every year since. However, she cannot teach.

HSC
Uni Grad
Re: If a teacher who marked a x-subject for the HSC for x-amount of years a good teac

I agree with you appleorange
My last Japanese teacher last year, she was head marker, marked the HSC for Japanese for a few years (I don't know how long), lived in Japan for a bit and what not, and she got the basic of the basics wrong which I was close to hit her with something hard.

Appleorange

Banned
HSC

I agree with you appleorange
My last Japanese teacher last year, she was head marker, marked the HSC for Japanese for a few years (I don't know how long), lived in Japan for a bit and what not, and she got the basic of the basics wrong which I was close to hit her with something hard.
I mean. My IPT really does know her stuff. If you had a question she could definitely answer it. However, her teaching skills is about the equivalent to a sub. She will always dictate/give work sheets. The other half of the time, she will leave us to our own devices (as she is the admin teacher do, so she is organizing stuff with computers). So really, her teaching skills are extremely poor

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad

Not necessarily.

Some of my best teachers haven't been teaching that long in the HSC system or even teachers their entire lives and have been great. Three case examples against your rule, and I know some also that have taught and marked for X years but aren't the greatest teachers.

A) One of my best teachers taught overseas for ages, don't think she's ever marked the HSC here but is an absolutely phenomeneal teacher. I swear she has an analogy for everything.

B) One of my teachers' is very young, but she is possibly the most patient and the most willing to help explain things to you in different ways till it clicks. Teaches better than teachers with 5x her experience.

C) One of my other best teachers was a lawyer for ages and then randomly decided to become a teacher one day. Taught me to structure the meanest essays though, so absolute champ even though he hadn't taught the HSC forever.

So it's not necessarily X years and X years marking-one of the teacher's at my school has been teaching for over 40 years and he is not a good teacher but on the flip side, another teacher of similiar X years and X years marking retired and the whole school misses them terribly because they were messiah of their subject I swear.

D94

HSC
N/A

No, not necessarily. You can usually tell if they are good teacher or not, whether they've marked the HSC or not.

enoilgam

HSC

Not always - a HSC marker may not be a good teacher, whilst a non-marker may be a great teacher. However, having a teacher who has experience marking the HSC can be very beneficial with humanites type subjects and especially english. At times, some non-HSC markers in these subjects struggle or dont have a good understanding of how to approach the exams/exam style questions.

ncoul

HSC

Nothing worse than a teacher who knows the content back to front, but sucks when it comes to the application- the most pivotal thing

Memento-mori

HSC

I'll give you four examples of teachers who I know who have done HSC marking.

1. An English Teacher- biased because she's part of my extended family, but she is incredibly sympathetic and from my observations, gets along well with students. Great woman.

2. A maths teacher- my tutor. She gives me heaps of exam advice, such as 'only ever write in black pen for the main exam, they get scanned and we can't read'. She's told me she has read many papers where students write suicide notes on them, doodled inappropriately, etc. A really great teacher, she never yells at me for me being so slow at times (well, all times.)

3. My legal studies teacher. Can't control the class. At all. But he gives us fantastic, Band 6 level notes, and without him, I doubt I'd be getting results in the 80s and 90s. Writes fluently, and gives some tips that have made me a stronger writer such as 'a lot of people have a strong opening paragraph, but get weaker as they go on.'

4. My (ex) modern history teacher. I think he is a horrible teacher, imo. He never tells me what my mistakes were, constantly in class made me feel like an outsider, got really judgemental about exam marks, when really, it wasn't my fault.

imo, hsc markers don't really help much, usually, they don't give those little bits of advice that stop stupid mistakes. My favourite, and best teachers, tend to not have much HSC experience. The exception is my legal studies teacher- he really went the extra mile for me and other students.

Rohanco

HSC

Take the Chem Teacher at my School for example, she has been teaching for 30 years now, she has been marking Chemistry for the HSC for a number of years now. As a result she has become to too picky when it comes to her marking style, if your answer is anything less than a word short of a perfect textbook answer expect a 2/6 for that question. I'm not exaggerating at all, with this teacher the difference between a 2/6 and a 5/6 for a short answer can be as little as one word.

Focus is Key

HSC

It absolutely varies. Just because they mark the HSC it doesn't mean the teachers are good or even passable. I'll give you some examples from my school:

1) Advanced English teacher- She has marked the HSC for 2/3 years. She is the best teacher I have ever had and works amazingly hard for her students. The results from her class always exceed the other Advanced English classes by far. She has great resources, is brilliant at commanding attention, is very relatable and hasn't raised her voice once through the entire year. She uses the HSC marking to support her teaching.

2) Physics teacher- Knows the material well but absolutely shocking teacher. He is extremely lazy when planning work, his students never understand the work, his marking his extremely harsh and he doesn't even teach some chunks of the syllabus. He has marked the HSC many years but is a shocking, awful teacher and was part of the reason I didn't stick with Physics.

3) Biology teacher- Pretty decent if not below average teacher. She used to drone on for like 3/4 of the lesson and not leave time to complete any work thoroughly in class. She also is extremely picky and will never give anybody a mark in the 80's or 90's in a test. Basically she writes the solutions and if your wording is slightly off or isn't EXACTLY as she has written down you WON'T be getting marks.

4) Legal Studies teacher- Really good and is very realistic when marking. Her estimates for marks are almost dead on every time with the HSC marking. We learn a lot from her, overall good teacher.

moll.

Learn to science.
HSC

OP needs to learn to algebra. Title should be "If a teacher who marked a x-subject for the HSC for y-amount of years a good teacher". Stoopid. There is no subject named a numeral nor is the word "Maths" a number.

Blue Suede

a bedroom philosopher
HSC

Someone who has been marking the hsc for a number of years and continues to be invited back to do more marking would have a very good idea of exactly what's required to get top marks in the subject area.

Unfortunately, that doesn't mean they have any communication skills and teaching is a combination of knowledge and communication.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)