• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

If English wasn't compulsory, would you do it? (2 Viewers)

sunnalda

HSC
HELL NOO!
Im not really an ENG Person and I really hate it -

ronnknee

Live to eat
HSC
General answer: no

If we have to do it anyway, it should be treated like any other subject. The best ten units should count.

S1M0

LOLtheist
HSC
haha lol.

I'll repeat myself to further re-inforce my position regarding the subject:

NO. Way. In. Hell.

axlenatore

Scuba Steve
HSC
im not a big fan of english, i dont mind it, but it isnt my best subject. I wouldnt want to do it but it probaly benifical, they should change the contents to make it more related to use in life though. I also have an awesome teach who picks texts and films with sex as a major part of the plot such as american beauty. LOL its funny cause she is old :eek:

Last edited:

kay90

HSC
no freaking way.

i believe if you can speak and write english then youre set for life. (one of the reasons why i took standard english [that and im lazy to read a heap of novels] even though im capable of doing adv. + ext.)
no one needs to know what shakespeare meant in his writings, no one needs (or wants) to identify the challenge and response in movies and novels.

unless youre taking up journalism or any of those english based careers, but otherwise i think its a waste of units and time.

Tulipa

Loose lips sink ships
to the left, a little below the right and right in
HSC
Most people can't spell very well, have a limited vocabulary and don't often read anything further than the newspaper, which means they're not helping themselves in the first two problems. This is all post high school

So like, you're fucked anyways who cares?

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
kay90 said:
no freaking way.

i believe if you can speak and write english then youre set for life. (one of the reasons why i took standard english [that and im lazy to read a heap of novels] even though im capable of doing adv. + ext.)
no one needs to know what shakespeare meant in his writings, no one needs (or wants) to identify the challenge and response in movies and novels.

unless youre taking up journalism or any of those english based careers, but otherwise i think its a waste of units and time.
i used to think english was a queer subject like cafs or history and english is an insult to my technical capabilities, it contributes to my poor marks.

S1M0

LOLtheist
HSC
Tulipa said:
Most people can't spell very well, have a limited vocabulary and don't often read anything further than the newspaper, which means they're not helping themselves in the first two problems. This is all post high school

So like, you're fucked anyways who cares?
Quoted For Truth.

Tulipa

Loose lips sink ships
HSC
Um.

I'm all for English being taught, just not the current curriculum. Also, sarcasm? Or does that not compute? In regards to syntax and grammar, that is primary school failing you, another complete fuckup of the education system.

Read my next post, if the current English curriculum was overhauled that'd be fantastic but right now it's not reaching it or it's students potential.

Tulipa

Loose lips sink ships
HSC
Lucid Scintilla said:
My opinion on the education system really has little to do with this; the question posed seeks the opinions of posters on whether they would do the subject English, if it were not stipulated.
That's true but still I think more posters would want to do the subject if it were more perhaps "useful" post high school. I loved English but I know a lot of people who didn't because they couldn't relate to the subject matter or the way in which it was taught.

The "complete fuckup {sic} of the education system" is little more than your view of Australia's education system, and perhaps those of others who seem unappreciative of what the Government has done thus far. In fact, Australia's education system really has no "complete fuckups", thus no "another". For one, literacy is at 99.9% (according to statistics - whether you believe in them is up to you).

Primary schools failing students in basic syntax and grammar may be a reality, but you cannot possibly think that they should be; it might be a tad difficult.
Also, few people know how to use the semicolon, comma, and the period/full-stop.
I'm referring to the state system of education, where there are many different curriculums (yes there are large differences). Whilst there is a large level of apparent literacy, I know a number of twenty year olds who don't know what an adjective is, how to properly construct a sentence (me included sometimes) or the difference between "loose" and "lose". Grammar, spelling, syntax etc should be something that is taught but it's not. It is a failing of the system. The language skills of high school graduates these days is absolutely appalling, due to the fact that English has become little more than a subject in which things are memorised to get a good mark as opposed to actually learning something. That is also what I'm referring to when I say that the subject does not reach its students potential. It's not challenging enough.

[On education system/teaching: I'm for homeschooling more than in-school teaching. Why? I have met a few (American) autodidacts, who are, by sheer chance occurrence, geniuses; they are a testament to education without educators (other than themselves/parents/non-teachers). In addition to this, I reckon that it is inefficient for one teacher to school classes of 30 to 20, perhaps even 15, students. I imagine that this is rather economic; but that should not be an excuse to have what I deem insufficient tutelage.]
I've had a few relatives homeschooled. They're smart but at the same time rather idiotic with little common sense. I believe there needs to be more of a balance before I agree with homeschooling. I agree that class sizes are too large but currently when you pay and value teachers very little that that will be the unfortunate result.

Freshmex

Stapler Donator.
HSC
I don't see no harm in doing it. Yes, the course is pants but then again, it is not a subjective subject (< bad) so people can't just get go to a tutor and then emerge as a reincarnation of Shakespeare.

Besides, I REALLY want to do the extension-2 course (in English)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)