• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

If I do comm/law at unsw and do no extra curricular, will I be able to get a job ? (1 Viewer)

Futuremedstudent

Ancient Orator
HSC
N/A
Re: If I do comm/law at unsw and do no extra curricular, will I be able to get a job

So to summarize, a guy with zero social skills but with loads of clubs will still get exposed by experienced employers.
But these cases seem rare.
yeah :)

Crobat

#tyrannosaurusREKT
HSC
Re: If I do comm/law at unsw and do no extra curricular, will I be able to get a job

So to summarize, a guy with zero social skills but with loads of clubs will still get exposed by experienced employers.
But these cases seem rare.
That's a very poor summary of the extensive information provided.

But given that most, if not all, job applications require at least a two stage process - I.e. a CV/Resume and possibly a cover letter review (the on-paper consideration) and the interview process - a person such as the hypothetical you have mentioned would probably get around to the interview stage where their lack of personality will let them down. The reason they would be making it to the interview stage though would ironically be because there is an assumption as to the personality of the candidate with respect to the clubs they have joined.

But as everyone has said, when it comes to uni clubs, the benefit is mostly in being on the committee so those clubs. And when it comes to extra-curricular engagement, there are more than just uni clubs to evidence that.

And above all relevant industry experience reigns supreme.

But underneath all that is the importance of your marks. That's not to say they aren't important or that they are irrelevant, but comparably they are less important than the aforementioned.

Wow, thanks for typing all of it up, that's fantastic :) did u ever do debating when u were at school?
ok so the point is to join a club or something, have a great attitude and make a decent contribution.
No I didn't actually. I'm a little disappointed but it doesn't matter in the long run since your high school achievements/in general are expected to be stricken out from your resume anyway! :)

I can make the most of my time at uni to build those skills though, which I can also put on my CV :)

In regards to clubs specifically yes. But you should be aiming to make a significant contribution in all of your extra curricular activities no matter what they are, and also in your industry experience.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)