If i drop two units (1 Viewer)

hiphophooray123

Twisted firestarter
HSC
and only go 2 this semester.

does that drop my status to 'part time student'?

what are the implications of that?

Do I need to go into the student office and register myself as a part time student.

or do i just go to myuni and drop two units and do them some other semester? one of the ones im thinking of dropping is core btw.

would this fuck up my degree? or just prolong it?

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
drop from myuni should be fine. though theoretically speaking, you should forfeit your student concession card as well (since one of the condition is that you study full time.)

faculties may have specifics that you may need to pay attention to though.

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
Couldn't you just take a random subject in place of the ones you're dropping? I did it last term to avoid becoming part time (which would have been cruddy, and expensive).

Triangulum

Dignitatis Contentio
HSC
Nebuchanezzar said:
Couldn't you just take a random subject in place of the ones you're dropping? I did it last term to avoid becoming part time (which would have been cruddy, and expensive).
Expensive?

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
Yeah, but one course is about $600 or so as a CSP, whereas one course as a DFEE (part-time) is like...$3000. You do drop down to a DFEE student while you're part time, right?

velox

Retired
HSC
N/A
Nebuchanezzar said:
Yeah, but one course is about $600 or so as a CSP, whereas one course as a DFEE (part-time) is like...$3000. You do drop down to a DFEE student while you're part time, right?
Nope, you dont. Still CSP.

iwannarock

HSC
i became a two subject bandit without telling anybody at uni.

i assume it'll just prolong my degree.

van wilder forever.

:santa:

stazi

Nightman
HSC
yeah you basically just prolong your degree. however, you may also have to forego your concession card rights (although this is not usually enforced).

If you're receiving benefits from Centrelink you would also need to cancel those. Same thing applies for many USYD scholarships

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
I knew I was missing somethings. Thanks stazi for filling in the gaps =)

Also I vaguely recall you have a 10 year limit to finish your bachelor or something.

velox

Retired
HSC
N/A
xiao1985 said:
I knew I was missing somethings. Thanks stazi for filling in the gaps =)

Also I vaguely recall you have a 10 year limit to finish your bachelor or something.
Yes i think the 10yr rule is right. Dont think that's an issue here though.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
i thought the 10 year rule was the one where i can only have sex with boys over the age of 10.

grk_styl

is hating uni & study
on the dance floor with a bottle of tequila
HSC
stazi said:
yeah you basically just prolong your degree. however, you may also have to forego your concession card rights (although this is not usually enforced).

If you're receiving benefits from Centrelink you would also need to cancel those. Same thing applies for many USYD scholarships
majority of mq kids do lass than 3 subjects every subject. You're like a God if you do 4 a semester. My friends at MQ do 2-3 subjects, don't give up their concession card rights AND still get the benefits from Centrelink.

I guess MQ'ers are good at playing the system!

stazi

Nightman
HSC
isn't it because their credit point weightings are different?

ujuphleg

oo-joo-fleg
HSC
Yeah, MQ seniors are usually 8 CP per semester from memory.

Yes, as said above 2 6CP UOS will make you part time and if you're thinking of doing it, second semester is better because you don't have to give up your concession card :) Watch our for Centrelink if you're recieving benefits though, they'll get shitty if you don't tell them. Hope everything is ok Chris :)

stazi

Nightman
HSC
yeah basically to receive benefits you only need 75% of a full load (i.e. 18cp/semester)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)